HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:10 PM

Yeah I'm not sure whether signing old, washed up NFL stars is a good idea for the league. I guess Andre Rison stuck around for a Grey Cup, but the ten game prediction is a good one.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:42 PM

The Free Press reports that the CFL announced only one team exceeded the salary cap in 2013: the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Perhaps the league should put an asterisk next to their entry on the list of Grey Cup champions as punishment for cheating their way to the title.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:05 PM
Hmm....

By $17,000... i.e. less than 0.4% over.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:07 PM

Only 17k. Money well spent I say.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Free Press reports that the CFL announced only one team exceeded the salary cap in 2013: the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Perhaps the league should put an asterisk next to their entry on the list of Grey Cup champions as punishment for cheating their way to the title.
Perhaps "Cheating arrogant twerps" would be appropriate?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...says-1.2444561

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 3:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ticats practice at Ron Joyce Stadium

Drew Edwards
https://twitter.com/scratchingpost/s...593408/photo/1

I believe the Ticats will also be playing a pre-season game at Ron Joyce Stadium.

Kinda funny Hamilton now has a Ron Joyce Stadium and Tim Hortons Fields.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 1:05 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Kinda funny Hamilton now has a Ron Joyce Stadium and Tim Hortons Fields.
Imagine if he/they would have purchased the naming rights to Copps Coliseum too.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:21 PM

How do you like the Ottawa RedBlacks' new uniforms?

Nothing too earth shattering here, basically trying to look as much like the Rough Riders as possible. It's solid if a little dull.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 11:16 PM

I'd rather have the contrasting colours over the solid colours. White jersey, black pants. Black jersey, white pants. Call me a traditionalist.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I'd rather have the contrasting colours over the solid colours. White jersey, black pants. Black jersey, white pants. Call me a traditionalist.
Agree.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:26 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^
^^
Me three, and ditch the white helmet.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:38 AM
Hmm....

I kind of like the storm trooper look the Riders used a couple times last year. Was kind of fun when it was against the BC in their all black/gunmetal black unis.

Not a fan of all green though (once in a while the Eskimos and Riders will do it), just looks like a pickle.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 5:03 PM

Uh oh

Quote:
The Canadian Football League’s Players Association is recommending its members proceed with a strike vote, according to a Sportsnet report.

The collective bargaining agreement between the CFL and its players expires May 30, on the eve of training camp. And while both sides are scheduled to meet later this week, Sportsnet reports that the union is preparing for a potential labour stoppage, believing that after four months of negotiating, the two sides are at an impasse.

“It is the position of your Negotiating Committee that the position of the CFL in relation to almost all matters and their refusal to have the cap in some way connected to revenue are unreasonable,” reads an internal memo written by CFLPA President Scott Flory to all CFL players last week and obtained by Sportsnet. “As a result, we are recommending that the Players proceed with a strike vote.”

The report indicates there are currently several points of contention between the league and the CFLPA. They reportedly disagree on issues surrounding revenue sharing; the amount of the minimum annual player’s salary and that of practice roster players; post-season playoff shares; Grey Cup bonus cheques; and the length of the next CBA.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 8:31 PM
Ham-burgher

I hope both sides are willing to give a little and come to a compromise. I completely understand the owners wanting to finally cash in on their investment, in every market... but the players have done their part to keep the league afloat too and deserve a reasonable payday for that. There must be a middle ground here that works for both.

On the cusp of greater success, it would be a damn shame if there was a strike or lockout. Hopefully each side can see how damaging that could be if it lasted very long.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I hope both sides are willing to give a little and come to a compromise. I completely understand the owners wanting to finally cash in on their investment, in every market... but the players have done their part to keep the league afloat too and deserve a reasonable payday for that. There must be a middle ground here that works for both.
I agree with you there. The players have a pretty reasonable case to make... the rookies and practice roster guys are clearly underpaid.

I'd hate for there to be a strike but I'd support the players if they decided to take that route. The only question is will the players actually do something so bold? When you consider how short a typical pro football career is, losing one year hurts, and unlike NFLers these guys don't (except maybe for a handful of marquee veterans) have a big stash of cash to ride out a labour disruption.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 8:53 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I'd hate for there to be a strike but I'd support the players if they decided to take that route. The only question is will the players actually do something so bold? When you consider how short a typical pro football career is, losing one year hurts, and unlike NFLers these guys don't (except maybe for a handful of marquee veterans) have a big stash of cash to ride out a labour disruption.
I think the owners are counting on that. And most CFL players are very replaceable - while some are all-stars or have that potential, and a few have realistic NFL aspirations, for so many this is a way to continue playing a sport they love and make some money doing it. That's going to affect a strike vote... how much I guess we may see.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
I agree with you there. The players have a pretty reasonable case to make... the rookies and practice roster guys are clearly underpaid.

I'm wondering if the players can ride out a strike. I know that in Regina, almost all players except rookies have jobs of some sort that supplement their income and in many cases are the groundwork for their post football careers. If there is a work stoppage they would just continue at their jobs. Their employers are very flexible with their work hrs.

But I do not want to see any work stoppage. The two sides have got to work this out. The CFL has some momentum going here, please don't f*** it up!

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 9:33 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
The CFL has some momentum going here, please don't f*** it up!
x2

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if the players can ride out a strike. I know that in Regina, almost all players except rookies have jobs of some sort that supplement their income and in many cases are the groundwork for their post football careers. If there is a work stoppage they would just continue at their jobs. Their employers are very flexible with their work hrs.

But I do not want to see any work stoppage. The two sides have got to work this out. The CFL has some momentum going here, please don't f*** it up!
Most of the vets are probably a bit more established in that regard... probably more so in a place like Regina where they have a fairly high profile, but the same general thing in each city across the league.

A strike would be hardest on the < 3 year players who don't make very much (even if it is just for 6 months work) and aren't really established enough in the community to have a career-path job, a business or what have you.

Unfortunately these are the players that the PA is most likely to want to throw under the bus... no one is really going to miss the rookie 23 year old DB from some town in Ohio who will just go back to work in the meat processing plant and forget about pro football for good.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 10:53 PM

The Riders' season ticket sales reach 26,700!!!! (Mosaic Stadium's regular capacity: 33,427.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada