HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 7:57 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltliner View Post
Arright, arright, Boris, that's enough preaching to the choir already....
Hey, you in the back, I'm preachin' here! I've got NIMBY's to slay, and lurkers to convert!

Quote:
I defy you to watch the nightly Yellow Cab Convention in the parking lot of the Beltline Mac's/Timmy's and tell me we're short of taxi drivers in this burg.
Can't the same be said for the cops?

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 8:03 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Can't the same be said for the cops?
With all the cabs, there's never a place for Constable Plod to park!

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 1:40 AM
Round Head

Beltliner, you might want to think about voting strategically in ward 8 though. The fascist Chapman only came within 160 some odd votes of winning over King last time.

King, for all her faults is a staunch allie in the urban fight. None of what you see going on in the Beltline, the passing of the Blueprint, the ARP, Centre City, the new park west of safran, the new police officers and by-law, the CSO pilot would have happened without her. As an employee of Beltline Communities, we constantly see her - and is squarely on our side.

A vote for Luhnau is a vote for Steve Chapman unfortunately. Luhnau and Mar have NO presence in anything Beltline - have never shown up to an event or meeting of any kind. Even Chapman shows up to things.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 2:06 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
King, for all her faults is a staunch allie in the urban fight. None of what you see going on in the Beltline, the passing of the Blueprint, the ARP, Centre City, the new park west of safran, the new police officers and by-law, the CSO pilot would have happened without her. As an employee of Beltline Communities, we constantly see her - and is squarely on our side.
I appreciate that information Josh. But as you have described her working hard for the Beltline, she has to realize that her ward goes beyond Crowchild and she would need to represent us in Killarney/Glengarry too. I wouldn't vote for Chapman (anti-gay, Chandler's Bitch), Mar is unknown, and Luhnau appeals to me as an alternative, but unknown as well. I hadn't considered vote-splitting before as I don't cast any votes (prov., fed.) with that in mind. This time I probably will.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 2:51 AM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Beltliner, you might want to think about voting strategically in ward 8 though. The fascist Chapman only came within 160 some odd votes of winning over King last time.

A vote for Luhnau is a vote for Steve Chapman unfortunately. Luhnau and Mar have NO presence in anything Beltline - have never shown up to an event or meeting of any kind. Even Chapman shows up to things.
Strategic voting? Strategic voting?

Arright, Josh, I'll give her one more shot at answering a few bloomin' simple questions--but only because of your interlocution on her behalf. If she doesn't take the hint, I'm a free agent. Deal?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 4:17 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
I appreciate that information Josh. But as you have described her working hard for the Beltline, she has to realize that her ward goes beyond Crowchild and she would need to represent us in Killarney/Glengarry too. I wouldn't vote for Chapman (anti-gay, Chandler's Bitch), Mar is unknown, and Luhnau appeals to me as an alternative, but unknown as well. I hadn't considered vote-splitting before as I don't cast any votes (prov., fed.) with that in mind. This time I probably will.
I'm curious what issues killarney/glengarry are facing these days.

Beltliner - what email are you sending to madeleine? What kinds of questions are you looking to get answered?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 4:37 AM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
I'm curious what issues killarney/glengarry are facing these days.

Beltliner - what email are you sending to madeleine? What kinds of questions are you looking to get answered?
Ooh-er. This is the message I sent all four of 'em on 28 August:

Quote:
Thank you so much right off the bat for putting yourself forward as a candidate for Ward Eight of Calgary’s City Council this October.

I’ve taken the opportunity to visit your campaign website, and you have rised some intriguing ideas about where you see the Beltline going over the next few years. Given that life in the Beltline has given me some ideas about mass transit, public safety, open communication, and quality of life that I would consider to be in my interest to have addressed, I came up with a few questions that I am posing to you and to all of the candidates for the Ward Eight seat on City Council:

Focus on Community:

F1. Please describe how the most important lesson you learnt in working with your community league is relevant to your work as an alderman.

F2. Please recount a situation wherein you were able to respond constructively to a commercial development proposal for your community that in your estimation was poorly conceived.

Responsiveness:

R1. Please identify the criteria you would use to differentiate between correspondence you would delegate to your constituency assistant and correspondence to which you would respond personally.

R2. Please summarise how you would follow up a query from a constituent who previously called 311 to report a case of vandalism and who has now contacted you to ask why the vandalism has not been remediated.

Addressing Concerns:

A1. Please indicate how you would respond to a constituent's concern that the employees of a city department on whose services the constituent depends for day-to-day living are contemplating a labour disruption that would bring these services to a halt.

A2. Please articulate your position on how you would improve the connection of the western communities of the Beltline (that is, between 4 Street SW and 14 Street SW) to the CTrain system and to other modes of transportation across the CP Rail right of way into the downtown core.

Credibility:

C1. Please explain, in light of Calgary's recent land annexation, how you would reconcile the need to provide civic infrastructure to new communities on the city periphery with the need to maintain and enhance the social, environmental, and structural conditions of such inner-city communities as the Beltline.

C2. Please clarify where you stand on how Calgary's growth in population and international awareness over the past ten years affects its standing and its mandate for action on behalf of its citizenry relative to those of the provincial and federal governments.

Tiebreaker Questions, to be scored individually if needed:

T1. Please compare the relative merits of the existing strategy for planning and building the north-centre line of the CTrain system to those of constructing an underground LRT line beneath Centre Street.

T2. Please suggest a workable public safety strategy for residents of the city centre who have expressed concerns about openly illegal activities on commercial sites immediately adjoining critical locations within the public realm.

For your convenience, I [attached to the original message] an MS Excel workbook that includes both these questions and a description of the scoring system for your responses. As a matter of fairness, and in the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I maintain a blog in which I post occasional observations about life in the Beltline, the universe, and everything—I hope you’ll take a moment to visit it soon. Please note that your responses may well be posted here for the edification and amusement of my readers (both of them).

Thank you so much for your response to these questions. I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 5:36 AM
Calgreedian

^Well there's your problem. This isn't isn't a job interview for middle management. It's politics. What is right/most effective has absolutely no relevance to these people. All that matters is getting elected, and people don't vote based on the nitty gritty. Give us a good headline and some charming comments to Barb Higgins at 6 o'clock and we'll be smitten like a little girl who just found a kitten.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 5:40 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltliner View Post
Strategic voting? Strategic voting?

Arright, Josh, I'll give her one more shot at answering a few bloomin' simple questions--but only because of your interlocution on her behalf. If she doesn't take the hint, I'm a free agent. Deal?
I understand the disdain for strategic voting. I too don't really like it but sometimes I feel it necessary. Hey, I know several people on here, including my brother who took out conservative memberships in order to try and get Dinning in and to keep Morton out. He had to get drunk beforehand, but such is the unfortunate reality of politics.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 5:44 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
^Well there's your problem. This isn't isn't a job interview for middle management. It's politics. What is right/most effective has absolutely no relevance to these people. All that matters is getting elected, and people don't vote based on the nitty gritty. Give us a good headline and some charming comments to Barb Higgins at 6 o'clock and we'll be smitten like a little girl who just found a kitten.
I think many who go into municipal politics actually do care very deeply about the issues and communities. They definitely aren't doing it for the salary, and certainly not the horrible hours. To me, it seems like a hellish job.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:21 PM
Majestic

Candidate pledges 10 new recreation centres
Kim Guttormson, Calgary Herald
Published: Thursday, September 27, 2007

Alnoor Kassam would build a new recreation centre every year for a decade if elected mayor, he said Wednesday.

However, a major portion of the funding for his proposal hinges on a provincial program that ends in 2008-09.

And while $35 million is allocated to Calgary this year and next through the Alberta Lottery Fund, municipalities and community groups must apply to access the money.

Kassam's promise calls for construction of 10 recreation centres containing arenas. He would use money from the city's existing budget -- $10 million a year, which he says will be found through efficiencies.

"There's already some allocation (in the city budget)," Kassam said. "It seems to be hit and miss, and if you look at the current result in the last six years the mayor's been there, there's still a shortage (of recreation facilities)."

Kassam is hoping to unseat Dave Bronconnier as mayor.

The rest of the money -- it costs about $9 million just to build a stand-alone arena with a single sheet of ice -- would come from partnerships with developers, naming rights, money from other levels of government and funding through the Alberta Lottery Fund, Kassam said.

However, while Kassam's campaign said it could access up to half the cost through the Alberta Lottery Fund, the guidelines limit the province to paying for one-third of any project over $500,000.

Kassam's staff said the centres would be built on existing city land -- such as the joint-use sites developers must leave in new communities for fire halls and schools.

With its rapid growth, the city doesn't have enough indoor and outdoor recreation facilities to accommodate increasing demand. A study this year determined Calgary needs at least another 10 arenas over the next 10 years.

Jeremy Zhao, who is also running for mayor, said Kassam's promise seems too optimistic.

"I don't know how you can say you'll build a rec centre every year," the university student said. "I don't know how you get the money instantly and quickly enough to go ahead with it."

Bronconnier's camp wouldn't comment on Kassam's pledge, but Bronconnier will make his own announcement on funding recreation centres this morning at a Calgary Sport Council breakfast.

Kassam also promised to survey the state of city sports fields -- although the city has already begun a review. As well, the Calgary Sport Council is conducting a review of the needs of all sports groups in the city.

Kassam said the city does too many studies.

kguttormson@theherald.canwest.com

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:29 PM
Majestic

Growth outpaces services
Jamie Komarnicki, Calgary Herald

Today, the Herald begins its series of ward profiles, which outline the candidates and explore issues that make the communities distinct.

Today: Ward 1
Friday: Ward 2

- - -

Day and night, Duane Page hears cars revving recklessly down the street outside his Tuscany home.

Residents of the fast-growing northwest community were thrilled when their new elementary school opened this January, but they didn't anticipate the slew of speeders ignoring the school zone limits on their streets.

"We don't want to wait until somebody gets hurt before we do anything," said Page, who lives across from Tuscany Elementary School and launched a campaign, putting up signs and handing out flyers, urging drivers to slow down.

Page isn't the only one worried -- the local community association marks speeding as one of its top concerns.

But traffic woes are just one of the issues dogging the northwest corner of the city, which saw a huge influx of residents trekking to the suburbs in the past decade.

The area has seen continued growth, with nearly 14,000 new residents since the last civic election in 2004.

Work has begun on a massive project approved by council in April 2005 to widen Crowchild Trail and extend the northwest LRT to help ease transit in the area.

Newcomers looking to set down roots are grappling with the crunch for city services that comes with such rapid growth.

Transportation, schools and a regional leisure centre are some of the chief issues in Ward 1.

"Just getting adequate coverage across the whole area is an interesting challenge," said Calgary's longest serving alderman, Dale Hodges, who is seeking his ninth term representing the sweeping ward.

With 24 years as alderman on his resume, Hodges says he's a dependable voice for the ward and has insight into council's agenda.

He cruised to victory in 2004, easily outpacing lone challenger Normand Perrault, who is back on the ballot this year.

But after nearly a quarter of a century with the same representative, candidates Perrault, a retired general contractor, and Jennifer Banks, a social worker, are hoping to shake things up.

And not just in the suburbs. Coffee-shop talk in the communities centres around a slate of new issues in the ward's mixed bag of neighbourhoods, residents say.

Students clustered around the University of Calgary are struggling for housing in a city where vacancy rates hover below one per cent -- and city council is deadlocked on legalizing secondary suites.

And a business renaissance is creating buzz in historic Bowness, the independent area annexed by Calgary in 1963, as locals lobby to brand the neighbourhood as a mountain town within the big city.

In the past five years, Alex Solano, owner of Salt & Pepper Mexican Restaurante, said he's watched several new businesses come and go on main street Bowness.

A community known more for crime than creativity in past decades, Bowness has seen young, professional couples moving into the neighbourhood, he said.

Unlike its newer counterparts in Ward 1, Bowness isn't lacking in schools and social services, but Solano says he's worried about resistance to the urban redevelopment that might block his neighbourhood's growth.

"There are really artistic, imaginative people who'd like to do something really cool in Bowness, but they're just getting, 'No, no, no, this is how we do it. It's the traditional way,' " said Solano, who added he'd like to see more commercial and residential mixed use and an easing of single-family residential zoning.

Despite the diversity of the ward, it's parents weary of carting children around to various sporting events across the city who have crafted the cause that all candidates are eager to champion: building a regional leisure centre in the northwest.

"I think people recognize that having a recreational centre in your community is a great way to meet your neighbours, to cut down your time transporting your kids around," Banks said.

Newer areas such as Tuscany are hit especially hard by the lack of a sports facility, Perrault said.

Suburban isolation has started setting in for some northwest residents longing for their own recreation centre.

But members of the Tuscany Community Association are holding their breath today, hoping for a promise from Hodges and Dave Bronconnier, who's running a mayoral re-election campaign, about the coveted facility.

"There's only one thing that I want to hear," said William Thompson, the association's president.

"Our hopes are that . . . they will announce funding for new recreational centres, because the northwest is sort of void as far as recreation centres, and that obviously they'll put us into a position to get a facility with that money."

Still, as the newer communities settle in, their young populations are growing as well, Thompson said. And that puts a whole host of new concerns -- middle schools and high schools, crime control, roads development -- on the wish list for the coming term, he said.

jkomarnicki@theherald.canwest.com

At a Glance: Ward 1

Candidates

- Jennifer Banks
Marital status: Lives with partner

- Dale Hodges
Marital status: Married, no kids

- Normand Perrault
Marital status: Divorced, three sons

Population: 89,576
Change since 2004: +13,951
Number of seniors (over 65): 8,169*
Number of children and youth (under 20): 21,264*
Number of occupied dwellings: 34,060
Home ownership: 26,423 (77.6 per cent)

Communities in ward: Bowness, Cougar Ridge, Crestmont, Greenwood- Greenbriar, Montgomery, Rocky Ridge, Royal Oak, Scenic Acres, Silver Springs, Tuscany, University Heights, University of Calgary, Valley Ridge and Varsity.

Source: 2007 Civic Census
* Based on 2006 numbers (some ward boundaries changed in 2007)

Online Extras
Visit our website for more civic election coverage, including more about Ward 1 and the opinions of the candidates running for alderman.

CalgaryHerald.com

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
This guy must be on crack if he thinks $10 million will buy a 'rec entre', unless he has very diferent ideas of what a rec centre is than the rest of us do. Last I heard, the new proposed rec entre in the NE (around Saddleridge) was originally budgeted at about $25-30 million a few years ago when it was first conceived and the latest estimates have it at about $125 mil, and it will have indoor soccer not hockey. Do these people think we are that gullable to believe.

To be fair, Bronco is not a whole lot better. He just announced he would build 3 new rec centres (NE, NW, and SE). As mentioned above, the NE centre is already under consideration by the city, and Dale Hodges told our community hockey association last winter that the NW centre is next and they have a tentative location picked out already. It would not surprise me if preliminary plans are already in place for the SE one too. It's a little misleading to tell people he will spearhead all these things when the city already has plans to go ahead with them regardless of who is mayor.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 11:12 PM
Calgreedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Growth outpaces services
Jamie Komarnicki, Calgary Herald
Maybe if the main road through Tuscany wasn't the size of a divided four lane freeway people wouldn't be so inclined to speed down the hills.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 1:04 AM
Majestic

Heh, indeed. When I still was driving, my friends and I would race down 162nd and James McKevitt, simply because those two roads are so damn wide! (Not to mention that the entire south is rather anti-pedestrian, so we never had to worry about people at 11:00PM) Stupid, but true.

The title "Growth outpaces services" makes me want to respond:

"Yeah? No shit."

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 1:24 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
=It's a little misleading to tell people he will spearhead all these things when the city already has plans to go ahead with them regardless of who is mayor.
I don't really think that this announcement has anything to do with the campaign, it just happened after the provincial funding agreement. I suppose that it's probobly beneficial to Bronco's campaign that it just happened to be during the campaign time, so yes, its probobly a bit mis leading. A few years down the road, I'll love the Northeast Centre of Community, it's about a two minute walk away from my house.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 4:34 AM
Construction Enthusiast

dp

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I don't really think that this announcement has anything to do with the campaign, it just happened after the provincial funding agreement. I suppose that it's probobly beneficial to Bronco's campaign that it just happened to be during the campaign time, so yes, its probobly a bit mis leading. A few years down the road, I'll love the Northeast Centre of Community, it's about a two minute walk away from my house.
Its a Campaign Announcement, since he has it on his campaign website Link

He has no power to make any plans of this nature without City Council, so he can' justifiably make announcements as 'Mayor' during an election unless it is on an issue which he is intrusted power by Council. An example of this was the ParkPlus announcement.

Do you think he really fought Stelmach to delay the deal until right before the election to get a deal with no strings? (He committed to funding affordable housing at the level of the strings that were the big issue)

He delayed the deal so he could announce all these things during the election campaign.

It is pretty simple politics, run against someone of another level of government, then spend spend spend during the election.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 5:35 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
Its a Campaign Announcement, since he has it on his campaign website Link

He has no power to make any plans of this nature without City Council, so he can' justifiably make announcements as 'Mayor' during an election unless it is on an issue which he is intrusted power by Council. An example of this was the ParkPlus announcement.

Do you think he really fought Stelmach to delay the deal until right before the election to get a deal with no strings? (He committed to funding affordable housing at the level of the strings that were the big issue)

He delayed the deal so he could announce all these things during the election campaign.

It is pretty simple politics, run against someone of another level of government, then spend spend spend during the election.
Sure, but like lubicon said, these rec centres were going to be built in the near future anyway, no matter who is elected mayor.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

What the sweet &^!@#& do marital status and number of children have to do with ANYTHING?

Just when I think I can take politics seriously again, the media trots out some more irrelevant personal details to remind me of why the whole process is such a farce. What is this, the 1950s? Why not report on what church the candidates go to; after all, I wouldn't want to vote for someone of the wrong faith.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy