HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 5:08 PM

This morning one of my sisters sent me e-mail with fantastic pictures from a new resort called Candlelight Inn near York Harbour which is 25 minutes west from my hometown after she was given a sneak preview tour. I will post images this week when I have a chance.

Here's a link of the new resort: http://candlelitebay.com/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:41 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

That's a great area for resorts, the scenery is just beautiful, as good as BC or better in places. I was there in 2007, and really enjoyed the drive, although the road is a bit treacherous and needs some upgrading, and maybe some rerouting where you have to make strange 90 degree turns through some communities or go in the ditch.

Question: Is the CB courthouse under construction, or finished, just wondering??

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 5:03 PM

A few nights ago I chatted with my father on phone and I asked him about the Candlelight Inn. He provided me some details below:

- Its location was used to be a fish mill which was not used for a long time.

- The owner of inn used to grow up in York Harbour and he retired from his job that he held for about 40 years in Toronto last year. He returned home to build it from scratch.

- The inn has ten rooms.

What concerns me most is rats and mice from the dump site which is about 7 km from the inn, but I hope it will not cause any major problem.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 2:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ I wouldn't worry about those rats, 7 km seems like a long distance for a rat to travel. Is there any new construction underway in Corner Brook?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 8:03 PM

http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=222070&sc=23

Quote:

Not playing; Majestic Theatre has drawn its curtains for the final time print this article

CORNER BROOK
GARY KEAN
The Western Star

The Majestic Theatre, located in one of Corner Brook’s oldest structures, has closed for business.

The 600-seat movie theatre, the first one in Corner Brook to have a sound system to go with the moving pictures it was showing, was opened in September 1925.

It showed its last film, “The Unborn”, this past Wednesday night.

Neville Kean, who initially co-owned the building with the late Phonse (Buck) Tavenor and took sole possession of the theatre in the mid-1980s, said the theatre has not been a viable business for a long time now. He has poured his own money into the operation for the last 10 years, but has finally got an offer for the building and it looks as though it will be sold.

“People in Corner Brook talk about going to the movies, but they just don’t go,” Kean said Friday. “Last week, we had five nights where we never had one soul in the theatre.”

Kean, who said the theatre didn’t generate enough revenue to re-invest in the building, said he has received a purchase offer for the church-like building and the deal could be finalized by the end of April.

Frances Gill, the theatre’s lone employee, had been working at the theatre for 31 years.

She started work just after the box-office hit Star Wars was shown there in 1977. Among her fondest memories were the extended runs of Titanic in 1997 and The Grinch in 2000.

“It’s heartbreaking to see after working there all that time,” said Gill.

“I’ve never seen it (business) as bad as it has been in the last two weeks.”

Gill isn’t sure if it’s the economy or the fact many people simply download newly-released movies off the Internet for free that spelled the end for the Majestic. Maybe it’s a combination of both, she said.

“We would still get customers coming to the theatre and say ‘I’ve already seen this movie, but I wanted to see it on the big screen,” said Gill. “I think that, these days, it has to be a really big movie to draw in a crowd.”

The Majestic Theatre, which used to house public meetings on occasion, is one of Corner Brook’s distinct landmarks. The reinforced concrete building was gutted by fire in April 1, 1979, but was rebuilt and reopened in October of the same year.

It has saddened me to see one of my favorite hangouts gone during my teen years for good. I remember I watched Jaws when I went there for the first time. Many thanks for the memories, Majestic Theatre!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 8:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Is there another movie theatre in Corner Brook? The city is big enough, there must be....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 9:15 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Looks like there is another one (the Millbrook - owned by Empire), but it only has 2 screens.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 10:36 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Photo of the Majestic Theatre:

(Photo by me, 2007)

I would hope they can still use it as a theatre or public hall in some way. It would be a shame for this historic building to go to waste.
It also fronts on Corner Brook's Public Square.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
Looks like there is another one (the Millbrook - owned by Empire), but it only has 2 screens.
I rather go to Majestic Theatre than Millbrook Cinema because the Majestic has a true atmosphere for a movie theatre.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Photo of the Majestic Theatre:

(Photo by me, 2007)

I would hope they can still use it as a theatre or public hall in some way. It would be a shame for this historic building to go to waste.
It also fronts on Corner Brook's Public Square.
I can check in with my brother in law who is involved with Corner Brook business community about its future.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 5:38 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

More Western Nfld news:

Quote:
Between a rock and a hard place
The Telegram

With its release of an environmental document late last week, the province's new energy company seems to have put its foot into a heap of hurt.

Planning a major transmission line from Labrador to St. John's, the company has proposed, among other things, building a transmission corridor right through the national park that is always prominent in the government's own tourism advertising.

The route by Nalcor Energy through Gros Morne National Park is hardly going to be inconspicuous.

In total, the company proposes 64 kilometres of transmission lines through the park with a tower every 300 metres, or something close to 200 individual towers.

The towers are scheduled to be between 38 and 49 metres high, averaging 43 metres high, and they will sit on a 60-metre wide corridor inside the park.

By and large, the towers would follow the road through the park. But when you think about what's involved, it's important to keep scale in mind.

Forty-three metres is about 141 feet. Confederation Building, for example, is 64 metres high to the tip of its tower, so a single transmission tower plonked down in the parking lot out front would stretch two-thirds of the way up the front of the building.

The 60-metre-wide corridor the power lines will run along will mean a continuous cleared right-of-way as wide as two-thirds of the length of a football field.

Wider, that is, than the length of an Olympic-sized swimming pool, and stretching through 64 kilometres of parkland.
Read the rest here:
http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=222216&sc=80

It would seem that going around the park and not through it would be the better option; that's if it ever comes into reality.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:10 PM

yesterday I got e-mail from my brother in law about the future of Majestic Theatre and he said he did not know any knowledge about its future.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 8:41 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I asked a moderator to change the name of this thread to "Western-Central Newfoundland & Labrador Developments". Even though most of the news might be from the Corner Brook area, I am thinking that there are topics from all areas of the island West of the Avalon, and Labrador, that might come up sometime and can be included.

If anybody objects, we can change it again.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 4:57 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Corner Brook council issues bid for new city hall
Tuesday, April 7, 2009 CBC News
After a few delays, construction is finally poised to start on a new city hall for Corner Brook.

Council awarded a tender Monday evening to Quebec-based company Pomerleau Construction.

A tender for the building in the city, the largest community on Newfoundland's west coast, has been delayed several times.

Pomerleau bid about $19.8 million for the job.

Last October, council cancelled the competition for the project altogether, claiming all bids submitted were too high.

Council expects the new city hall to be open by January 2011.
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...rook-hall.html

The New City Hall was announced, I believe, in 2007. It was supposed to include a public library, but I'm unsure if that's part of the project anymore (?).

Renderings Here: http://www.cornerbrook.com/cityhall/cbhall4.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 1:23 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Labrador City - Wabush Amalgamation

Quote:
Towns agree on terms for amalgamation study
The Telegram

The mayors of Labrador City and Wabush announced today that things are coming together on the issue of amalgamation of their communities.
Labrador City Mayor Graham Letto and Wabush Mayor Jim Farrell said both their councils have agreed on terms of reference for an upcoming feasibility study.
The terms of reference outline the scope of what the commissioner — John Roil — will evaluate when developing his report on the issue.
“Mr. Roil is an experienced solicitor,” Farrell said. “His appointment as commissioner has been endorsed by both councils.”
Letto said the information from the report will be used to allow residents of both communities to make an informed decision when a plebiscite on amalgamation takes place.

23/04/09
http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=245018&sc=79

Using figures from the 2006 census, the amalgamated towns would have a population of 8,979. At their peak in the 70's or 80's the population was around double of that, or maybe more.

In general, the towns of Western, Central Nfld, & Labrador have been declining in population for the most part over the last two or three decades as the result of a decline in various resource industry. The hardest hit recently has been Grand Falls-Windsor, with the closure of the paper mill, and I predict you will see population declines there too. So far, Corner Brook and Gander are some of the few bright spots since they serve as regional centers and their economies have been doing well.

Last edited by Architype; Apr 26, 2009 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:24 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

As I noted above, I thought it would be good to have a thread in which we can include news for Labrador and central parts of the island. Although I don't mean to lessen the importance of Corner Brook, I don't think there is enough development type news or discussion to warrant another exclusive thread for the rest of the province.

The Trans-Labrador Highway is the most important road link yet to be completed in the province. It will finally link the coast of Labrador, and the island via ferry with the rest of the country -

Quote:
Government issues tender for section of Trans-Labrador Highway
The Telegram

The provincial government has issued a tender for construction of the second last section of Phase 3 of the Trans-Labrador Highway.

As part of the tender, about 30 kilometres of Route 500 will be constructed this year, from Cartwright Junction to Goose Bay.

“It is satisfying to know that our government is getting closer to finishing the TLH with every tender we issue,” Transportation Minister Trevor Taylor said.

This year, the provincial government will spend $32.5 million to complete Phase 3 of the TLH. In the coming weeks, tenders will be issued for the construction of another bridge and the final 20 kilometres of road.

27/04/09
Article here:
http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=245840&sc=79

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 1:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Corner Brook being considered as alternate port for Straits ferry
By Gary Kean, Transcontinental Media
May 15, 2009

Source: The Western Star

[CORNER BROOK, NL] - With the ferry servicing the Strait of Belle Isle unable to operate due to ice conditions for the last 10 days, thoughts have turned again to the idea of an alternate port on the Newfoundland side of the crossing.
Source Article Here:
http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/2009...straits-ferry/

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 12:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Expansion plans for the Sir Wilfred Grenfell College campus in Corner Brook can be found here in PDF format:
http://www.swgc.mun.ca/admin/Documen...PowerPoint.pdf

http://www.swgc.mun.ca/admin/Documen...PowerPoint.pdf

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 12:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Two unrelated questions:

(1) - I know there is a movement afoot to split Sir Wilfred Grenfell College from MUN. How far along is this and what will they call the new university if this happens?

(2) - Regarding the Trans Labrador Highway; how much of this highway is paved and are there any plans to pave it completely? Are there any services along the highway?

Thanks.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 12:46 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Two unrelated questions:

(1) - I know there is a movement afoot to split Sir Wilfred Grenfell College from MUN. How far along is this and what will they call the new university if this happens?

(2) - Regarding the Trans Labrador Highway; how much of this highway is paved and are there any plans to pave it completely? Are there any services along the highway?

Thanks.
To the first question, I think it is still coming along, but it may be delayed. I will check with some sources.

To the second question, this year they are supposed to complete phase 3 (from Goose Bay to Cartwright), and start paving the section between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Wabush.

Last edited by Architype; May 24, 2009 at 2:27 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces