HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:03 PM

That pic from last year - awwwww! 1 WTC was so little then...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:35 PM
Bionic Boogie

from 7:28 am june 1, 2012, taken by Anthony who works at the site.

photo (17) copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

Carlos' Cam

DSC_0090 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_0091 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Last edited by CarlosV; Jun 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:42 PM
Fake News

I'm attempting to stay positive and believe that cooler heads will prevail and that Childs finds a suitable replacement for the radome, but I'm not sure. This building seems to be one big compromise.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 7:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwYC6...ature=youtu.be

Have a great weekend everybody!!!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 7:53 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/const...wer_26204.aspx

Quote:
*The following information was last updated on June 1, 2012.

Tower steel is now above floor 103. It is expected to top out at 1368 feet) in late spring/early summer 2012.
Facade installation is now above floor 75
Concrete is now being installed above floor 93
Installation of the 408-foot-tall telecommunications spire in summer 2012 (bringing total tower height to 1776 feet)
Spray-on fireproofing underway
Elevator shaft fit-out
Multiple cranes on site for steel and concrete installation
Both the south and north cores are now being erected as the structure rises
"Cocoon" safety system now in place around upper perimeter, to rise with structure
Utility installation and tie-ins
Crews are coordinating substructure construction while maintaining PATH service

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 7:53 PM

Great shots Carlos!
We are on floor 104 not 103M "Is that correct"
As for the spire/antenna. It is the CTBUH that will dictate the final height in the end. The same way they do on every building standing today. I am going to wait and see if some other outer cladding might be used since we are still quite a while before construction is ready for it to be mounted.

Last edited by sw5710; Jun 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:13 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...oHhzARmVUgbv4H

Obama to visit One World Trade Center construction

June 1, 2012

Quote:

President Obama will visit the former site of the World Trade Center this month to view the progress of
One World Trade Center, the growing skyscraper that became the tallest building in New York City this spring.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest briefed reporters Friday about the visit, which is scheduled for Flag Day, June 14,
according to FOX News Channel. Earnest told reporters Obama's visit will be a preview of the skyscraper's
"topping-out ceremony," a traditional event held to commemorate the completion of a building's structure.

Patrick Rasenberg

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:18 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Well, look at that. Maybe Obama will get news of the greedy move done by Durst and the PA to 1 WTC's spire and make sure the rest of the nation knows that the "rebirth" project is being exploited by dumb developers. Just something I would like happen.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:34 PM
don't *meddle*...

Skyline Manhattan von Patrick Rasenberg auf Flickr

WTC von Patrick Rasenberg auf Flickr

WTC 1 von Patrick Rasenberg auf Flickr

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 10:18 PM

I sent numerous emails out a few weeks ago about the spire. I received one back from Jordan Barowitz of the Durst Organization. The reason for removing the radome was because it is logistically impossible to maintain it that far in the sky. Free climbers would have to scale the spire and attach the cables to a ring at the top. Then they would have to hoist a 40’ x 10’, 2000lbs piece of fiberglass up to the top and install it. Both of these violate New York City Department of Buildings hoisting regulations and is also a threat to public safety. They discussed this back in January. The architects had time to come up with a redesign but chose not to. So no one should be angry at Durst for this. They gave them the chance to come up with a redesign. After the new renderings came out I think it really wont be that bad. All of the buildings are very beautiful. This will be a very beautiful complex when it's done.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:09 PM

How are the spires on all of the other buildings in Manhattan maintained?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:12 PM

While it was nice of him to reply, I call BS on the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesfaninUT View Post
I sent numerous emails out a few weeks ago about the spire. I received one back from Jordan Barowitz of the Durst Organization. The reason for removing the radome was because it is logistically impossible to maintain it that far in the sky. Free climbers would have to scale the spire and attach the cables to a ring at the top. Then they would have to hoist a 40’ x 10’, 2000lbs piece of fiberglass up to the top and install it. Both of these violate New York City Department of Buildings hoisting regulations and is also a threat to public safety. They discussed this back in January. The architects had time to come up with a redesign but chose not to. So no one should be angry at Durst for this. They gave them the chance to come up with a redesign. After the new renderings came out I think it really wont be that bad. All of the buildings are very beautiful. This will be a very beautiful complex when it's done.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:30 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesfaninUT View Post
They just now realized this? Now I can't trust anyone with 1 WTC. Silverstein should have just taken control of the whole site if this was going to be the type of bullcrap we were going to face.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:48 PM

Don't they just have to put the radome up once. Why would free climbers have to climb the spire on a regular basis to replace 40x10 ft. sections?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 1:11 AM
Brooklyn Baby!

Today: WTC Progress Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/wtcprogress

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
They just now realized this? Now I can't trust anyone with 1 WTC. Silverstein should have just taken control of the whole site if this was going to be the type of bullcrap we were going to face.
That's what I said! When I heard they changed the spire I was thinking so this building has been designed since 2006 and just now they are realizing that it can't be maintained! Since President Obama's coming if David Child's is smart he will be there and meet with the president and discuss the spire design change.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Well, look at that. Maybe Obama will get news of the greedy move done by Durst and the PA to 1 WTC's spire and make sure the rest of the nation knows that the "rebirth" project is being exploited by dumb developers. Just something I would like happen.
Has the WTC received federal funds? If so, does the president have the legal right to do anything more than make a personal request?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 2:11 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Has the WTC received federal funds? If so, does the president have the legal right to do anything more than make a personal request?
The PA, although it's more private in practice, is still a public agency between NY and NJ and it receives funds from tolls around the tri-state area. If Obama makes a speech that will bring more awareness of the spire fiasco in 1 WTC, there may be a good chance that Durst will rethink on their decision.

Last edited by jd3189; Jun 2, 2012 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 2:42 AM

Quote:
The PA, although it's more private in practice, is still a public agency between NY and NJ and it receives funds from tolls around the tri-state area. If Obama makes a speech that will bring more awareness of the spire fiasco in 1 WTC, there may be a good chance that Durst will rethink on their decision.
Eh, unless the Feds have some say in this, it would sound like an abuse of power. I think a personal call might be more effective anyway. Besides, the guy is running for reelection, the last thing he needs (and I'm not saying this as a supporter) is to make a speech about this just to have the PA or Durst ignore him.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 2:48 AM

So are those tiny winy columns part of the structure?
When will the real perimeter steel be placed in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive