HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 3:03 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
Scaffolding is going up along the Pennington Street side of the Roy Place Building, the former Walgreen's at Stone & Pennington. Are they finally going to renovate that side of the building?
There's a new permit out for that property called "CALT: Pennington Street Facade Restoration" that was issued 5/22/14.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 7:54 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
So...the Hub turned out to be one ugly building. It looks nothing like the renderings IMO...
Interestingly, recently a friend of mine posted a picture of the Hub on Facebook saying how ugly it was and it got lots of comments from people sharing the sentiment, i think from the NW angle it looks pretty bad. but from the E not so bad. But also there was someone commenting, who i assumed lives in a nearby neighborhood because they were giving lots of facts about all the new high rises in the Main Gate. What really caught my eye was that they said "Two new hotels planned in the University area, one 15 floors, the other 20." now this may just be false but the 15 floor is obviously a reference to the hotel on Tyndall, but i got wondering where the "20 floor" one might be located, it couldn't be in the Main Gate because none of the zoning allows for that high. So then i was reminded of talk about the corner of Speedway and Campbell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
I got a bit of a hint of good news starting at about the 20 min 55 sec of this video at AZ Illustrated . The hint coming from Steve K's mouth regarding a proposal of high end housing and retail mixed used at Campbell and Speedway - sounds like another 'high rise' (or hopefully more) in the making.
I looked into the properties on that corner and there is a rezoning, it leads back to developer Jim Portner of Projects International Inc (La Encantada, The Bridges, SuperTarget) heres a link: http://projectsintl.com/home.html.

anyway this might just be too much speculation but i think the supposed 20 floor hotel may be at speedway and campbell. but who knows, maybe ill ask the person on Facebook where they got the info about the 20 floor hotel.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
Interestingly, recently a friend of mine posted a picture of the Hub on Facebook saying how ugly it was and it got lots of comments from people sharing the sentiment, i think from the NW angle it looks pretty bad. but from the E not so bad. But also there was someone commenting, who i assumed lives in a nearby neighborhood because they were giving lots of facts about all the new high rises in the Main Gate. What really caught my eye was that they said "Two new hotels planned in the University area, one 15 floors, the other 20." now this may just be false but the 15 floor is obviously a reference to the hotel on Tyndall, but i got wondering where the "20 floor" one might be located, it couldn't be in the Main Gate because none of the zoning allows for that high. So then i was reminded of talk about the corner of Speedway and Campbell:

I looked into the properties on that corner and there is a rezoning, it leads back to developer Jim Portner of Projects International Inc (La Encantada, The Bridges, SuperTarget) heres a link: http://projectsintl.com/home.html.

anyway this might just be too much speculation but i think the supposed 20 floor hotel may be at speedway and campbell. but who knows, maybe ill ask the person on Facebook where they got the info about the 20 floor hotel.
Can't remember if I had posted it here, but I found a request from Projects International for one of those parcels requesting neighborhood association addresses. This was around the time of the meeting with Kozachik but I couldn't figure out which neighborhood association it was and many of them do not update their websites if they have websites at all. Is the rezoning request recent?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post

I'd rather see a 20 floor high-rise downtown than at Speedway and Campbell. 10 to 12 floors at that corner would be more fitting to the area and complement the Aloft across the street. Downtown desperately needs a new 20+ building, all these low-rises do little to impact the skyline.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 12:50 AM

I wouldn't mind a 20 floor building at Speedway/Campbell as long as there's a 30+ floor building downtown. I hope that 20 floor building looks sleek and simple.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 4:15 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 3:52 PM

Former Tucson Mayor Tom Volgy says that Tucson has this type of problem the last 50-60 years. Watch at 5:20 in this link . He looks older and wiser. He says Tucson didn't do very well in terms of adapting to the population boom because '...we were hamstrung in terms of resources'. I think what he meant was that we were stupid enough to listen to a handful (maybe 50 or so) extremist community activist that have the luxury and wealth to create a delusional fantasy land.

Bourne has $6.2 mil to redeveloped part of Wilmot Plaza but not enough to expand his puny and ugly downtown project.

Btw, I'll be glad that I'm wrong but Gadsden will never lay one brick or mortar with their downtown west project. Time is running out. Something needs to be built on that side otherwise the streetcar would be half successful.

Whatever happen to that Peach Property project just south of Cadence. I hope it's canceled. It's one of the ugliest buildings ever proposed in recent times.

City of Tucson needs to be careful what building they approve downtown. There's only so much space available. It only takes about 15 minute walk end to end within downtown. Hate Tucson to have the distinction as one of the ugliest downtown in the world.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 3:59 AM

Does anyone know how to post from Flickr??? I followed the instructions from the FAQ and I can't get my photo to load

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know how to post from Flickr??? I followed the instructions from the FAQ and I can't get my photo to load
When you hit share on flickr, click on the BBCode option, copy the code and you just have to paste [img]url-photo-example[/img] ...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:15 AM

I know it's not the best photo quality, still trying to figure out my camera phone settings, but took a pic of the new skyline for U of A when out with a friend. Looks kinda cool from this vantage point. Click on the link to see the full size image, you might have to click twice to get to the picture.

U of A skyline. by aznate27, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
When you hit share on flickr, click on the BBCode option, copy the code and you just have to paste [img]url-photo-example[/img] ...
Thank you! I still couldn't get the image size to work, but at least the link to the photo works

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:

U of A skyline. by aznate27, on Flickr
Nice shot. Looks good from that angle.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:25 AM

There you go. Downloading and re-uploading to Imgur is probably the easiest option. I sized it for the forum. I'd love to get a shot from a higher floor in Gould-Simpson.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 5:51 PM

University of Arizona - Environment & Natural Resources Building - 061114

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 11:23 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

New article about the Mister Car Wash headquarters move toward downtown.

Nation's Largest Car Wash Company Moving Downtown

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:24 AM

New document on the I-11 project recommends, if there is a southern Arizona segment, that it go through Tucson, not around Tucson or anywhere else. Here's a link to the document (from 6/2/14): http://i11study.com/wp/wp-content/up...4_FINAL-sm.pdf

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
New document on the I-11 project recommends, if there is a southern Arizona segment, that it go through Tucson, not around Tucson or anywhere else. Here's a link to the document (from 6/2/14): http://i11study.com/wp/wp-content/up...4_FINAL-sm.pdf
I hope I-11 passes through Tucson. Nothing unusual about buying large swaths of houses to make way for a freeway using eminent domain. Phoenix does it all the time.

V Thai just shut it's doors downtown. That would be a good spot for a mixed used building (hopefully 20+ floors) with a city Target.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:31 PM

Quote:
I hope I-11 passes through Tucson. Nothing unusual about buying large swaths of houses to make way for a freeway using eminent domain. Phoenix does it all the time.

V Thai just shut it's doors downtown. That would be a good spot for a mixed used building (hopefully 20+ floors) with a city Target.
That's not the plan right now. Through Tucson at this point means dump all the traffic onto I-10, and not build any additional infrastructure in Southern Arizona.

Phoenix gets its bypass, Tucson gets stuck with the big-rig traffic.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 1:57 AM

Quote:

I generally hate eminent domain. I don't think it's usually very fair, kicking the poor out of their homes. I agree with Thirsty too, that it's going to be all dumped onto I-10. I'm glad it's not going thru Yuma or western Pima County, but they're going to have to at least widen I-19, if not I-10 (again). And yes, we know you want a 20+ floor building built downtown, as do we all.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I generally hate eminent domain. I don't think it's usually very fair, kicking the poor out of their homes. I agree with Thirsty too, that it's going to be all dumped onto I-10. I'm glad it's not going thru Yuma or western Pima County, but they're going to have to at least widen I-19, if not I-10 (again). And yes, we know you want a 20+ floor building built downtown, as do we all.
I know of a family along with their neighbors who had their houses bought by the U of A. They were elated because U of A bought their houses above market rate. They moved out to a nicer place and a bigger house. U of A needs to demolish their houses to pave way for a garage. Eminent domain at work.

I'm not a big fan of multiple crosstown freeways in Tucson. I'd be happy to have only one. Tucson will eventually need to have at least one crosstown freeway - a piece of I-11.

btw, it's now 30+ floor buildings downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest