HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 4:31 AM

^^^^^^

I call it 'the prison yard.'

--
Curious if anyone has nominated it for worst building of 2016 yet?
Just like we catch hell for Portlandia building. Maybe this can take over that distinction as the worst building in our fair city.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 4:47 AM

Thumbs down

Sh*t stick

It's sad that a bait and switch can be pulled on the tax-payers who end up subsidizing lining the pockets of some jackass developer through property tax waivers. They're trying to build a prison, a prison for you to live in. At least it looks the part. Nice views from your cell, I'd imagine.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:37 PM

Notice of a Type II Proposal [PDF] for changes to what was previously approved through Design Review. Pretty minor stuff that doesn't really address the body of the tower.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 9:03 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

They're already pre-leasing apartments and expect to have people moving in by August. $1768 to $1993 for a 1 bedroom. Studios start at over $1500. I can't imagine how they'll have the time to fix this thing before it opens, but how could they possibly fix it after people have moved in? Time will tell.

Tick tock.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:53 AM

Solitary cell in the top block will run you $4,673. 💸

http://yardpdx.com/leasing/

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingman View Post
Solitary cell in the top block will run you $4,673. 💸

lol

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:55 AM

$1500 for a small studio: Affordable Housing?

Hard to tell how many windows this cell has. I'm sure it must have at least one 30 inch wide window . . . . . .

Still, the plan looks more like a prison cell than appartment, not sure paying $1500 to $1750 for a studio is considered affordable.

If you not making $20 per hour, you would have a hard time coming up with your monthly rent.

Portland Native.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 6:01 AM

Those are the prices for the market rates units. The affordable units (20% of the building) are a lot less.

Last edited by maccoinnich; May 6, 2016 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 5:47 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Holy crap, why?!?

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 6:01 PM

...oh, I see. The lower floors with peek-a-boo windows are the "affordable" ones.

That's pretty clever of the developer to reserve all of the lower, darker units for those of lesser means in exchange for a 10-year tax abatement on the entire residential portion of the building.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:11 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESteve View Post
...oh, I see. The lower floors with peek-a-boo windows are the "affordable" ones.

That's pretty clever of the developer to reserve all of the lower, darker units for those of lesser means in exchange for a 10-year tax abatement on the entire residential portion of the building.
It wouldn't surprise me if they did this - but I have to ask - where are you seeing proof that this is indeed how they chose which units to make affordable?

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:22 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Oh, wow. The bottom three floors are shown on their website as being completely leased - which probably means they're actually the affordable units (which, do to overwhelming demand, they held a lottery to see who could rent them).

If that's correct, it's one hell of a scumbag maneuver. They created rich floors and poor floors, and they intentionally created a design that took windows away from the poor floors.

I wonder if they have a special elevator just for the poor floors, in order to keep the poor people out of view of the rich people. Hell, I'm surprised the elevators aren't strictly for the rich floors.

The design of this building suddenly feels even colder, which is quite an accomplishment being that it already looks so very cold.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
If that's correct, it's one hell of a scumbag maneuver. They created rich floors and poor floors, and they intentionally created a design that took windows away from the poor floors.

I wonder if they have a special elevator just for the poor floors, in order to keep the poor people out of view of the rich people. Hell, I'm surprised the elevators aren't strictly for the rich floors.
I seem to recall from that famous get-together at Jimmy Maks that the architect Jeff Kovel made a remark about "capitalism" means pretty much this: the rich get views and more windows. I guess it's doubly ironic, then, that this building looks like it belongs in the old East Berlin. Of course, there's that Ayn Rand novel, too, where hero-architects stick it to the philistines in The Fountainhead , which probably inspired any number of nerds in high school to become architects.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Oh, wow. The bottom three floors are shown on their website as being completely leased - which probably means they're actually the affordable units (which, do to overwhelming demand, they held a lottery to see who could rent them).

The design of this building suddenly feels even colder, which is quite an accomplishment being that it already looks so very cold.
Portland's own version of the "poor door". Are we even sure they don't have their own lobby entrance down around the corner by the parking garage door?

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 10:50 PM

It was also built on an ancient Indian burial ground and the superstructure was designed in such a way as to channel negative vibes to the Dark Lord via a secret basement portal!

Last edited by Abide; May 7, 2016 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 1:12 AM

Here, again, are the prices for the affordable units:

If I were able to get a unit on the 6th floor for $734, that would cost me $1618 if I were leasing it on the 9th floor, I'd be pretty fucking happy. Bear in mind that the finished floor of the lowest residential level is over 20' above the Burnside Bridge. It's not like people are being stuck in a basement.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Here, again, are the prices for the affordable units:

If I were able to get a unit on the 6th floor for $734, that would cost me $1618 if I were leasing it on the 9th floor, I'd be pretty fucking happy. Bear in mind that the finished floor of the lowest residential level is over 20' above the Burnside Bridge. It's not like people are being stuck in a basement.
What bothers me about clustering the "affordable" housing on a couple lower levels, without also including market rate apartments on those floors, is that everyone else in the building then knows you're "one of them". Every time an elevator is shared there's shame that since they live on those levels, they also only make a fraction of an annual salary than that of their well off neighbors higher up in the building do. They get less windows and I haven't been able to find out if they get to use all the building amenities. It's just all kinda weird to me.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 3:27 AM

Are you also bothered by Riverplace Parcel 3, where the affordable housing will be located in one building and the market rate housing in other building? Or by the Cosmopolitan (ultra luxury condo), which is located directly across the street from the Sitka (affordable housing)?

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 4:34 AM

I haven't looked deep enough into the Riverplace proposal to be able to offer an informed comment. Yet...

I'm incredibly supportive of mixed income neighborhoods that include a healthy amount of "affordable" housing. My issue is specifically about this building. Neighbors in a secured building, sharing an elevator multiple times a week, is a lot more intimate than neighbors that pass each other at the local grocer or coffee shop once in awhile.

I think Yard could better reflect the Portland spirit by being more equitable in placing "affordable" homes throughout the building.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 7:39 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Are you also bothered by Riverplace Parcel 3, where the affordable housing will be located in one building and the market rate housing in other building? Or by the Cosmopolitan (ultra luxury condo), which is located directly across the street from the Sitka (affordable housing)?
That analogy is false.

Imagine if the Pearl had been split along NW Raleigh, where everything south was luxury and everything to the north was affordable, thus creating rich and poor districts along a clearly established line. THAT'S WHAT THE YARD HAS DONE. Rich floors and poor floors. Everything below a certain floor is for the poor people. Everything above is for the rich. And that's without even considering the fact that, by design, the poor people get less windows for the exact same floorplan. Windows. We're not talking about things like giving the luxury units more high end finishes. We're talking about something as basic as windows.

The closer to completion this building gets, the more I think the people at Skylab should be embarrassed by it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland