HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 10:03 PM

I hate that they would close red river. The last thing we need is one less thru street from north to south, unless they're gonna put the light rail thru their at some point. Either way I was hoping for something tall and glassy, not short, spread out, and grassy... I've been wondering about where a replacement for the Erwin center would go in the future, and nowhere obvious comes to mind.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
Member since 2001

Did anyone notice that the south end zone of DKR is apart of the Med. School plans? The first link above shows the south end zone bowled-off and "orange;" identifying it as a possible building housing classrooms, labs, etc...

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 5:55 AM
Meh

If you look on page 173 of the PDF file, I believe it shows the allowed building heights within the CVCs.

http://www.utsystem.edu/sites/utsfil...l/5-2013ab.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 7:49 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Those designs call for a couple of buildings being added to the area south of Memorial Stadium where the arena could go.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 7:50 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Folks on shaggybevo are saying it might go on the Brackenridge tract on Lake Austin Blvd. That would suck.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 9:13 PM
Rundberg & I35

The Brackenridge location would be a horrible location for an arena. Far from campus. Far from downtown. Far from mass transit. Think of all the parking garages they would have to build!

I still think the best location would be between 7th/8th street and Red River/Trinity. I know the massive Erwin Center would not fit on just two blocks but it seems possible that a newly designed arena could fit on the 275 ft * ~600 ft area created by closing Neches between 7th and 8th.

In Eugene, Oregon they wanted to build a new 16,000 seat arena on a two block site that is around 200 ft at it's narrowest width:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Thinki...ne.-a083122140

"A professor emeritus of landscape architecture at the UO, Rusch proposes building a new 16,000-seat basketball arena that would replace the venerable but cramped McArthur Court."

"In Rusch's vision, the new arena would be built on two blocks bordered by Broadway and East Eighth Avenue and by Hilyard and Ferry Streets."

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 7:26 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 11:43 PM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...g-process.html
Quote:
May 17, 2013, 5:00am CDT
UT med school starts building process
Architect sought for one of Austin’s biggest endeavors

Chad Swiatecki
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Architects and contractors looking to get some of the millions of dollars of work associated with designing and building the future Dell Medical School at the University of Texas need to get busy putting their plans together. The application process has already begun for architects interested in designing the first two of six buildings for the new medical complex.

The university is taking request for qualification applications from architecture firms through May 31 for the research and medical office buildings that will be built first. The complete application packet is available under the “Current Business Opportunities” section of the website ...

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This is certainly on the fast track. I'm guessing the fact that the Austin of City has minimal involvement helps.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 12:04 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...finalists.html
Quote:
Jun 13, 2013, 9:52am CDT
Slideshow: UT Med School finalists strut their stuff

Jun 13, 2013, 9:52am CDT
Slideshow: UT Med School finalists strut their stuff

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

The four teams are:

• Austin-based Page Southerland Page LLP of Austin with an assist from ZGF Architects in Los Angeles

• The Ballinger Co. of Philadelphia, which is teaming up with VAI Architects in Dallas and Studio 8 Architects in Austin

• Perkins+Will Inc., an international firm with multiple offices, including a new one in Austin

• And WHR Architects Inc. in Houston, who is partnering with Lake Flato Architects in San Antonio.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 11:29 AM
~Hook'em~

I love the picture (7 of 9) for Wisky's Institutes for Discovery. That much street interaction would absolutely rock.

Whoever did the 3 (4?) story aggy building in the middle of that big lawn just need to stay out of Austin. Or Georgetown is that way ----->

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Those designs call for a couple of buildings being added to the area south of Memorial Stadium where the arena could go.
Build on the current DKR Memorial site, the Horns don't use it anymore!!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 5:41 AM
Meh

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/s...hing-hospital/
Quote:
Seton's parent company approves funding for new teaching hospital

by Joe Olivieri
June 18, 2013

Seton Healthcare Family's parent company has approved funds for the new teaching hospital slated to replace University Medical Center Brackenridge, Seton president/CEO Jesús Garza said.

Construction is expected to begin in 2014; the facility is expected to be open and operational by mid-2017, he said.

Garza said the hospital, medical school and research enterprises that sprout up around it are expected to bring 15,000 jobs to the downtown area.

The teaching hospital will be built on the north side of 15th Street, across from the current UMCB.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 12:11 AM
Meh

Austin based PageSoutherlandPage won the competition for the medical school.

PageSoutherlandPage has worked on a ton of buildings in Austin. They did 300 West Sixth, Austin City Lofts, AMLI on 2nd and the Silcon Labs and CSC Buildings flanking the city hall.

They also have offices in Washington D.C. and have done a lot of buildings there. Washington D.C. of course is one of the most urban cities in the country so we could see some of that style and design come to the medical school campus.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ns-ut-med.html
Quote:
Jul 3, 2013, 1:04pm CDT
Page Southerland Page wins UT med school competition

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Page Southerland Page LLP has won one of the coveted design assignments associated with the Dell Medical School campus, which will be built at the University of Texas. The Austin-based architecture firm in partnership with ZGF Architects of Los Angeles will design two buildings — the 241,000-square-foot research building and the 200,000-square-foot medical office building.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Austin based PageSoutherlandPage won the competition for the medical school.

PageSoutherlandPage has worked on a ton of buildings in Austin. They did 300 West Sixth, Austin City Lofts, AMLI on 2nd and the Silcon Labs and CSC Buildings flanking the city hall.

They also have offices in Washington D.C. and have done a lot of buildings there. Washington D.C. of course is one of the most urban cities in the country so we could see some of that style and design come to the medical school campus.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ns-ut-med.html
I like PSP's work a lot. They did the Austin Airport among many, many other projects. They have actually not done much in the way of building projects in Washington DC based on a look at their portfolio. I suspect they opened the DC office because they are doing a boatload of work for the US State Department designing new embassies, redesigning existing US embassies, and upgrading security at these embassies. Obviously they need to produce this work in a DC office in order to consult regularly with the State Dept. I imagine in the long run they will become a major provider of designs for DC area buildings. I think they will produce some decent buildings for the new medical school campus.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:29 PM

UT issues RFQ for Medical District 'centerpiece'
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Jurnal
July 5, 2013

Quote:
The race is on to pick an architect to design the Dell Medical School’s education and administration building. The structure is one of several, which will make up the University of Texas at Austin Medical District.

[SNIP]

The education and administrative building will be about 75,000 square feet and will become “the centerpiece” of the medical district, the RFQ states. It will contain offices, classrooms and meeting rooms.

[SNIP]

The RFQ process for the education and administration building comes on the heels of Page Southerland Page LLP of Austin in partnership with ZGF Architects in Los Angeles being selected to design two other buildings on the Medical District campus — the 241,000-square-foot research building and a 200,000-square-foot medical office building.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 11:24 PM

Of the CVCs that cross the Phase I property, only #30 is a state-imposed CVC. The rest are created by City of Austin ordinance. State institutions, including UT, are not ordinarily bound by City ordinances. Why would UT need to comply with a City of Austin CVC?

I think the plan to break up Red River is a really big deal. It will screw with both Red River and 15th Street, and there aren't good alternatives to either of these. The only saving grace is that, in the long run, it looks like they will re-align Red River once they tear down Brackenridge. Still, that's several years of disruption to the downtown grid.

I'd like to see a plan that preserves Red River in its current configuration, or times things so it is disrupted for a minimal amount of time. I'd like to see the single-use parking garage go. (Really, how many of these has the State and UT stuck us with downtown?) I'd be quite happy for UT to intrude into the City CVCs in exchange.

UT can stick the singleuse parking garage you know where.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBBradford View Post
I think the plan to break up Red River is a really big deal. It will screw with both Red River and 15th Street, and there aren't good alternatives to either of these. The only saving grace is that, in the long run, it looks like they will re-align Red River once they tear down Brackenridge. Still, that's several years of disruption to the downtown grid.

I'd like to see a plan that preserves Red River in its current configuration, or times things so it is disrupted for a minimal amount of time.
Hmm... maybe cut and cap Red River as part of a grid arrangement through campus? I doubt there's room to pull that off...but still, it would be better than eliminating that segment of the street entirely.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 1:54 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 5:22 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...ing-rules.html
Quote:
Oct 25, 2013, 5:00am CDT
UT trying to rezone prime land in medical school quest
UT tries to steer new medical school clear of height restrictions

Robert Grattan
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

The zoning change would free the project from restrictions — including the maximum height of 60 feet — imposed by three different zonings. The move also means that the city’s planned realignment of Red River Street and related traffic impact analysis will be put before the Planning Commission for approval along with the site plan for the hospital.

Documents submitted to the city show four buildings on 4.25 acres ...

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin