HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:04 PM

Why the town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The town of Riverview has issued an RFP for a "feasibility study" for the proposed community wellness centre which possibly may be built in the Mill Creek Nature Park.

The proposed centre may include ice surfaces, a pool, an indoor walking track, other fitness features as well as community meeting space and a cafe.

The study will look at conceptual development, possible partnerships and business models for the development.

About $85,000 has been budgeted for this part of the process…….

The wellness centre would be the larger building with the circular roof feature in this rendering of the proposed Mill Creek development:
I've heard there is another group separate from the town that want to build a sport and recreation facility. Why wouldn't the town let that group do the sports and recreation piece and focus on all of the other things that are on that pretty diagram they have for Mill Creek? Is just doesn't make sense to me.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:30 PM

Something smells very fishy in Riverview and it comes via the council. Ask yourself why an external firm is now telling our elected officials what he/she should be given in terms of a fee. You just can't make this stuff up. If I was to go out on a limb, I'd say that the same firm who scored nearly $30,000 for the Mill Creek Park plan will scoop up this $85,000 fee. Feel free to Google this and come to your own conclusions.#fishy

"Councillor Toner remarked that the company performing current work in connection with the Civic Centre has recommended the $70,000 figure be increased to $85,000 to perform a Feasibility Study. He noted that a draft report will be shared with Council in the future. The members of Council reached a consensus to increase the budget figure of $70,000 for the Feasibility study to $85,000." This is taken directly from council minutes.
http://www.townofriverview.ca/upload...0006618110.pdf

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 8:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, I see that Riverview spent $6,000 on a feasibility report to see if there was a market for a hotel in the town. Specifically, they wanted to see if a hotel could be included in the Mill Creek development, or up by the clubhouse at the Moncton Golf Club.

Not surprisingly, the consultants said that there is currently no justification for a hotel in the town (I could have told town council the same thing for $20 - just imagine the savings).

If I were to put a hotel in Riverview, I would wait for the Fundy Trail to finally be completed, and then I would build a modest 60-80 room motel somewhere on the Hillsborough Road on the east end of town. A location here would capture tourists heading into Moncton after the day trip along the Fundy Trail from Saint John. A motel here could survive on tourist traffic in the summer and fall seasons, and might not impact too much on the existing inventory of hotel rooms in the metro area.

But then again, I'm not a consultant - what do I know……..

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 8:20 PM

The Town motto shouldn't be "A Great Place to Grow". It should be...
"A Great Place to Do Studies... and Waste Tax Dollars".

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 6:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
According to the T&T, a new commercial plaza will be built on Pinewood Rd in Findlay Park this summer.

Pinewood Plaza is being developed by Adelin Properties, and will encompass 10 units totalling nearly 20,000 sq ft.
Further to the above, here is a photo of the sign currently posted on the property:

This is unquestionably a very generic strip mall development, but it is encouraging to see Findlay Park gradually filling in. The area appears close to fulfilling it's destiny as the neighbourhood shopping centre for the town of Riverview. With this strip, Pinewood Road will probably be 75% complete in terms of commercial development.

While most urbanists on the forum would decry ongoing sprawl, there are nearly 20,000 people living in Riverview, and if they can satisfy most of their routine shopping requirements on the south side of the river, then this should help to reduce traffic congestion elsewhere in the metro area and cut down on carbon emissions.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:16 PM

Great seeing new development in the Findlay Park area.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Southeastern Mutual Insurance Company is going before Riverview PAC with a proposal to annex the residential lot immediately behind their building at 21 McClellan Avenue, and change it's designation from residential to suburban commercial in order to allow for future expansion of their business.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This image shows the future road network planned for east Riverview behind the Nav Can Moncton Area Control Centre.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 6:22 AM

http://www.townofriverview.ca/en/our...NetworkMap.pdf
This is the lot map for the same area.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 2:13 PM

I know this is random but has anyone noticed that all the photos seem to be blocked now ? I can't see anything it says to upgrade photobucket?

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have a free photobucket account. There is a monthly bandwidth limit of 10 gigabytes on free accounts which I have apparently exceeded (for the first time). I established the account sometime around the 20th of the month, so once the new monthly period starts in a few days, the problem should go away.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 18, 2014 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 1:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, it appears that previous plans to attach a McDonald's restaurant to the Irving station on Coverdale Road are now toast.

This is the new plan:

So, the new McDonald's will be going across the street where the old KFC used to be. To me, this seems like the better location anyway. The NIMBY's should be pleased……..

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 2:22 AM

Pretty small parking lot. You'd think they could pick a better spot then either of the two locations they've picked so far.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Well, it appears that previous plans to attach a McDonald's restaurant to the Irving station on Coverdale Road are now toast.

So, the new McDonald's will be going across the street where the old KFC used to be. To me, this seems like the better location anyway. The NIMBY's should be pleased……..
Common sense prevails!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 12:49 PM
Random Contributor

The Chocolate River Station is getting a new tenant.

Black Tie Bistro

A little more high end for Riverview with live music.

www.Blacktiebistro.com

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 10:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Details for the pending addition to Riverview High School:

- three new classrooms
- general storage room
- woodworking shop
- metal/automotive shop
- shared technology classroom

in total an additional 3,700 sq ft. The timeline for the new addition to the high school has not been revealed. The addition will allow for an expanded student body of 1,164 students.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 1:19 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

surely you mean a 3700 sq meter expansion?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 6:04 PM

Looks like this project is going forward soon.
https://www.facebook.com/RiverviewEC

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 8:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm not sure what to think of this announcement.

The proposal is certainly ambitious:
- Two pad hockey rink with one arena seating 1,500 spectators.
- Indoor soccer pitch
- Pool
- Gymnasium
- Walking track
- Indoor tennis courts
- 300 seat community theatre
- Meeting rooms (and presumably some concessions).

This proposal is at odds with town council's own plans for a community centre as part of the Mill Creek development, and there isn't room for both developments in the town. I get the impression that town council isn't really behind this proposal. Support by the mayor and councillors seems lukewarm at best.

In addition, these guys probably aren't sufficiently capitalized to get this off the ground, and without significant private sector partners and governmental support, I can't imagine how this is going to fly. This proposal would easily cost tens of millions of dollars. Who are the backers???

For the time being, I will file this under "pipe dream".

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what to think of this announcement.

The proposal is certainly ambitious:
- Two pad hockey rink with one arena seating 1,500 spectators.
- Indoor soccer pitch
- Pool
- Gymnasium
- Walking track
- Indoor tennis courts
- 300 seat community theatre
- Meeting rooms (and presumably some concessions).

This proposal is at odds with town council's own plans for a community centre as part of the Mill Creek development, and there isn't room for both developments in the town. I get the impression that town council isn't really behind this proposal. Support by the mayor and councillors seems lukewarm at best.

In addition, these guys probably aren't sufficiently capitalized to get this off the ground, and without significant private sector partners and governmental support, I can't imagine how this is going to fly. This proposal would easily cost tens of millions of dollars. Who are the backers???

For the time being, I will file this under "pipe dream".
It is for sure ambitious, but I went to the event and they had Andrews Hockey School and Wee College there as future tenants. So that's more than I've seen from the town's feasibility studies (except for the price tag).

Then I read the mayor's comments which sounded like even with the results of the feasibility study, the town doesn't have any timelines or plans to begin working on their proposal for another 10 years I believe she said (might have misread that) YIKES!

The down side to a site owned by the town is I'm sure it will result in higher taxes in order to support the cost of the building and it operations. I like the idea of private partners to fund at least part of it.

The down side of the REC is that it will need tens of millions in order to build like you said Moncton Rad, and that's hard to raise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces