HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 5:18 AM

Went through Amherst for the first time this year over the weekend. I couldn't take picture since I was driving but I will say that wind farm is MASSIVE!

It was quite the eye-catching feature and really does a lot to welcome people to Nova Scotia (better than the corny lighthouse near the bridge). All of the traffic around me was so memorized it slowed to 90 clicks just to gawk a bit more.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:48 PM
Honored Member

(source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-approved.html)
Quote:
Chester approves Nova Scotia's largest wind farm
Controversial South Canoe Wind Project divides community
CBC News Posted: Mar 15, 2013 6:55 AM AT Last Updated: Mar 15, 2013 8:37 AM AT

Municipal councillors in Nova Scotia's Lunenburg County have approved a controversial, $200-million wind farm that will be largest in the province when it goes on the grid in 2015.

The Municipality of the District of Chester approved the South Canoe Wind Project on Thursday after hundreds of people attended heated public meetings on the project, which was criticized for its proximity to residences.

"They've moved the boundaries westward, which puts them closer to my home," said Greg Broome, who lives approximately five kilometres from the proposed South Canoe site.

"I think the province needs to step in and say lets put a moratorium on these things."

The South Canoe Wind Project — a joint venture between Nova Scotia Power, Oxford Frozen Foods and Minas Basin Pulp and Power — includes 34 wind turbines between Vaughan and New Russell that are expected to provide 102 megawatts of electricity in the area.

The project's website said that's enough to power about 32,000 homes.

The wind farm is expected to stretch across almost 3,000 hectares and begin producing power late next year.

Tina Connors, who was the only councillor in the Municipality of the District of Chester to vote against moving the wind project forward, said she spoke with the developers after Thursday's 6-1 decision.

"We've agreed that we will move forward," she told CBC News.
It seems like wind farms should be a very significant source of energy for Nova Scotia and the Atlantic Provinces. In addition to onshore locations, there are so many islands close to the shore with no residents where wind farms could be built. It seems like the Atlantic Provinces should be one of the best areas in Canada for wind farms, especially close the North Atlantic Ocean shoreline.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:58 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
The one just outside Amherst is kind of 'fugly'...did they have to put it right next to the main highway?
Personally I think it's beautiful. It's the perfect complement to the setting on the Tantramar marsh.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Personally I think it's beautiful. It's the perfect complement to the setting on the Tantramar marsh.
I agree. I always look forward to seeing it everytime I drive down to NS.

I'm not saying windfarms should be located just anywhere, but the farm on the Tantramar Marshes are interesting and are a very impressive welcoming statement to Nova Scotia.

I wonder how the residents of Amherst feel about the windfarm?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 6:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
The one just outside Amherst is kind of 'fugly'...did they have to put it right next to the main highway?
Considering that Tantramar has to be one of the windiest spots in the Maritimes? Yes.

Quote:
Definitely. I love seeing the windfarm whenever I drive through Amherst (which was twice yesterday, actually )

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 9:04 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
For the sake of us who haven't driven that way for a few years, I found the image below:

(source: http://www.freewebs.com/ve1jbl/maritimenews.htm )

The following caption was with the photo: "Photo attached - taken by Adam Bickle May 08 2012 from a Cessna 172 at 1000 feet over Amherst. Notice the 18-wheeler on the TCH .. it gives a good idea of the size of those turbines !
That's Minudie and Dorchester Cape in the near distance, and Riverside-Albert NB in the far distance."

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 9:32 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree. I always look forward to seeing it everytime I drive down to NS.

I'm not saying windfarms should be located just anywhere, but the farm on the Tantramar Marshes are interesting and are a very impressive welcoming statement to Nova Scotia.

I wonder how the residents of Amherst feel about the windfarm?
Well I'm from Amherst (left in 1998) and my parents still live there, and according to them, a lot of people there complain that it's ugly.

I find it rather ironic considering how many things there I find ugly that most residents don't seem to bat an eye at. Surface parking lots covering more of downtown than the buildings, historic buildings covered by metal siding, conspicuous vacant lots left in town while new suburban subdivisions are continually constructed, etc.

I guess there's no accounting for taste...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 1:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bumping an old thread.

NB Power announces expansion of Kent Hills wind farm
5 new wind turbines will power an additional 7,300 homes a year, company says
By Jordan Gill, CBC News Posted: Jun 20, 2017 7:14 PM AT Last Updated: Jun 20, 2017 7:14 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...farm-1.4169706

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 6:00 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Bumping an old thread.

NB Power announces expansion of Kent Hills wind farm
5 new wind turbines will power an additional 7,300 homes a year, company says
By Jordan Gill, CBC News Posted: Jun 20, 2017 7:14 PM AT Last Updated: Jun 20, 2017 7:14 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...farm-1.4169706
Great news! I'm actually in Amherst today and was pondering why we don't put up more turbines all the time considering the many great windy spots we have, glad to hear there are more on the way

PS just re-reading the convo above...the turbines on the marsh are simply beautiful and fascinating...I miss the old antennas near sackville though!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:40 AM

Check the numbers which compare the cost of our power from nuclear, hydro, etc... versus wind.
You'll find out the wind might be free but the power from wind is far, far from it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 3:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Major wind power expansion possible:

Multiple new wind farms are proposed (including five in NB) in order to satisfy power demands in Massachusetts.

The largest farm (Salmon River, near Norton NB) would have 96 turbines!!!

The whole project is projected to provide enough power for over 500,000 homes, and would be connected to Massachusetts by an undersea cable from Saint John.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ower-1.4226572

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 29, 2017 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 11:29 PM

Why are we not using that energy to power NB instead of selling off these prime wind harnessing areas for export?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjohnirish☘ View Post
Why are we not using that energy to power NB instead of selling off these prime wind harnessing areas for export?
They probably pay better.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
They probably pay better.
That's exactly what I was going to say, I think it all depends on which will give them more money.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:37 PM

Theoretically, energy is energy; it shouldn't matter if it comes from windmills, tidal machines, nuclear reactions or burning fossil fuels.

But I wonder if on the US Market, there are some optics involved. Massachusets or other energy utilities down there may be trying to get an Eco boost from saying they are providing "Clean/Green" energy to their clients; and buying Wind power from NB would be one way to say that; even if the rest of the province has to be powered by dirty coal/oil and big bad Nuke power. (Oh and Hydro power of course)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:06 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

New Brunswick's three municipal electric utilities (Saint John Energy, Edmundston Energy and Perth-Andover Electric Light Commission) are jointly proposing to develop two 20MW wind farms in the province.
Quote:
The Charlotte County Community Wind Farm and Chapman Community Wind Farm are both 20 megawatt projects, each with a value of approximately $60 million. Once operational, these small-scale renewable projects could each power as many as 6,400 households each year, helping NB Power to meet its energy demand.

The wind farm opportunities were identified and put forward for consideration as part of the second phase of the provincial Locally-Owned Renewable Energy Small Scale (LORESS) program. If they are among those selected, they could be operational as early as December 31st, 2020.

The sites, in South Oromocto and Chapmanville, were selected because of the wind resource, proximity of the electricity network and the available space. Both are isolated from any dwellings, and are in wooded areas that are partly deforested. Environmental, social and technical considerations were taken into account as part of the site selection process.

To develop these projects, the local entities have joined forces with the company Valeco Énergie Québec, a company that develops and operates renewable energy power plants.

Source - page 79

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces