HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
^ Iv'e never seen it in person, which totally sucks. It's probably more impressive in person. I really dislike the view of it from afar and from the ESB. The twins looked much better in pictures, their sheer size and unchanged shape. The tapering is a big poo.

From the ESB it looks like a rectangle. Like one of the original twins but in glass this time. There is no tapering.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 8:51 PM

Looks kinda cool. The real question is it going to go back to being America's Tallest building?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 9:05 PM

Libeskind was a fkn putz!!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 9:56 PM

that's not very important anymore. The old WTC towers weren't the tallest when they were destroyed and even if people don't consider 1 WTC's spire towards its height, just north on 57th Street a new tallest in America will be built. So either way, NYC will be getting the honor of America's tallest building back in the coming years.
but it's still up in the air whether or not this building will receive that title.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 10:27 PM
BANNED

I don't understand it when people say they would be afraid to work at this building or that they are surprised towers are being built there after what happened. If they built another WTC somewhere else in NYC then wouldn't people have the same fears? It's not like people are gonna say "Oh goodie, this new building is built on another site therefore it must not have the same risks that pertain to being in/around such a landmark." Plus if that is peoples mentality then shouldn't they be afraid of being around/in the White House, Golden gate bridge, Lincoln Memorial, Willis/Sears Tower, The Chrysler building, Statue of Liberty, UN building, Stock Exchange, Federal hall building, Flatiron building, Times square, Woolworth building, John Hancock, Aon building, Trump tower, Yankee stadium,Lincoln tunnel, Citigroup centre, Metlife building, the list goes on. Might as well live in a shell your whole life....

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 12:23 AM
Come As You Are

When I was in Times square in 2010 the day before a car bomb failed to explode, I felt no fear. Still, such a thing is becoming even more rare, and the chance of another attack is nearly nonexistant.

It would probably be safer to be in this tower in the case of a bomb than to be outside at the base!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 6:13 AM

Hi, here's a controversy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
You are confusing what I just said. I am saying the new observation deck erases history by not having anything similar to the old observation deck in the South Tower.
Hi, I'm a newcomer here, but been watching this thread about two years ago.

I agree on Roadcruiser1's opinion, and even want to go a further step. Twin Towers are not like people, a dead person shouldn't be resurrected, but buildings can be rebuilt back.

What if Emipre State Building were taken down on that rueful day instead of South Tower? Should people replace 1930s art deco style Empire State Building with a fancy, 2010's glassy deconstructivist building? Saying that "Oh well, Empire State is dead and we should not cling to the past" ?

Twin Towers did not retire of old age. In that case we should not cling to the past. However, they were assassinated by terrorists. Now the very terrorist is dead, and they have the reason to be rebuilt.

1970's Twin Towers represent Le Corbusier's essence of international style. Speaking of the memorial, we should respect what was lost by bringing them into surface, not burying them into a grave, or an underground museum.

Of course, the new museum didn't like the Sphere much, which is the most daring symbol of surviving and hope, and trashed it into Battery Park. Perhaps they are 'terrorized' and want to 'not memorize' the past! How ironical.

I think most people are simply "rationalizers". They simply affirm the reality, they rationalize what is happening. They bash what is not gonna happen. (which is rebuilding Twins, or building a twin replica of 1WTC)

Had the Port Authority and Silverstein decided to officially rebuild Twins, then those rationalizing peole would have rationalized that decision and would've said it's the best decision ever, and say erecting a different building other than Twins a horrible idea.

p.s. I DO love 1WTC, only because it 'somehow' resembles the old.

Last edited by Arthurmiles; Apr 6, 2013 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 2:52 PM

The Concept of Twin Towers in NYC

Not sure if it's been covered here or not but y'all have probably discussed it before but anyway. Just had some questions on the possibility of new Twin Towers in NYC. For me, I really supported the idea from the start and always believed it should of happened. But the chances are it wont be built and I get that. I mean, would there even be a small chance of new Twin Towers being built on the current site or more importantly anywhere else in NYC for that matter. I was thinking Battery Park perhaps? There only apartment buildings I suppose, of course this would need to be built when the is need for office space.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli96 View Post
Not sure if it's been covered here or not but y'all have probably discussed it before but anyway. Just had some questions on the possibility of new Twin Towers in NYC. For me, I really supported the idea from the start and always believed it should of happened. But the chances are it wont be built and I get that. I mean, would there even be a small chance of new Twin Towers being built on the current site or more importantly anywhere else in NYC for that matter. I was thinking Battery Park perhaps? There only apartment buildings I suppose, of course this would need to be built when the is need for office space.
What you want is also what an overwhelming majority of Americans wanted. What we got is a smaller, timid design. Unfortunately this battle has been lost. However, private real estate moguls are rekindling the visionary spirit of the WTC and ESB in NYC.

Now I'm looking to boundaries being pushed by 432, one 57 and the Nordstrom Tower. While the government and Silverstein are playing it safe.. these buildings are putting America back on the map as far as bold sky scraper construction.

People say NYC and America won't have the tallest building again.. and that Asia and the Middle East are engaged in a pointless contest for height. That doesn't take into account that the ESB was built during a time it had no hope of making money. Visions are a long term investment for the future. We can do it.. we just have to have the will.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:26 PM

I'm not a fan. The original towers were visions that were the tallest in the world when built.
These buildings weren't visions... They're timid and actually have less office space.
America missed an opportunity to build an enduring statement.
Don't let people fool you by saying it was about money. 1 WTC cost more than 2.5 Burj Kalifa's. Even with higher labor standards we easily could have built mega tall twins here.. and with good rent deals they would have been occupied.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
^ Iv'e never seen it in person, which totally sucks. It's probably more impressive in person. I really dislike the view of it from afar and from the ESB. The twins looked much better in pictures
I always find these types of arguments rather silly. You're comparing the Twins in their prime to the new WTC during it's early years. For tall buildings like these it takes time for them to start to blend in with the skyline and truly fit.

A more accurate comparison would be to this:

(skyscraper.org)

And to be honest, that barely blends in either.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

No chance, no way.

Unless you live in the mind of TalB.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:42 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towersteve View Post
What you want is also what an overwhelming majority of Americans wanted. What we got is a smaller, timid design. Unfortunately this battle has been lost. However, private real estate moguls are rekindling the visionary spirit of the WTC and ESB in NYC.

Now I'm looking to boundaries being pushed by 432, one 57 and the Nordstrom Tower. While the government and Silverstein are playing it safe.. these buildings are putting America back on the map as far as bold sky scraper construction.

People say NYC and America won't have the tallest building again.. and that Asia and the Middle East are engaged in a pointless contest for height. That doesn't take into account that the ESB was built during a time it had no hope of making money. Visions are a long term investment for the future. We can do it.. we just have to have the will.
NYC will never have the tallest building again...but that's not due to some lack of drive or will from developers....it's the law (more or less).

Currently due to FAA restrictions to prevent a structure from being a 'hazard to air navigation' you cannot build anything taller then 2,000 ft....and the Burj Khalifa is 2,722 ft to the tip.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 7:43 PM
BANNED

^ The WFC was purposefully designed to enhance the look of the old WTC. The new WTC looks like dubai moved in and clashes horribly with the existing structures in Lower Manhattan (in pics at least). Lower Manhattan is already very dense and the chances of building anything that would change or enhance the way this new complex looks in slim. At least until the old buildings age beyond repair and something new is forced to be built.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 7:52 PM

It's lower Manhattan, something will be inevitably built either in our lifetime or someone elses that will change it's skyline dramatically and most likely compliment the new trade center aswell.

Oh, and saying that the new complex "Clashes horribly with the exsisting structures" is a pretty silly criticism aswell considering the twins were exacly like that when they were first built too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 8:06 PM
BANNED

^The difference is when the WTC was built everything around it was built to enhance the way it looked.
The New WTC is built around the existing structures that enhanced the WTC. The New WTC looks nothing like the old WTC. So yes the New WTC will clash with the existing structures for a very very long time.

Compliment it from where? There is no space.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 8:10 PM

The scale of the recent tallest buildings is insane and they're still getting built taller and taller.

Burj Khafalia is about twice as tall as the old wtc and who knows how long even that will be the tallest.

I don't think it's really worth it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 8:14 PM

When the old WTC was built all the surrounding buildings were built to compliment the Woolworth building.

And where could anything possibily have complimented the twins? There was no space, right?

So, what's your point again?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 1:48 PM
BANNED

^ Maybe that huge complex of buildings that is the World Financial Centre.

All of which was built in front of this. So that space!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 2:17 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture