HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 11:24 PM

The new columns are for 103 mezzanine.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Otie has a great diagram showing the top floors and the latest columns and why they are not the outer columns over on SSC. It would be cool to get that posted here.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:03 AM

Ok, the columns that went up today are non-structural and will support the louvered walls that span from the 103rd floor slab to just below the parapet, these walls serve for ventilation and will create an air plenum between these walls and the exterior facade.

Here louvered walls are in blue:

In case anyone didn't notice, this plenum will be exactly the same as the ones located between floors 91-93M and 3-6M.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:35 AM
JACKinBeantown

Welcome castellammare and thanks for the nice photos. Thanks also for saving people's lives.

Carlos, you're really making a name for yourself here, buddy!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 1:13 AM

Does anyone think that it is rather odd and potentially problematic that there is going to be a hydrogen fuel cell plant located within 1 WTC's base? Hydrogen is an extremely flammable substance and is not easy to control. What if an explosion were to occur? Good move? Bad move?

Also, Otie, do you know what color that the new spire/antenna will be? I hope to God it's not the rust color that it was in the rendering Durst released...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 1:25 AM

This tower costs billions of dollars to ensure things like that will not happen.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
This tower costs billions of dollars to ensure things like that will not happen.
I only got two words - shit happens.

If they were going to put fuel cells somewhere in the building, I would think that the base would be the last place you'd want to put them. I could be mistaken, but I would think that an explosion in the base could cause massive damage to not only the base, but to the entire structure. I don't want to go so far as to say that such an explosion would compromise the building as a whole, but to me, that's just assonine. Why would you tamper with things that dangerous at the base of the most expensive building ever constructed?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 1:46 AM

So If these aren't structual columns, then 1 wtc is still on floor 103.
And we are below 400 meters?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
I only got two words - shit happens.

If they were going to put fuel cells somewhere in the building, I would think that the base would be the last place you'd want to put them. I could be mistaken, but I would think that an explosion in the base could cause massive damage to not only the base, but to the entire structure. I don't want to go so far as to say that such an explosion would compromise the building as a whole, but to me, that's just assonine. Why would you tamper with things that dangerous at the base of the most expensive building ever constructed?
How about "Shit Happened"?

It's not going to happen again!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
So If these aren't structual columns, then 1 wtc is still on floor 103.
And we are below 400 meters?
We were at 1,297' to the splices then these columns went up. Even though these columns are not structual they still extend up a floor.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post

I certainly hope not...But I'm not talking about a terrorist attack. I'm talking about the worst case scenario. In the documentary, The Rising, the chief securities engineer for 1 WTC said that the base is designed to resist car bombs from West St. yada yada yada. It sounds kind of counter-intuitive to pack a 200ft x 200ft safety feature with tons of explosive material...That's just what I think...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
I certainly hope not...But I'm not talking about a terrorist attack. I'm talking about the worst case scenario. In the documentary, The Rising, the chief securities engineer for 1 WTC said that the base is designed to resist car bombs from West St. yada yada yada. It sounds kind of counter-intuitive to pack a 200ft x 200ft safety feature with tons of explosive material...That's just what I think...
Who told you that? That is a total lie. One World Trade Center is completely powered, heated, and cooled by steam, and steam is made by something like coal, or another fuel source burning. Obliviously hydrogen will not be used. The original World Trade Center if I am correct was powered by oil. They didn't use natural gas because of flammability.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post

I think he's asking a fair question. I understand the desire for more "green" architecture. I even understand it as a PR move. Nonetheless, for such a costly building (as well as a terrorist target) to have massive hydrogen fuel cells (as claimed)... well, it raises an eyebrow; so his concern is legitimate IMO. Not saying they haven't got it covered, but I'd like to hear the engineers working on the project explain how they are protecting the cells from exposure or error.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Durst didn't ruin the the design.
Most of the changes they did, with the exception of the spire was for the better of the building.
I was only talking about the spire, which completely affects the rest of the tower. I agree that the tower is beautiful, just not the antenna that will make the beauty of this building harder to see.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:33 AM

There is indeed a fuel cell co-generation plant inside this tower, it is located on the mechanical space above the lobby and will generate 1.2MW using natural gas.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 9:22 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

hello everyone --

winding down, but its time once again for the monthly first of the month progress check:

what floor are we on as of today?

is it 103? between 103-4?

as always, thanks if you know or would like to guess!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 9:49 AM

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1
Who told you that? That is a total lie. One World Trade Center is completely powered, heated, and cooled by steam, and steam is made by something like coal, or another fuel source burning. Obliviously hydrogen will not be used. The original World Trade Center if I am correct was powered by oil. They didn't use natural gas because of flammability.

What are you talking about? The original WTC had electric drive chillers, 7 - 7000 ton + 2 - 2500 ton + 5 2000 ton units added after 1993. The power came from Con Ed grid and it could have been generated by oil, gas, nuclear or hydro. The end user doesn't know. It used steam for heating in winter and the only oil was for emergency generators.

The new tower has electric driven DX cooling units on each tenant floor, steam for heating, and natural gas for fuel cell and tenant cafeteria's

alan

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:35 PM

Hi everybody, and thanks for the great welcome yesterday. Here's a photo of the WTC that I just took (not too much of a change from yesterday though):

While I was going through some old photos, I found this one I took of the WTC sometime last year:

Have a good day everyone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive