HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 7:04 PM

(Btw that one would be an umlaut.) I did think of that - but like many others' here, posts by Mr Downtown seem typed on a full keyboard. I could be wrong about that. But I would picture him at his desk surrounded by an orderly army of maps, case binders, planning books, and profuse thank you notes from Geoffrey Baer.

Last edited by denizen467; Sep 25, 2016 at 8:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 3:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

Goodneß graçious!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 4:38 PM
THAT Guy

174 N Michigan

While I'm happy to see something going on with this grungy building, I would have preferred something a little more grand:

This looks like a good teardown candidate some day.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 5:03 PM

Is anyone else having trouble not being able to view the most recent building permits? I've tried every browser on a couple different computers and the page loads, but the section (in the middle of the page) that shows the building permits doesn't load.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 5:23 PM

Had a close up view of the Children's Demo while driving by on Lincoln the other night, and wow, what an awesome sight to see. Wasn't able to snap a pic though (iphone memory was full; most infuriating occurrence with the iPhone).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Had a close up view of the Children's Demo while driving by on Lincoln the other night, and wow, what an awesome sight to see. Wasn't able to snap a pic though (iphone memory was full; most infuriating occurrence with the iPhone).
Agreed. Can't wait for my 7 plus to get here

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
Is anyone else having trouble not being able to view the most recent building permits? I've tried every browser on a couple different computers and the page loads, but the section (in the middle of the page) that shows the building permits doesn't load.
That's why I view in JSON format. Doesn't have the overhead of their UI

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That's why I view in JSON format. Doesn't have the overhead of their UI
What does that mean? How do I get to view it in JSON format? (I am not a tech savvy person)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
What does that mean? How do I get to view it in JSON format? (I am not a tech savvy person)
For example:
https://data.cityofchicago.org/resource/ydr8-5enu.json?_permit_type=PERMIT%20-%20NEW%20CONSTRUCTION&$order=_issue_date%20desc&$where=(_issue_date%20IS%20NOT%20NULL)%20AND%20(_issue_date%20%3E%20%272013-01-01%27)&$select=id,street_name,street_direction,_estimated_cost,location.longitude,location.latitude,work_description,_issue_date,street_number&$offset=0

The fields you want to view are embedded into the URL. This is what I use instead of the UI. It's helpful if you just want to view the newest stuff. The above is just for New Construction.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 9:39 PM

A surface parking lot on North Larrabee at the corner of Kingsbury (Cabrini area adjacent to River North neighborhood) is seeing activity. Does anyone know what is planned there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Yes, highly recommended with the main tower going now.
Interestingly, with much of the hospital removed, the parking structure across Lincoln becomes more pronounced. According to the Hines / McCaffery site, the garage will be dressed up a bit and ground floor retail added.
http://mi-cmh.com/
http://www.mccafferyinterests.com/po...-redevelopment

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 9:43 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

Looking over the mystery site at 880 N Clark
That would be 111 W Chestnut, Harry, the nice limestone 4-flat condo building. Mechanicals are in redesign due to a buyers request, but this should break ground within a couple months.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 11:32 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
A surface parking lot on North Larrabee at the corner of Kingsbury (Cabrini area adjacent to River North neighborhood) is seeing activity. Does anyone know what is planned there?
There was a failed condo proposal, now they're looking to do rentals with retail.

Baum Realty

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post

Yes, highly recommended with the main tower going now.
Interestingly, with much of the hospital removed, the parking structure across Lincoln becomes more pronounced. According to the Hines / McCaffery site, the garage will be dressed up a bit and ground floor retail added.
http://mi-cmh.com/
http://www.mccafferyinterests.com/po...-redevelopment
Kind of nice how also more pronounced the historic buildings have become. This is one of my favorite projects because it saves some interesting vintage buildings while increasing density with new towers where the cruddy tower buildings were.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
While I'm happy to see something going on with this grungy building, I would have preferred something a little more grand:

This looks like a good teardown candidate some day.
Facade reclad looks way better. I don't mind that it stays a lowrise. Provides some variety on Michigan ave. The double height storefront will really brighten up the street.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 1:13 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There was a failed condo proposal, now they're looking to do rentals with retail.

Baum Realty
This is way better than what was proposed before. Also, this area needs more ground level retail

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 2:20 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This is way better than what was proposed before. Also, this area needs more ground level retail
Should be twice as tall there, though.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:07 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
Best use of an umlaut in an English sentence.
That's a diaeresis. Technically it's a teensy tiny bit different from a true umlaut, but they have very different purposes:

- Umlauts change vowel quality. In German, the major umlauts are ä ö ü for [ä œ y] IIRC. That is, they mutate these vowels into these different vowels.

- The diaeresis separates vowels that would otherwise be interpreted as a diphthong. This use comes characteristically from French, where, for example, "cooperation" is spelled la coöperation [lə koopə'ʁasjɔ̃] (with two O sounds).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Deutsche keyboard? All you need is a möbil phone...
Ör jüst knöw whïch shörtcüts mäkë hëävy mëtäl ümläüts häppën...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Sep 26, 2016 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 2:20 PM

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there any historic significance to the Ohio House Motel? Seems like a prime spot for a future residential highrise. I'm just being curious after looking at Harry's photos. Seeing Hojo go and the boom in that area I figured someone would name the right price.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there any historic significance to the Ohio House Motel? Seems like a prime spot for a future residential highrise. I'm just being curious after looking at Harry's photos. Seeing Hojo go and the boom in that area I figured someone would name the right price.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's on the national register of historic places but not landmarked by the city of Chicago. So I think it's fair game.

Personally I find the OH kind of charming, though the property definitely lends itself to a higher and better use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development