HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 8:27 PM

You're absolutely right. The rotating beacon on the Eiffel Tower is far more powerful than this one, you can see it from miles away. I was downtown yesterday and although I could see it, it clearly not that powerful so i can only imagine how it looks from a distance; actually judging from videos that have been posted so far, it's not that visible from afar. Basically it's a cheap version of the Eiffel tower's beacon. When will the disapointment end with this tower?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
You're absolutely right. The rotating beacon on the Eiffel Tower is far more powerful than this one, you can see it from miles away.
-
Truths. Eiffel's is like a giant lightsaber slicing through the sky.

One let down after another.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 10:20 PM
weidncol

Who thinks they will light it tonight?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 10:31 PM

The beacon on the Eiffel tower is listed as xenon 6000 watt lamps.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 11:14 PM

The beacon reminds me of the Williams Tower beacon in Houston, TX:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Except Willis' antennae have been replaced and upgraded while 1WTC's mast is a permanent structure.

1WTC will never add anything substantial to the mast that effects the height nor will it add anything above the beacon at the top. Willis on the other hand can attach and replace antennae at will. See this article about them '1-uping' the Petronas and Twin Towers.
Pretty cool article. I will post some part of it for you (the article is from february 16th 2000, when the old WTC still stood and Sears Tower recently lost its long held title as the world's tallest building)
Sears Tower To Stand Tallest In Antenna Race
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ldings-tallest

Quote:
It's a game of inches up there in the skyscraper heavens.

Sears Tower, which lost its world's tallest building crown in 1996 to twin towers in Malaysia by a scant 33 feet, is adding 22 feet to one of its twin broadcast antennas for digital TV.
That will do more than alter the most prominent set of rabbit ears on the Chicago skyline.
It will give Sears the arcane distinction of having the tallest broadcast antenna atop a building--1,729 feet, precisely 12 inches higher than New York's World Trade Center.

And it will heighten the competition for lucrative lease deals with local television stations.

That's what I say too, for the CTBUH not counting antennas has more to do with the mutable nature of them than the fact that it contains communication equipment. The antennas of of Sears or other buildings used purely as antennas are much more susceptible of change than spires, as the former can change as necessities change, the spires being basically useless architectonic features are not likely to change.
The spirettena of 1WTC, although will hold communication equipment is a fixed structure in terms of height whether you like it or not, whether it has a radome or not, whether it has communication equipment or not, it will stand on those symbolic 1776 ft. that's why I think the CTBUH, according to its rules will determine it as a spire, what they care is not if it contains communications equipment but if it is a fixed element in terms of height, and in this case it does.

http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/H...S/Default.aspx

Quote:
1. Height to Architectural Top
Height is measured from the level1 of the lowest, significant,2 open-air,3 pedestrian4 entrance to the architectural top of the building, including spires, but not including antennae, signage, flag poles or other functional-technical equipment.5 This measurement is the most widely utilized and is employed to define the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat rankings of the "World's Tallest Buildings."
Quote:
5 Functional-technical equipment: this is intended to recognize that functional-technical equipment is subject to removal/addition/change as per prevalent technologies, as is often seen in tall buildings (e.g., antennae, signage, wind turbines, etc. are periodically added, shortened, lengthened, removed and/or replaced).

Last edited by CCs77; Nov 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfastx View Post
The beacon reminds me of the Williams Tower beacon in Houston, TX:

Thats true. I wonder other then these three how many other places have rotating lights like these?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 12:15 AM

I give up. How is 1729 feet 12 inches higher than 1787 feet?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 1:11 AM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
It's an old article talking about some change in antenna height in the year 2000. The original 1 WTC height was like 1,727 with antenna. What the article was referring to, not the current building.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 3:25 AM

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 4:55 AM

^Yeauhhhh!!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:50 AM

I did a little research on the beacons. The Williams Tower in Houston has a 7000 watt beacon 900' up, seen to 40 miles. The Eiffel Towers are listed as 2-6000 watts 950' up. Seen to 80 kilometers. The 1WTC is listed as 288-50 watt lights 1760' up, seen to 50 miles.

Last edited by sw5710; Nov 10, 2013 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 1:57 PM

The beacon looks REALLY obnoxious. The skyline is not about the 1WTC, but the skyline taken collectively. One building outshining the rest is a over-the-top. It looks like they stuck a huge light bulb on top of the antenna. Not only did they now destroy the spire but the lighting for the antenna. This is becoming a circus!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 3:27 PM

Oh shut your complaining, if it was a tiny light bulb you would still be bitching now its too powerful please...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 4:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post

©tectonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
You're absolutely right. The rotating beacon on the Eiffel Tower is far more powerful than this one, you can see it from miles away.
Maybe it's because it's still on the testing phase, they have to get it just right, who knows. There is a video animation of what the beacon is supposed to do (where I took that still from), I have to find it.

Similar thoughts to what I said earlier...

http://gothamist.com/2013/11/09/phot...co.php#photo-1

Quote:
The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitats is debating whether to allow the spire to count as part of the building. Earlier this year, Kevin Brass, the public affairs manager the group, told the Guardian, "Our criteria are very specific. We include spires and not antennas. If this is an antenna, it won't be part of the height measurement. The cladding was an integral part of the design and made the extension part of the permanent look and feel of the building."

Obviously the timing of this test (which is not the first—it was tested a few weeks ago, too) seems to be deliberate. The Port Authority explained, "The beacon, which is the top section of spire, contains 288 50-watt LED modules that produce 288,000 lumens of light that will enable the spire to be visible up to 50 miles on a clear night." In other words—can any ol' antenna do THAT?

http://www.komonews.com/news/nationa...231151031.html

Similarities?

http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-...t-2456144.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 4:51 PM

So the beacon just lights up but doesn't rotate like the Eiffel tower for example?

Damn, we're so boring.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:00 PM

It actually was rotating. I was close by and I could clearly see it but it just didn't look powerful enough to be seen from a distance. I too hope it's still a test cause that'll be some let down.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:09 PM

It rotates and saying it isn't bright is false when the beacon rotates right at you it's blinding.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:15 PM

There's nothing "false" about my statement, I clearly stated that "it didn't look strong enough to be seen from a distance" as I was close by, so it's merely an opinion cause I don't know what I looks like from a further distance; all you guys who could see it from afar feel free to chime in.

Last edited by Blaze23; Nov 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:50 PM

The CTBUH recognizes height in three categories

1. Height to Architectural top
2. Highest occupied Floor.
3. Height to tip.

#3 includes lightning rods.It is the same as you find on Aviation charts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive