HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Does the Moda Center really need to be replaced? Just because it is now one of the oldest NBA arenas doesn't mean it needs to be torn down and rebuilt.
I know the article goes on to blather about new stadium costs, but I am thinking Knight and Co. would be more interested in a rehab like the Footprint Center in Phoenix as opposed to leveling and starting anew. The Footprint is also older than Moda. Arenas are getting smaller, not bigger, and the Moda has already had capacity reduced twice, I believe. But a new scoreboard and upgraded concourses and finally building the surrounding neighborhood out would be so amazing.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 7:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I know the article goes on to blather about new stadium costs, but I am thinking Knight and Co. would be more interested in a rehab like the Footprint Center in Phoenix as opposed to leveling and starting anew. The Footprint is also older than Moda. Arenas are getting smaller, not bigger, and the Moda has already had capacity reduced twice, I believe. But a new scoreboard and upgraded concourses and finally building the surrounding neighborhood out would be so amazing.
That is what I would hope happened, a good renovation and upgrades would be much better than a complete rebuild. I think, even at its age, the Moda Center is still a good arena.

Personally I am not in the Knight camp buying the team. I just don't see that happening since it doesn't look like Jody has any interest in selling, nor should she if she is enjoying running a team.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 7:39 PM

I love the Moda Center. The roof design makes the arena stand out against most bland roof lines in the league including Chase Center which has the ho hum flat top. The Bowl is fantastic. Great for noise. I could see upgrading the scoreboard to what is being done in other arenas. But the Moda center is still a fantastic place. Maybe they could open up the concourses ,upper and lower , more with exterior glass. But as a sports architecture lover, Moda Center has stood the test of time as far as arena design goes.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
That is what I would hope happened, a good renovation and upgrades would be much better than a complete rebuild. I think, even at its age, the Moda Center is still a good arena.

Personally I am not in the Knight camp buying the team. I just don't see that happening since it doesn't look like Jody has any interest in selling, nor should she if she is enjoying running a team.
Totally agree.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:25 AM

Quote:
I have not been privy to the will Paul Allen left behind, and Jody hasn't provided clarification, so my opinion is based solely on what has been publicly stated and my own personal speculation.

Paul intended for the vast majority of his wealth (perhaps all) to be donated to charity. Jody was named executer and trustee upon Paul's death. This does not give her ownership and flexibility to manage the sports teams. Many team owners need to deficit spend to field a successful team, and there's not been the indication that Jody has the ability to tap into other assets held in the Trust to win Portland a championship. If the goal as an owner of a sports team is to maximize profit, they generally won't be able to field a championship team. As a restricted owner for the next 10 or 20 years, that could lead to a mediocre at best team being fielded during that ownership period.

We have a known interested local buyer who despite faults, has a deep connection to his home state. He also has money to not only field a championship team, but provide long needed updates to both the Moda Center and the neighborhood, including bringing in a WNBA team. He also has a succession plan with bringing in Alan Smolinisky as a co-owner.

This is about as best as it can get for a small market pro team. The team and the city will be better off the sooner Paul's fortune can be put to his personally identified useful passions like cancer research, conservation and climate change reduction programs; and we can transition to an active and local ownership group that is focused on winning a championship and revitalizing the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 7:51 PM

Quote:
I have not been privy to the will Paul Allen left behind, and Jody hasn't provided clarification, so my opinion is based solely on what has been publicly stated and my own personal speculation.

Paul intended for the vast majority of his wealth (perhaps all) to be donated to charity. Jody was named executer and trustee upon Paul's death. This does not give her ownership and flexibility to manage the sports teams. Many team owners need to deficit spend to field a successful team, and there's not been the indication that Jody has the ability to tap into other assets held in the Trust to win Portland a championship. If the goal as an owner of a sports team is to maximize profit, they generally won't be able to field a championship team. As a restricted owner for the next 10 or 20 years, that could lead to a mediocre at best team being fielded during that ownership period.

We have a known interested local buyer who despite faults, has a deep connection to his home state. He also has money to not only field a championship team, but provide long needed updates to both the Moda Center and the neighborhood, including bringing in a WNBA team. He also has a succession plan with bringing in Alan Smolinisky as a co-owner.

This is about as best as it can get for a small market pro team. The team and the city will be better off the sooner Paul's fortune can be put to his personally identified useful passions like cancer research, conservation and climate change reduction programs; and we can transition to an active and local ownership group that is focused on winning a championship and revitalizing the neighborhood.
+1. The sooner this can happen, the better.

Last edited by winstonLT5; Jul 18, 2022 at 7:52 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 10:05 PM
A before E

Quote:

I don't think Jody Allen is a "restricted owner," I think she is the owner of the team. From the looks of it, she seems to be able to do anything she wants with the team as they continue to compete and make moves.

At this point, people just need to accept that Jody is now the owner of the team and will continue to be until the day she dies or decides to sell the team.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think Jody Allen is a "restricted owner," I think she is the owner of the team. From the looks of it, she seems to be able to do anything she wants with the team as they continue to compete and make moves.

At this point, people just need to accept that Jody is now the owner of the team and will continue to be until the day she dies or decides to sell the team.
She's a restricted owner. It would be horrific optics if she pulled resources from children's cancer research to snag a star NBA player. As I also mentioned before, there's no indication that she'd even be legally able to do that. Remember, additional resources directed to the Blazers are resources that aren't being put towards the charities Paul Allen had set up. The team will be better off if we resolved the ownership questions so we can focus on building a championship team.

This article from last month also raises red flags (with some caution because Lillard disputes the account on his behalf): https://nypost.com/2022/07/07/inside...-to-sell-team/

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Jul 20, 2022 at 4:55 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:39 AM
A before E

Quote:
She's a restricted owner. It would be horrific optics if she pulled resources from children's cancer research to snag a star NBA player. As I also mentioned before, there's no indication that she'd even be legally able to do that. Remember, additional resources directed to the Blazers are resources that aren't being put towards the charities Paul Allen had set up. The team will be better off if we resolved the ownership questions so we can focus on building a championship team.

This article from last month also raises red flags (with some caution because Lillard disputes the account on his behalf): https://nypost.com/2022/07/07/inside...-to-sell-team/
I wouldn't read too much into that hit piece from the NYPost, it is basically the Fox News of newspapers and tends to print false information. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if Knight is paying for these articles to be written to try and force Jody to sell him the team.

As for Jody being a restricted owner, I don't think she is "restricted," I think she is the owner. As for Paul's assets, it will probably take 10-20 years to give out much of it to various organizations and charities. All of which, I don't think there is any requirement for Jody to sell either of the teams unless she doesn't want to own them.

based on the moves the team has made this off season, I think they are trying to build a championship team. If they weren't, they would have traded Dame for draft picks so that the next owner could build their own team. We will probably see bigger moves next off season based on how this team does this year, but I have a feeling the Blazers are gonna go deep in the playoffs in this next season thanks to all the improvements they have made with defense. Though it will be interesting to see how the bench plays out because that could be the different between winning or blowing a game.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:50 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't read too much into that hit piece from the NYPost, it is basically the Fox News of newspapers and tends to print false information. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if Knight is paying for these articles to be written to try and force Jody to sell him the team.

As for Jody being a restricted owner, I don't think she is "restricted," I think she is the owner. As for Paul's assets, it will probably take 10-20 years to give out much of it to various organizations and charities. All of which, I don't think there is any requirement for Jody to sell either of the teams unless she doesn't want to own them.

based on the moves the team has made this off season, I think they are trying to build a championship team. If they weren't, they would have traded Dame for draft picks so that the next owner could build their own team. We will probably see bigger moves next off season based on how this team does this year, but I have a feeling the Blazers are gonna go deep in the playoffs in this next season thanks to all the improvements they have made with defense. Though it will be interesting to see how the bench plays out because that could be the different between winning or blowing a game.
I think this is one of those agree to disagree situations, and I 100% respect your passion. Honestly, the only thing the two of us can actually do is watch this play out anyway.

If you're available it would be awesome to catch a game together next season! Maybe even an open SSP night, LOL. Regardless of the outcome the end game is the same, it's time to bring a new Championship to Portland!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment