HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 9:08 PM

I like how the first LA live pic just barely misses the Chevron station, car wash and surface lot just across the street.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 9:15 PM
cities|transit|croissants

DC has 7th Street in Chinatown / Gallery Place. It has only really started to get the neon character in recent years, and is still finding its niche.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 9:31 PM

Miami Beach loves their neon, but the advertising isn't on the scale of or as concentrated as the majors.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 10:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I like how the first LA live pic just barely misses the Chevron station, car wash and surface lot just across the street.
Doesn't New York have gas stations, car washes, or parking lots ?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Indeed it does, as do all cities, but I am talking about the first pic, and the LA stereotype of autotopia contrasting with the new development.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 10:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

Broadway, Downtown Los Angeles, 1950's

link

Market Street, San Francisco, 1960's

link

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 11:20 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:36 AM
BANNED

Weinstein's, Desmonds, Silverwoods: when people used to dress like they were adults. SF is dead set against lighting up Market, but Broadway in LA should be back soon. Hopefully with neon galore.

Hollywood between La Brea and Highland and around Vine is another show that will be getting better.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Not in the middle of the major entertainment district it doesn't.

On side streets out of the way, sure.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That piece of shit needs to go.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Not many of them in Manhattan... and trying to get in and out of a gas station on a Friday afternoon in the summer is a unique type of hell.

But I digress...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:28 AM
恭喜发财!

Aside from the previously posted Nanjing Road, Shanghai also has another high neon concentration in the Xujiahui shopping area.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:36 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Here's a little video I shot last year of Dundas Square in Toronto.
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:00 AM
THAT Guy

Brigade Road - Bengaluru

Reuters/ Daily Mail

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 6:57 AM
Not my real name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Not many of them in Manhattan... and trying to get in and out of a gas station on a Friday afternoon in the summer is a unique type of hell.

But I digress...
I hope that sort of masochism isn't a seasonal habit of yours. My first and last attempt at getting gas in Manhattan was at the BP off Houston and Lafayette. I quickly learned that it was easier to take a bridge and come back than persist through that delta of taxis and tourists. I guess the stations in west midtown aren't as bad, but I've learned to plan ahead before I return to the city.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

Posted on Greater Greater Washington blog:

Should Chinatown be Times Square?
by Dan M. • March 10, 2010 4:12 pm

New York's Times Square is the tourist heart of that city. It is filled with bright lights, chain restaurants, and professional entertainment that draws visitors from all over the world.

Neon signs at Gallery Place. Photo by M.V. Jantzen.230 miles south of Times Square is Gallery Place. Since the MCI Center opened in 1997, it has been (after the National Mall) the tourist heart of Washington, DC. It is filled with bright lights, chain restaurants, and professional entertainment.
Gallery Place/Chinatown is smaller and quieter than Times Square. DC is a smaller city. The entertainment also centers around sports rather theater. But on the whole, the two districts are of a kind. They are both the heart of commercialized tourism in their respective cities. They are where suburbanites go to experience life "downtown".

And if it's true that the hyper-commercialization of such districts can be garish, it's also true that such garishness is unique, interesting and something that a lot of people simply like. It's not just that places like Times Square and Gallery Place are busy with excitement and color because people flock to them. People flock to these places precisely because they are busy with excitement and color, and not very many places are like that.

So when I hear there is a proposal to add even more video billboards to Gallery Place, I think that's awesome. The more the merrier. The main reason I ever go to Chinatown in the first place is that it isn't Georgetown or Capitol Hill. I want Chinatown to be as colorful and bright and fun as possible.

Naturally, someone disagrees. The launch of StopTheBillboard.org has been widely reported this week in the blogosphere. The first paragraph of their home page reads:

"Giant color video signs are not what anyone has in mind when they think of Washington, D.C. But unless we stop them, these huge, moving-picture billboards will make cherished parts of our beautiful city look more like Times Square... If we allow these signs to be installed permanently at the corner of 7th and G Street NW, not only would an important downtown neighborhood become blighted, but it would be just a matter of time before video billboards would pop up all over the capital."
I appreciate the desire for quiet in one's home neighborhood, but what planet is the author of that paragraph from? Actually, giant color video signs are exactly what I have in mind when I think of Chinatown, which is a cherished and important downtown neighborhood in our beautiful city precisely because of the unique role it fills as a place for brightness, color, and electronic 21st Century fun.
I don't want the entire city to look like Times Square, but I don't want the entire city to look like the street from Leave it to Beaver either. I want to live in a city that has stately, beautifully dignified places like Dupont Circle and 16th Street, and places like Times Square. When I think of Washington, DC, I don't think it should be a city with any one character imposed throughout.

The bright lights part of Chinatown is a mere three blocks long. That's three blocks in our entire gargantuan metropolitan area where we've collectively decided to have some fun with colorful nightlife. As much as I love marble and granite (and I do), I think it is entirely justified to take three tiny little blocks in one corner of the city and give those blocks a neon character.

On the other hand, just as I don't think it's reasonable to move next to an airport and then complain about noise from airplanes, I don't think it's reasonable to move to Chinatown and complain about bright lights. If we don't put them in Chinatown, where they are completely appropriate given the existing context, where do we put them? Nowhere? How is that the less draconian option?

What do you think?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:15 PM

^
I wrote that.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:44 PM

I agree with Dan M. I look at it from an entertainment district aspect as a whole rather than simply neon, but they are definitely a piece of the puzzle for Chinatown since there's already some lights there with the Verizon Center and Gallery Place.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:54 PM

Well neon signs are a little different from billboards and supergraphics (spectaculars).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Not in the middle of the major entertainment district it doesn't.

On side streets out of the way, sure.
Well, in LA's case, the gas station pre-dates the entertainment district. Its only become such a district in the last decade.

As for signage, I have mixed opinions about it. LA has TONS of supergraphics. They are all over and absolutely monolithic in some cases. I despise those. On the other hand, there are now buildings in so-called "signage districts" that are built now with signage in mind, like a portion of the facade is left blank and a billboard holder and lights are installed where advertisements will go. I dont like this dumbing down of architecture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions