HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Oh probably 10 years of massive chaos, then realize they've made a grave mistake, and then redo the whole thing over again, taking another 10 years! (Cough cough...Berry Mills Rd from Horseman Rd to Edinburgh Dr.)
Pessimist......

When they made the announcement. I believe they talked about a 2020 completion date. In other words, only three years of traffic chaos.

I firmly believe that if they truly took this bull by the horns, that it could be done in 12-18 months.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:46 PM

Passed by the McLaughlin Place this morning, and they had 2 Concrete pump trucks One was at the Pharmasave, and the other next to the Subway.

The home seems to be moving along well

Also: I think there is work going on off Mill Road behind the townhomes Between Drummond, and Storey Road. I had seen people, and company trucks there but don't know the company

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:02 PM

Just heard from a Costco Employee friend (I know, I know) but she was just told, it's official, Costco will be moving to Elmwood within a year.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Just heard from a Costco Employee friend (I know, I know) but she was just told, it's official, Costco will be moving to Elmwood within a year.
So many rumours, so little to go on.......

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So many rumours, so little to go on.......
I think all of the rumoured sites were in play at one time or another, maybe locations used against each other for a better deal. Her bosses told them today "It came down to the wire, but Elmwood was chosen." Take it for what it's worth!

If true, I fear my mother-in-law will be visiting us near Elmwood a lot more often

Last edited by David_99; Jul 25, 2017 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, IMHO, Elmwood would be better than Harrisville (although I'd still prefer them to remain in the Mapleton district).

The rumour is that the new store will be the biggest in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:46 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Are they putting it north of the highway? Will they be making that off ramp at the DQ into two left lanes?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Are they putting it north of the highway?
If this rumour is legitimate, then yes, it would be logical to locate it north of the TCH. The Elmwood Centre site, currently under construction, would be ideal. It's close to the TCH and would have good visibility from the highway. Given the size of this development, there would be room.

Quote:
Will they be making that off ramp at the DQ into two left lanes?
The off ramp is certainly wide enough to be reconfigured to allow this, and the Elmwood underpass under the TCH is plenty wide too in order to allow two northbound lanes at least as far as the entrance into the Elmwood Centre. The Elmwood Centre intersection will be signalized too. It all fits........

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:57 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Are they putting it north of the highway? Will they be making that off ramp at the DQ into two left lanes?
This would make sense (sort of) that lot is waaaay too big for superstore and home hardware. But the location would not be ideal for most other retailers around trinity and whatnot.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 8:03 PM

if true, This will leave a sizeable hole in the Mapleton retail area landscape. It will be interesting to see what fills the space.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Well, IMHO, Elmwood would be better than Harrisville (although I'd still prefer them to remain in the Mapleton district).

I had just recently heard it would be the largest in Canada.

Edit: Whoops, it's Ikea (Dartmouth Crossing) that is rumoured to be the biggest in Canada (got my rumours mixed up).

Last edited by HanSoloCup; Jul 26, 2017 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:04 PM

With a quick SNB search, it's interesting to see that a massive lot (in red, below) backing on McLaughlin was recently sold in April.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:

The issue with the current location is getting in and out and we are the only location in New Brunswick not to have a Gas Bar. But only time will tell.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
The issue with the current location is getting in and out and we are the only location in New Brunswick not to have a Gas Bar. But only time will tell.
Did Saint John get a gas bar yet? I thought I heard they were scouting a location but hadn't heard any progress on that. AFAIK, Freddy was the only Costco Gasbar in the Maritimes.

In any case, the current Moncton Costco has many issues, mainly due to its location and how Mapleton has grown up around it. There isn't room for a gas bar, and the parking is way too small for the store (made worse by the fact that the location may be better suited for a windfarm than a shopping centre with how the winds constantly blow across the lot). It was the first Costco in NB, built when they were just guessing what the demand would be like. I think ultimately the demand proved greater than they ever dreamed since it is still very very busy, even with stores in Freddy and SJ now.

That Costco would be moving to a new location was a given; the only unknowns are where that location would be, and how big the new store will ultimately be. (A gas bar is a given; though I was surprised on a recent trip to Ottawa; a new Costco in Kanata doesn't have a gas bar unless they are still building it across the street)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:44 PM

Elmwood Dr cannot handle a Costco. There is too much residential in the area.

So yes, NIMB!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 7:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
With a quick SNB search, it's interesting to see that a massive lot (in red, below) backing on McLaughlin was recently sold in April.

Interesting. Maybe somebody heard a rumour and is speculating on major retail development in the area. If this plot of land gets developed too (especially for retail), I could see off ramps for McLaughlin coming sometime in the future......

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Maybe somebody heard a rumour and is speculating on major retail development in the area. If this plot of land gets developed too (especially for retail), I could see off ramps for McLaughlin coming sometime in the future......
Even if Costco ends up in the green area, I think they should still seriously consider installing the McLaughlin ramps and connecting the two areas to lessen the burden on Elmwood.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post

Costco needs a minimum of 2-3 controlled traffic intersections with ease of ingress and egress. Elmwood would back up to the TCH because 99% of traffic would come from the highway. I would think the city and or province would work with Day and Ross before investing 20-30mil into infra-structure on McLaughlin Road which is basically a country road in this area. Which also would fly in the face of the cities goal to encourage urbanization and cease uncontrolled growth. Also this entire site is in a big hole off the highway. You would be hard pressed to see the roof of Costco on this Elmwood site from the highway. Costco will also likely need 20 acres of absolutely flat parking lot, I am no civil engineer, but I don't see 20 acres of flat square land inside the Elmwood site. My vote is the natural perch (higher elevation and level to the highway) above Day and Ross and Mapleton. Costco will sit like the Mecca it is and deserves to be, behind Day and Ross. And continue to drive more traffic to Moncton, as people will come to shop, eat and stay with everything Trinity offers vs an Elmwood or Harrisville that has no appeal to out of town people who want to make a trip out of going to Costco. It will be interesting to see what ultimately becomes reality vs. rumour.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:17 PM

Heard that the Costco CEO was in last week and announced this to the staff

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Heard that the Costco CEO was in last week and announced this to the staff
So, another independent source. This rumour is beginning to gain traction.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces