HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Since this is basically a SoCal freeway chat now, can we talk about the death defying blind on ramps on the 110 up in Arroyo/Pasadena?
Speaking of death defying, whenever I'm stuck in traffic on the Coronado Bay Bridge, the thought of a major quake striking at that exact moment crosses my mind and I start thinking about contingency plans, what would I do here/there. I'm not so sure that bridge would survive a major tectonic event on the Rose Canyon fault that runs underneath.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I've driven down the entire length of Sunset (from Chinatown to the ocean) quite regularly (oftentimes for the hell of it). 8 am on a clear Sunday morning where Sunset curves around Bel Air and UCLA through Pacific Palisades and Topanga Canyon while listening to Tycho is almost therapeutic.
I find driving at night when there's hardly any traffic, very relaxing and therapeutic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Since this is basically a SoCal freeway chat now, can we talk about the death defying blind on ramps on the 110 up in Arroyo/Pasadena?
I love the 110 north of downtown... originally called the Arroyo Seco Parkway, then the Pasadena Freeway, and some years ago it was officially renamed the Arroyo Seco Parkway again.

Anyway, I love its twists and curves, and I always drive fast on it when I get the opportunity, I'll admit. I drive a MINI Cooper and it handles that freeway really well, I easily go 80+ mph on it. Of course I do that when I know the traffic is light and I always look out for cops.

Also, I don't have to really deal with those short on-ramps where you have to make a complete stop before entering the freeway; being that I live in South Pasadena, I live near the Fair Oaks and Orange Grove on-ramps, and going south on those, they are more of the regular type of onramp where you can actually speed up, and you'll end up in a lane that will exit, so you just easily change lanes to merge.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Speaking of death defying, whenever I'm stuck in traffic on the Coronado Bay Bridge, the thought of a major quake striking at that exact moment crosses my mind and I start thinking about contingency plans, what would I do here/there. I'm not so sure that bridge would survive a major tectonic event on the Rose Canyon fault that runs underneath.
In 1989 I worked on Treasure Island, having moved my office there from the Naval Supply Center in Oakland. As you may know, T.I. is halfway across San Francisco Bay (and Oakland is all the way across)--to get to the city from either you use the Bay Bridge. Normally, I left work at 5 PM and by 5:14 PM I'd be either on the Bridge or, if I had been in Oakland, possibly on the Cypress elevated freeway structure. But on Oct. 17 I managed to leave work early, around 3:30, to get home in time to watch the World Series game between the Giants and the As.

As pretty much everyone knows, at 5:14 on Oct. 17, 1989 this happened:

Cypress Freeway

Bay Bridge

Images: https://www.google.com/search?q=1989...GWrEESJgHMajM:

Close call. But I think about it whenever I go to Oakland.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
In 1989 I worked on Treasure Island, having moved my office there from the Naval Supply Center in Oakland. As you may know, T.I. is halfway across San Francisco Bay (and Oakland is all the way across)--to get to the city from either you use the Bay Bridge. Normally, I left work at 5 PM and by 5:14 PM I'd be either on the Bridge or, if I had been in Oakland, possibly on the Cypress elevated freeway structure. But on Oct. 17 I managed to leave work early, around 3:30, to get home in time to watch the World Series game between the Giants and the As.

As pretty much everyone knows, at 5:14 on Oct. 17, 1989 this happened:

Cypress Freeway

Bay Bridge

Images: https://www.google.com/search?q=1989...GWrEESJgHMajM:

Close call. But I think about it whenever I go to Oakland.
I visited California from San Diego to the Bay Area in 89-90 in the holiday season. I witnessed the damage I had seen on the news months before. I noticed the cracks in some tall buildings in Chinatown SF and on some skyscrapers. The worst thing was the blocks of older buildings in Santa Cruz that had evaporated and were replaced by tents to house the small businesses downtown. Still, it is admirable to see how strong the infrastructure is in your state.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 2:44 PM

^^^^
After one hundred and eleven years and a number of large quakes up and down the state we should have.

But I call bs on this report. Maybe we need to clearly define the term "worst"? Sitting in traffic in Bangkok I really don't see how LA could be worst.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 6:25 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

ahem, no Bangkok?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions