HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding the Euston Park Restaurant proposal:

- inspired by a Brooklyn NY restaurant called Nowadays.
- if approved, construction would be in 2018 with an opening date in Spring 2019.
- the restaurant would be open May to October, with a tent providing some shelter and there would be heat lamps for the cooler months.
- menu would be mostly local craft beers and street food (burgers, tacos etc).
- the owners have extensive hospitality experience, have lived internationally for 10 years, but wish to return home.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

- if approved, construction would be in 2018 with an opening date in Spring 2019.
- the restaurant would be open May to October, with a tent providing some shelter and there would be heat lamps for the cooler months.
- the owners have extensive hospitality experience, have lived internationally for 10 years, but wish to return home.
Awesome news! I hope this works! I would definitely stop in.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
According to their website it says fall but I doubt it will be that long either
Opening date for Goodlife Fitness on Vaughan Harvey is October 6th. Talked to a friend that will be transferring there to work from Mapleton.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:

It a strange place for this type of business to go in my opinion. Since majority of the area is run down home, Medical, offices, vacant overgrown land, and commercial/lite industrial. Unless there trying to do this to push for a change to take place in the area like the Owner of Zio's is hopping for with his new Restaurant at the corner of Church, and Mountain Road.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:

And every other Biergarten in the world.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding the proposed Harper Street Hotel; they were discussing this at Moncton city council last night.

Here are a few crappy screen captures I made during the live cast of the meeting. I apologize for the poor quality of the images. I imagine better renders will surface at some point in the future if there is any further progress on this proposal.........

The proposal is for an 8-14 storey hotel. The previous renders had shown it in a 12 storey format. The current renders seem to show a 10 storey format. The top floor is apparently envisaged as being a restaurant. From the renders, it appears there will be exterior glass faced elevators at the front of the building........

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Regarding the proposed Harper Street Hotel; they were discussing this at Moncton city council last night.

Here are a few crappy screen captures I made during the live cast of the meeting. I apologize for the poor quality of the images. I imagine better renders will surface at some point in the future if there is any further progress on this proposal.........

The proposal is for an 8-14 storey hotel. The previous renders had shown it in a 12 storey format. The current renders seem to show a 10 storey format. The top floor is apparently envisaged as being a restaurant. From the renders, it appears there will be exterior glass faced elevators at the front of the building........

This design reminds me of the Hilton Embassy suites in Montreal.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:20 PM

This is directly from the Mayors Facebook page, you will notice they approved the rezoning for the beergarden and the new hotel on Harper street.

Quote:
A full agenda at tonight's Public Council session! We began with a beautiful rendition of "O Canada" by Bijoux Mulali, in celebration of Canada's 150th, followed by lots of road closure requests for upcoming events (no sign of things slowing down around here!). We then honoured Lillian MacMellon for her decade-long commitment to the Heritage Board, and learned about an initiative from Eco360 that will see a new mobile eco-depot in town 2 days at a time, 3x per year (additionally, they will be expanding their free drop off (up to 1/2 tonne) to two weeks per year).

In Planning Matters, we agreed to go forward with new rezonings that would allow for a shipping container bar as a pilot project (similar to the Stilwell Beergarden in Halifax), a sport daycare on Ryan Road and a new hotel on Harper Street (8-14 stories). Additionally, we amended three subdivisions (Bluteau, Grove Hamlet and Trailsides).

Council went forward with three Enhancing Democracy Committee recommendations to: 1. Encourage better education around municipal education for newcomers; 2. Improve NB school curriculum around municipal education and 3. Improve transparency around municipal campaign spending regulations.

We then approved a retail water and wastewater service rate study (as a way to equalize, enhance the City’s revenue security and ensure that we are adequately planning for the future from an infrastructure renewal perspective), an MOU with Riverview and Dieppe (for regional economic development) and a hierarchy of legislation policy. Next up was the decision to put 7 NB power poles underground on Vaughan Harvey and to go ahead with the second stage of the KCI Fundraising initiative (to raise $5 million for the Events Centre, a goal that has always been part of the business plan). And finally, we agreed to purchase 2 bus shelters, to upgrade Riverfront Trail (between Bore Park and the Rogers parking lot) and to upgrade Grove Hamlet Park (as part of our ongoing work implementing our Recreation Master Plan).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Baci Italia update (from Retail Talk & Share). The signage is being installed.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 2:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The former Collier's International Building (SW corner of Main/Downing) has sold at auction to Galco Investments.

The new owners apparently are aware and respect the architectural integrity of the building and also it's prominent location on the main pedestrian corridor between Main Street and the riverfront. They intend to repurpose the building for a "hospitality based" enterprise (presumably a restaurant or pub), and plan to build a patio on the building but will work with city planners to make sure that the architectural integrity of the building is preserved to the city's satisfaction.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 22, 2017 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 2:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The second floor restaurant at Dolma Food on St George St is now open (photos from Dolma's FB page). The fare is mostly sushi and tapas.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:58 AM

Not sure where to post this. Was in Moncton over the past week. Snapped this pic.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Not sure where to post this. Was in Moncton over the past week. Snapped this pic.

This is awesome! Was this taken from a drone? Thanks for the post! This perspective shows how far the city has to go before we fill out our downtown.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:38 PM
Throbbing Mass

I was dismayed when Dolma abandoned middle-eastern food in favour of sushi (of which I am not a fan). I really liked their baklava, which was flavoured with orangeflower water instead of the usual rosewater.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
This is awesome! Was this taken from a drone? Thanks for the post! This perspective shows how far the city has to go before we fill out our downtown.
Yeah was taken with a Mavic Pro. Lots of room for downtown to grow for sure, but Main Street is starting to mature it feels like. Was surprised to see so many new restaurants and patios since the last time I had visited. Almost all the storefronts seem to be occupied now, and the street actually feels quite bustling. Downing Plaza is looking great as well. Does anyone know when the next phase of it is expected to begin? Also what about the new east-west road south of Assumption Place?

A couple more pics from the past week, including the Inspire Festival:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 4:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice pics!

Most of the proposals for SoM (South of Main) remain planning thought experiments for now, but I like the idea of moving the city market to Downing Street and combining it with a relocation of the city library into a new building as shown below (with a condo tower in the background).

Sadly, there is currently no time frame for phase two of Downing. I suspect they are waiting for a final decision on the location of the new Codiac RCMP headquarters before proceeding. We should know this by early next year.......

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Nice pics!

Most of the proposals for SoM (South of Main) remain planning thought experiments for now, but I like the idea of moving the city market to Downing Street and combining it with a relocation of the city library into a new building as shown below (with a condo tower in the background).

Sadly, there is currently no time frame for phase two of Downing. I suspect they are waiting for a final decision on the location of the new Codiac RCMP headquarters before proceeding. We should know this by early next year.......
While other cities are fighting to switch out the all glass buildings Moncton's renders for SoM seem to be nothing more then all glass buildings, or at least majority glass.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:03 PM

I was just wondering why the curbs that were installed for the road leading to the new GoodLife building off of Vaughn Harvey don't have openings in them to allow for the new Junction development? I realize these can be added later but it would seem that if development was eminent they would have done so now.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
I was just wondering why the curbs that were installed for the road leading to the new GoodLife building off of Vaughn Harvey don't have openings in them to allow for the new Junction development? I realize these can be added later but it would seem that if development was eminent they would have done so now.
I wondered the very same thing (and was a little worried about the observation too).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
I wondered the very same thing (and was a little worried about the observation too).
Though this may sound weird, maybe they plan on only having an entrance at one end of the development?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces