HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 4:06 AM

Rio Nuevo says it's ready to spend some significant funds on the TCC (though on what they're not exactly sure yet), and is also hopeful of resolving the outstanding lawsuits with the city before year-end:

2008 artist's rendering of proposed $54M remodel of TCC
(courtesy: Tucson Citizen)

TCC likely to get funds from Rio Nuevo
Some of $4.5M in leftover bond funds will be used

by Darren DaRonco
Arizona Daily Star
December 13, 2012

The Tucson Convention Center could receive Rio Nuevo money after all. For years, Rio Nuevo and the city have fought over who should pay for much-needed repairs to the dilapidated TCC. On Wednesday, Rio Nuevo attorney Mark Collins informed the board the Rio Nuevo District was cleared by its bond counsel to spend the remaining approximately $4.5 million from the $80 million 2008 bond sale. While the board could allocate the money to any of the approved bond projects or debt service, Chairman Fletcher McCusker said it's most likely it will be spent on the TCC. "Because of the notice to proceed issue, the only thing we can spend money on is the TCC," McCusker said. McCusker said it's probably better to spend the money sooner rather than later. "It's money. The TCC needs it. Our sense is let's put it to work," he said. Collins said not all of the $4.5 million would be available to the district. He said some would be obligated to the city and other sources. Since he received the bond counsel's opinion just a few days ago, Collins said he would have to dig a little deeper before he could make any concrete recommendations to the board on how to proceed.

Flood Control
The district board also approved 5-1 a $43,250 drainage study on two properties behind the TCC. Stantec Consulting Services will perform the study. One of the lots is the city-owned parcel where an arena was planned and the other is owned by land investor Allan Norville. "There's some serious drainage issues on both those lots. There's an arroyo that runs through the middle of it that makes it hard to develop," McCusker said. "So what this study will do is tell us how we can route the rainwater runoff around those two lots and make both of them developable."

Tucson City Councilman Steve Kozachik questioned the move, saying unless Rio Nuevo files a notice to proceed on a hotel and convention center, state law only allows Rio Nuevo to spend money on debt service or outstanding obligations. "Spending any money violates the statute until those two things have happened," Kozachik said. "It also seems like they are just provoking the Legislature by doing this and I don't think that's helpful." He also noted that the city has to sign off on Rio Nuevo expenditures, so the board should not act as if a deal is in place until they have it in writing.

McCusker said the district can spend up to $50,000 without city approval and this money doesn't commit the district to any future obligations. By commissioning the study now, it will make it easier to develop that land once an agreement with the city is reached, McCusker said. "The bigger picture is the ability to develop that land. And that can't happen without (the city)," he said. "We'll go ahead and get the engineering work done. But I don't think we would have done that if we weren't optimistic that we would get a settlement here pretty quickly." Rio Nuevo board member Mark Irvin was the sole objector to the deal on the grounds the study should have been competitively bid. "Stantec is a really good firm," Irvin said. But "as a normal course of business, I just like to see at least three bids." Collins said a competitive bid is not mandatory when the award is only a study.

Rio Nuevo and City Negotiations
While the board met in executive session for over an hour Wednesday to discuss a settlement with the city over disputed property ownership and funding issues, it did not vote on its talks. Instead, the board is considering a special meeting Monday to finalize a settlement and discuss publicly what it entails. McCusker said the lack of a vote is an indication of how close the two sides are to resolving their differences. "Because we've converted this to a full settlement agreement, there's much more legal work that needs to be done than if we just signed a term sheet," McCusker said. "A term sheet is just kind of an indication of intent. It's not really binding. "What we have now will be binding agreement on both jurisdictions that we have to approve and the City Council will have to approve." Wednesday was also the deadline for the Rio Nuevo board to decide what to do about its $25 million claim against the city, but that topic wasn't broached because the city pushed that deadline back to the end of the year.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:42 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

First time posting, but reading for about a year. Found this old story from 2010 below on Tucson Velo that had a picture of the proposed park area for the Three Rivers Park.

Pima County plans lake-front park with several bike amenities
Michael McKisson Tucson Velo

Drawing of potential layout for the park.
(image:tucson velo)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:35 AM
Tucsonan

some fun news. Google Maps updated their satellite images of Tucson, so if you like to look at things on there- everything is updated, looks recent too because you can see the Cadence and lots of new streetcar work.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
some fun news. Google Maps updated their satellite images of Tucson, so if you like to look at things on there- everything is updated, looks recent too because you can see the Cadence and lots of new streetcar work.
Yea I noticed that ,it was taken on a tuesday, my trashcans were out, in the monsoon.

Last edited by Ritarancher; Dec 16, 2012 at 7:01 AM. Reason: iPhone auto spell is bad

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
Hmm, I see the New MLK and the apartments next to it under construction, but not Cadence? And nothing on the street car Am I looking at the wrong Google maps??

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
Hmm, I see the New MLK and the apartments next to it under construction, but not Cadence? And nothing on the street car Am I looking at the wrong Google maps??
If you zoom in too far, it reverts to the old maps. You have to be at least three notches out, I think.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
If you zoom in too far, it reverts to the old maps. You have to be at least three notches out, I think.
OH, I see now, cool thanks.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 9:18 PM

Quote:
OH, I see now, cool thanks.
You can also see the courthouse and level under construction. BTW has anyone seen or have a picture of the Tucson skyline WITH the new Unisource Energy Building?? I've looked in vain and can't find any.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 10:51 PM

Scott & Co. Is one of Yahoo's 10 top new bars in America

Scott&Co. was recognized nationally when Yahoo posted this list of 10 best new bars in America.

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/best-n...220221659.html

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:20 PM

Quote:
You can also see the courthouse and level under construction. BTW has anyone seen or have a picture of the Tucson skyline WITH the new Unisource Energy Building?? I've looked in vain and can't find any.
I have one I shot last year...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdd View Post

A pretty good picture. Our skyline has improved with the new UNS building but still needs work. For a perfect skyline we'd need a 1 south church twin slightly to the right of the existing one and 2 midrise buildings between the new UNS building and the 1 south church. To top it off we'd need a large 400+ foot tall building between 1 south church and bank of america plaza. Tucson 2020?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 2:49 AM

I agree, it is a pretty picture. Btw, there's a crane at the One East Broadway project now.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
I agree, it is a pretty picture. Btw, there's a crane at the One East Broadway project now.
A pretty significant pit too.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdd View Post

I really like this pic, thanks for posting!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
That's strange, the building isn't really that tall, they built the Sentinel Plaza and the District on 5th without a crane and they're just a floor or two shorter. But the MLK and Cadence projects both required a crane so maybe it is because of the density of tall buildings in downtown, besides the point I am glad to see progress with another building here.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:18 AM

New delays mean streetcars might not run until 2014
by Darren DaRonco
Arizona Daily Star
December 18, 2012

Those hoping to board a Tucson streetcar for the first time next fall may have to wait up to eight additional months before riding the new line. The company hired to build the city's streetcars continues to experience production delays. Some city officials are now saying it's possible the opening day for the line could get pushed back from October 2013 to late spring or early summer of 2014.

As recently as last month, city officials thought Tucson's first streetcar would begin testing on tracks in Oregon on Dec. 26 and be delivered here sometime in February. However, expectations changed after a visit to the United Streetcar plant about two weeks ago. "They have been plagued by production issues," said Tucson's Sun Link co-manager, Andrew Quigley, who was on the trip to the plant in Oregon. "And I think they have been unrealistic with their timelines." Quigley said changes to the Portland, Ore., streetcars that the plant is also producing and other factors have him predicting Tucson's first vehicle likely won't start testing until the end of February. United Streetcar "has allocated staff to the Portland vehicles due to continued design modifications," Quigley wrote in a memo. "This has resulted in their inability to put sufficient labor on our vehicles to meet their schedule."

Based on this, Quigley anticipates the city's first car won't be delivered until mid- to late April. If this occurs, United Streetcar will have missed the end of March contractual deadline to deliver the first vehicle. At that time, it will be up to the city's Procurement Department to determine if it wants to start assessing damages of $250 a day for the first 90 days and $1,200 a day thereafter, Quigley said. United Streetcar President Chandra Brown was out of the country and could not be reached for comment. Even after it arrives, the car still needs to undergo rigorous testing on Tucson's tracks before being approved for service. "We have lots of testing before meeting our certification requirements," Quigley said.

For a frame of reference, it took Portland about four months to complete testing of the prototype it received from United Streetcar before putting the car into service on its tracks. In addition, Quigley said, while one vehicle is an adequate start, the city's new system can't be tested thoroughly until the second vehicle is delivered. The second vehicle "tells you what your demands for power are and how to safely operate the system." Quigley estimates the second car could arrive in May or June. The other six cars would be delivered sometime after that. Even though delays are becoming commonplace, Quigley still believes United Streetcar will overcome these issues and deliver in the end. "They are going to have a quality streetcar, and they are going to make this right," he said. He said safety and reliability should be the city's top priority, and it shouldn't rush just to make a deadline, which is part of the reason Quigley is mentioning a potential delay in opening the line. Quigley will return to Oregon next month for another update.

Too soon to panic
Jeremy Papuga, director of transit services at the Tucson area's Regional Transportation Authority, said while there is reason to suspect an October 2013 opening may be in jeopardy, it's too early to make any definitive changes to the schedule. "At this point we would like to get some more information from the vehicle manufacturer before we really start talking about what type of delay may be incurred on the project," Papuga said. City Councilman Steve Kozachik wasn't shocked by the revelation the streetcars are further behind schedule. "Nobody can be surprised about this. When they said they were pulling the crew to work on the Portland cars, even Houdini couldn't have gotten out of that delay in our production schedule," Kozachik said. Kozachik said while it's important to keep an eye on what's happening in the Pacific Northwest, Tucson shouldn't lose sight of the pressing issues here regarding the streetcar, like opening the roads so businesses along the line can return to normal. "The most important thing is to simply finish the on-street construction and get the fence lines down so the businesses can get off life support," he said. "We're right in front of our winter visitor season and the Gem Show visitors. I don't care if it takes all year to get the streetcars - just get the streets opened up."

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
New delays mean streetcars might not run until 2014
by Darren DaRonco
Arizona Daily Star
December 18, 2012

Those hoping to board a Tucson streetcar for the first time next fall may have to wait up to eight additional months before riding the new line. The company hired to build the city's streetcars continues to experience production delays. Some city officials are now saying it's possible the opening day for the line could get pushed back from October 2013 to late spring or early summer of 2014.

As recently as last month, city officials thought Tucson's first streetcar would begin testing on tracks in Oregon on Dec. 26 and be delivered here sometime in February. However, expectations changed after a visit to the United Streetcar plant about two weeks ago. "They have been plagued by production issues," said Tucson's Sun Link co-manager, Andrew Quigley, who was on the trip to the plant in Oregon. "And I think they have been unrealistic with their timelines." Quigley said changes to the Portland, Ore., streetcars that the plant is also producing and other factors have him predicting Tucson's first vehicle likely won't start testing until the end of February. United Streetcar "has allocated staff to the Portland vehicles due to continued design modifications," Quigley wrote in a memo. "This has resulted in their inability to put sufficient labor on our vehicles to meet their schedule."

Based on this, Quigley anticipates the city's first car won't be delivered until mid- to late April. If this occurs, United Streetcar will have missed the end of March contractual deadline to deliver the first vehicle. At that time, it will be up to the city's Procurement Department to determine if it wants to start assessing damages of $250 a day for the first 90 days and $1,200 a day thereafter, Quigley said. United Streetcar President Chandra Brown was out of the country and could not be reached for comment. Even after it arrives, the car still needs to undergo rigorous testing on Tucson's tracks before being approved for service. "We have lots of testing before meeting our certification requirements," Quigley said.

For a frame of reference, it took Portland about four months to complete testing of the prototype it received from United Streetcar before putting the car into service on its tracks. In addition, Quigley said, while one vehicle is an adequate start, the city's new system can't be tested thoroughly until the second vehicle is delivered. The second vehicle "tells you what your demands for power are and how to safely operate the system." Quigley estimates the second car could arrive in May or June. The other six cars would be delivered sometime after that. Even though delays are becoming commonplace, Quigley still believes United Streetcar will overcome these issues and deliver in the end. "They are going to have a quality streetcar, and they are going to make this right," he said. He said safety and reliability should be the city's top priority, and it shouldn't rush just to make a deadline, which is part of the reason Quigley is mentioning a potential delay in opening the line. Quigley will return to Oregon next month for another update.

Too soon to panic
Jeremy Papuga, director of transit services at the Tucson area's Regional Transportation Authority, said while there is reason to suspect an October 2013 opening may be in jeopardy, it's too early to make any definitive changes to the schedule. "At this point we would like to get some more information from the vehicle manufacturer before we really start talking about what type of delay may be incurred on the project," Papuga said. City Councilman Steve Kozachik wasn't shocked by the revelation the streetcars are further behind schedule. "Nobody can be surprised about this. When they said they were pulling the crew to work on the Portland cars, even Houdini couldn't have gotten out of that delay in our production schedule," Kozachik said. Kozachik said while it's important to keep an eye on what's happening in the Pacific Northwest, Tucson shouldn't lose sight of the pressing issues here regarding the streetcar, like opening the roads so businesses along the line can return to normal. "The most important thing is to simply finish the on-street construction and get the fence lines down so the businesses can get off life support," he said. "We're right in front of our winter visitor season and the Gem Show visitors. I don't care if it takes all year to get the streetcars - just get the streets opened up."
I have a few beefs with this.

One, a $250 a day penalty is pathetic. I lived in an apartment once that had a $50 per day late fee on rent. The fact that we're talking about a $200 difference for a multi-million dollar contract is unbelievable.

Two, and this is somewhat speculative, I can only imagine the city went with this company because it was American and they thought that fact would pacify a contingent of the electorate that would generally oppose this type of project. I realize that the company was selected after the RTA was passed but appeasing people with token gestures is often politically expedient. Assuming that premise is even partially true, I can guarantee a good portion of that contingent make up the trolls on ADS who celebrate every reported holdup.

With that out of the way, I think Kozachik is exactly right. As long as streets are reopened as soon as possible, businesses generally shouldn't suffer too much from delays on the cars themselves. The Cadence could potentially face some leasing issues but it's not much further from UA than The District which is totally full, IIRC.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I have a few beefs with this.

One, a $250 a day penalty is pathetic. I lived in an apartment once that had a $50 per day late fee on rent. The fact that we're talking about a $200 difference for a multi-million dollar contract is unbelievable.

Two, and this is somewhat speculative, I can only imagine the city went with this company because it was American and they thought that fact would pacify a contingent of the electorate that would generally oppose this type of project. I realize that the company was selected after the RTA was passed but appeasing people with token gestures is often politically expedient. Assuming that premise is even partially true, I can guarantee a good portion of that contingent make up the trolls on ADS who celebrate every reported holdup.

With that out of the way, I think Kozachik is exactly right. As long as streets are reopened as soon as possible, businesses generally shouldn't suffer too much from delays on the cars themselves. The Cadence could potentially face some leasing issues but it's not much further from UA than The District which is totally full, IIRC.
The major funding for this project is a federal TIGER grant, The feds have a Buy American requirement so that's where this came from. Further, the City uses a competitive bidding process so if it weren't for the federal requirement perhaps another company may have been selected.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorv View Post
The major funding for this project is a federal TIGER grant, The feds have a Buy American requirement so that's where this came from. Further, the City uses a competitive bidding process so if it weren't for the federal requirement perhaps another company may have been selected.
OK. I realize that the source of my confusion is United's claim, which is oft-repeated, that they're the "only manufacturer of modern streetcars in the United States." Knowing that several other streetcars have been funded through TIGER and Tucson's is one of only three that United has worked on led me to believe the other cities were using imported vehicles. Turns out, United's advertising just isn't 100% honest as the other cities are using traditional streetcar builders like Siemens and CAF who build their existing products in newly developed US facilities.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 8:42 PM

Arizona now 15th most populous state

According to the Census Bureau's latest estimates as of July 1, 2012, Arizona has now surpassed Indiana as the nation's 15th largest with 6,553,255 residents, slightly behind #14 Massachusetts.

http://www.census.gov/popest/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest