HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Boardwalk at Bricktown - Legends Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 5:19 PM

Chicago, San Francisco, New York - a city has to break its way onto the world stage somehow maybe this will be that project for OKC

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 5:49 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Early quote from G.Walker: “ There are also alot of major developments going in OKC right now that outsiders don't really know about. The Half, OAK, The Citizen, Convergence, & OKANA are all big projects currently under construction.”

True, they may not be major for Chicago, but they are for OKC (and would be for Nashville too)..
I realize Nashville is a bit of an outlier in terms of development right now for cities in the 1-3 million population range and thus a bit unfair to compare to, but Nashville probably has 80+ buildings of 12 stories or more proposed or U/C right now or recently completed, so I disagree that a single 12 story building would be considered a "major" development there. But maybe they would be in other cities of a similar size and I'm just out of touch! In anycase, that is neither here nor there as this is not about comparisons, but rather, what constitutes demand in the city of Oklahoma City. I suppose it's all a bit subjective as to what constitutes a "major" development, and I'm willing to just concede that you obviously know your city far better than I ever could, but in my opinion a 12 story building, a suburban food/entertainment hall and a midrise hotel with a wave pool being touted as major projects doesn't exactly scream to me 'hell yeah this city is ripe for 120 plus combined floors of urban residential in a single project!' But that's just me. Again, I hope I'm wrong!

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Jan 4, 2024 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I realize Nashville is a bit of an outlier in terms of development right now for cities in the 1-3 million population range and thus a bit unfair to compare to, but Nashville probably has 80+ buildings of 12 stories or more proposed or U/C right now or recently completed, so I disagree that a single 12 story building would be considered a "major" development there. But maybe they would be in other cities of a similar size and I'm just out of touch! In anycase, that is neither here nor there as this is not about comparisons, but rather, what constitutes demand in the city of Oklahoma City. I suppose it's all a bit subjective as to what constitutes a "major" development, and I'm willing to just concede that you obviously know your city far better than I ever could, but in my opinion a 12 story building, a suburban food/entertainment hall and a midrise hotel with a wave pool being touted as major projects doesn't exactly scream to me 'hell yeah this city is ripe for 120 plus combined floors of urban residential in a single project!' But that's just me. Again, I hope I'm wrong!
OKANA Resort is a $400M+ indoor water park & entertainment destination. That is just a couple miles down the river from downtown. I would say this would be pretty major for any city.

Convergence: $200M mixed use development in the Innovation District, just east of the downtown core. I would say this would be major for any city.

The Citizen: $75M mixed use tower, in the downtown core.

OAK OKC: $100M+ development consisting of mid rise hotel, apartments, retail, & leisure.

The Half: $100M+ development consisting of mid rise hotel, apartments, retail, & leisure.

not to mention new $1B arena just approved for downtown, that will literally change everything, the future is bright for OKC.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 8:10 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
OKANA Resort is a $400M+ indoor water park & entertainment destination. That is just a couple miles down the river from downtown. I would say this would be pretty major for any city.

Convergence: $200M mixed use development in the Innovation District, just east of the downtown core. I would say this would be major for any city.

The Citizen: $75M mixed use tower, in the downtown core.

OAK OKC: $100M+ development consisting of mid rise hotel, apartments, retail, & leisure.

The Half: $100M+ development consisting of mid rise hotel, apartments, retail, & leisure.

not to mention new $1B arena just approved for downtown, that will literally change everything, the future is bright for OKC.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 8:32 PM

Not for nothing, OKC has streetcar, BRT, Amtrak and is studying commuter rail.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 12:01 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Not for nothing, OKC has streetcar, BRT, Amtrak and is studying commuter rail.
No doubt! I hope you're not saying this to counter what you see as me trying to bash the city. Let me be clear just encase... I like OKC and I think it has a lot going for it... things that a lot of other cities it's size, Nashville included, can and should learn from, particularly on the transit front. My comments here are related solely to demand for huge scale urban residential towers. And that isn't a knock on the city... it's just a reality that, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the city has never built a downtown highrise residential tower, and hasn't built one in the city period in about forty years. That doesn't make it bad or anything, I'm just saying, it just seems like given that fact it's a stretch to me to suggest that all of a sudden there is demand for two forty story luxury condo towers and a 1,700 whatever foot apartment tower. Hopefully this time next year I'm eating crow. But now I'm beating a dead horse. I said I'd shut up... I guess I failed in that promise.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Jan 5, 2024 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
No doubt! I hope you're not saying this to counter what you see as me trying to bash the city. Let me be clear just encase... I like OKC and I think it has a lot going for it... things that a lot of other cities it's size, Nashville included, can and should learn from, particularly on the transit front. My comments here are related solely to demand for huge scale urban residential towers. And that isn't a knock on the city... it's just a reality that, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the city has never built a downtown highrise residential tower, and hasn't built one in the city period in about forty years. That doesn't make it bad or anything, I'm just saying, it just seems like given that fact it's a stretch to me to suggest that all of a sudden there is demand for two forty story luxury condo towers and a 1,700 whatever foot apartment tower. Hopefully this time next year I'm eating crow. But now I'm beating a dead horse. I said I'd shut up... I guess I failed in that promise.
I get it. And all the best for both cities!

I do suspect that people are distracted by the 1,750’ tower. Take that a way and you’ve got a couple 35 story rentals and a hotel that have been in works for years, are financed, supported by heavy pockets and massive incentives. And I think retail has already signed on. Given the location, I expect lots of people will want to be a part of this.

Last edited by Dale; Jan 5, 2024 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 2:52 AM
Future God

Quote:
I get it. And all the best for both cities!

I do suspect that people are distracted by the 1,750’ tower. Take that a way and you’ve got a couple 35 story rentals and a hotel that have been in works for years, are financed, supported by heavy pockets and massive incentives. And I think retail has already signed on. Given the location, I expect lots of people will want to be a part of this.
I hope so, and who knows, maybe this will help to create that demand and is the beginning of a downtown boom!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Cities like Charleston, SC, Columbia, SC, Memphis, TN, Albuquerque, NM, Salt Lake City, UT, and Wichita tend to lack in tall buildings. It means they do not have a building that is at least 500 feet tall.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 8:26 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare2016 View Post
Cities like Charleston, SC, Columbia, SC, Memphis, TN, Albuquerque, NM, Salt Lake City, UT, and Wichita tend to lack in tall buildings. It means they do not have a building that is at least 500 feet tall.
Cool.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 10:36 PM

Charleston is booming, albeit with height restrictions.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 7:23 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth
OKC is all good. It's one of those cities trying to do the right thing with a ton of room to do it in - one thing at a time from the civic (e.g. MAPS) point of view. It just has a developer dude trying to do something a little over the top. No worries. The extra will sort itself.

Last edited by CTroyMathis; Jan 7, 2024 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 3:51 AM

What happened to page 2 of this thread?
There was some info, I wanted to review.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
What happened to page 2 of this thread?
There was some info, I wanted to review.
Go to the top where it says page 8 and change that to a 2. Otherwise click on page 1 and then page 2 will become an option.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 4:20 PM

LA, Seattle, Toronto, Houston, Dallas.......I could see that tower in any one of those cities, but OKC? Just seems so incredibly out of place. lol

Devon Tower doesn't even look like it belongs. It's a gorgeous tower, but it doesn't match the OKC skyline in the least bit.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
LA, Seattle, Toronto, Houston, Dallas.......I could see that tower in any one of those cities, but OKC? Just seems so incredibly out of place. lol

Devon Tower doesn't even look like it belongs. It's a gorgeous tower, but it doesn't match the OKC skyline in the least bit.
It would look like a 500 footer in Boise!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 6:48 PM
DENNAB

Yea, it's over twice as tall as Devon which already looks out of place. Maybe OKC will be like the new Dubai and build a bunch of buildings to fill in though and put itself on the map lol.

Kind of like Egypt and that massive tower in the desert.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea, it's over twice as tall as Devon which already looks out of place. Maybe OKC will be like the new Dubai and build a bunch of buildings to fill in though and put itself on the map lol.

Kind of like Egypt and that massive tower in the desert.
Now THAT would be insane if OKC boomed like Dubai...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 1:32 AM

Quote:
It would look like a 500 footer in Boise!
Facts!!!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare2016 View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason being that those cities don't have buildings taller than 500+ ft tall is because there's really no need to build such buildings since those cities have vast amounts of land in comparison to your Northeast cities and Midwest cities, which were much denser in their heydays.

Either way, a 1750 ft monolith would look very out of place in OKC, and I just don't believe that the tower will be built. It's a nice vision, but OKC needs to grow more organic and the monolith is in no way, organic growth!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects