HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
Has the MTO posted any preliminary plans for thinning the highway through Dorion? I'm looking at a house out there but can't help wondering where the highway might eventually run. I know that actual construction on that stretch is probably quite a few years off still.
I think it follows the current ROW, or very close to, so long as you are referring to somewhere right near the 'town' centre. I believe the MTO purchased the gas station/general store that had the big murals painted on it and had it demolished for highway expansion. That building of course stood next to the existing highway. I'm sure a call to the MTO could get you more exact details, especially if you can give them a description of the property you are looking at and a reason for asking. Construction might be closer than you think. The current property owner is also obligated to reveal if the property will be affected on the disclosure that must be filled out when the house is listed.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
There was a route identified in the 90s, but I haven't seen any updates on that section. Look into the East-West Tie upgrade; I suspect that will happen before highway twinning around Dorion.
I suspect as much as well. Twinning of the highway through Dorion is a far way away, even if the MTO has bought up the buildings along the highway. As an aside the building with the murals is still standing while the motel, which suffered a fire a few years back, is knocked down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
I think it follows the current ROW, or very close to, so long as you are referring to somewhere right near the 'town' centre. I believe the MTO purchased the gas station/general store that had the big murals painted on it and had it demolished for highway expansion. That building of course stood next to the existing highway. I'm sure a call to the MTO could get you more exact details, especially if you can give them a description of the property you are looking at and a reason for asking. Construction might be closer than you think. The current property owner is also obligated to reveal if the property will be affected on the disclosure that must be filled out when the house is listed.
I'm not worried about the land that I am looking at being appropriated or construction hindering my enjoyment of the land or view or any such thing. The seller did disclose what they knew before we put in our offer. I was more looking for a general idea if anyone here had an image or such squirreled away.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 3:52 AM

twinning of that part of the highway isn't that far away, MTO is trying to get the highway twinned between TB and Nipigon. While the stretch around Dorion is probably going to be the last stretch done, I wouldn't be surprised if it was under construction by the end of the decade.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
twinning of that part of the highway isn't that far away, MTO is trying to get the highway twinned between TB and Nipigon. While the stretch around Dorion is probably going to be the last stretch done, I wouldn't be surprised if it was under construction by the end of the decade.
Considering that I've been hearing about the twinning of this highway for over 25 years I'm not so optimistic that the whole stretch will be twinned within the decade. The next 4 or 5 years will get them to Pass Lake or a short distance past. On the other end finishing the bridge at Nipigon still leaves the stretch through Nipigon and the turnoff there, not to mention the Red Rock turn off, Hurkett and all of the homes and farms that still hug the highway through that stretch. Have they even twinned the KOA hill yet?

I understand the piecemeal approach and I agree that Dorion is probably one of the last places to complete but a decade is probably too optimistic Imo.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
On the other end finishing the bridge at Nipigon still leaves the stretch through Nipigon and the turnoff there, not to mention the Red Rock turn off, Hurkett and all of the homes and farms that still hug the highway through that stretch. Have they even twinned the KOA hill yet?
It's really hard to get a complete picture with the way the various projects were announced; the sections were not announced or sequenced in order. So far as I can tell, Thunder Bay to Pass Lake should be continuous by the end of this year. Pass Lake to Pearl Creek was promised before the last election, as was Black Sturgeon River to Nipigon, though I can't tell if that's continuous.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 1:51 AM

I believe at the current time, four-laning has been completed, is under construction, or contracts awarded for the stretches of 11/17 between Thunder Bay and Loon, and from Red Rock to the junction of Hwy. 11 and Hwy. 17 (including the Nipigon River bridge of course). If I am correct, this represents roughly half the highway between Thunder Bay and Nipigon.

It is not too difficult to believe, if the momentum continues, that the entire stretch could be four-laned, or in the process of being four-laned, by the end of this decade. Four-laning started in 2009 afterall, so we are close to half way in just over half a decade. The current gov't just received another mandate, which will allow them to govern until 2018. Politics shouldn't stop the construction any time soon, budgetary restraints could be an issue though due to Ontario's deficits and debt level.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 12:11 AM
I am a typical

Even with a debt, expanding infrastructure is rarely a waste of money. A lot of truck traffic has moved stateside in recent years, and an upgraded highway through Northern Ontario could bring some back. Not sure if all that investment is worth the benefit of having a few more truck stops, though.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 1:35 AM

I 100% agree, but Queen's Park has historically retreated from the hinterlands of the province, and only invested in the GTA when times get tough. It has a lot more to do with the economy than generating a couple truck stops. Canada is the only G8 country, and one of the few developed countries without a national highway system. I am a firm believer that when it comes to the economy, one of governments' most important roles is to ensure good multi-modal infrastructure is in place. Business will follow. Government doesn't need to grant multi-nationals millions of taxpayer dollars to set up shop, just set the country up for them to do business efficiently and productively.

========

The Wacky Wings proposal for the former P.A. Prosvita is to go before council Monday. The proposal would see extensive renovations to the building, including addition of a family gaming area, bar, and restaurant. Should pass without too much trouble, and hopefully construction will begin this year.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 4:49 AM
BANNED

The problem is that building highways in Northern Ontario is a costly endevour.

From the MB border to Sudbury(the closest 400 series highway connection), highway 17 is over 1500km long. It's entire length is over 1900km. Of that, only around 100km is divided.

Now, in Southern Ontario, or on the Prairies or most of the USA you do not have the hard rock of granite to blast through.

We are talking in the neighbourhood of $10 Billion to do it.
http://www.thepixelwarehouse.com/69_...tionPlan_e.pdf

It would be hard to convince the various levels of government to spend that much money up in Northern Ontario.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 4:01 PM

Given the Thunder Bay is looking to be more pedestrian friendly what 10 places would you put a designated crosswalk? These would be proper crosswalks and not new traffic light crosswalk (such as those at PACI, Courthouse, and Balmoral by the Tower). Those two same lights don't need to be included as they should be replaced anyways.

My list:
Memorial (in the vicinity of Ontario st)
Memorial (at Hill St)
Fort William Rd (at Leon's)
May (Beer Store)
Junot (the corner to link pedestrian corridors)
Junot (at the Boys and Girls club)
Red River (at McDonalds)
Arthur (at Leland)
Arthur (at Ford)
Syndicate (at the Subway)

There are others to be sure - I can think of two places on Simpson for instance.
What are your thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 1:47 AM

-James at Vale to access Kinsmen Centre and greenspace from residential area east of James
-somewhere along Hodder Ave., probably where the crossing guard shack is now
-a couple should have been incorporated into the rebuild of Golf Links/Junot Ave., especially around River Terrace and George Burke Park

=========

Heard today that three twelve-plexes are going to be built on the former Shaw Bakery site (Algoma St. at Cornwall, just north of John St). Probably sooner than later, I am thinking construction will begin this season. Knowing who is behind the project, it is definitely happening, not just a proposal. This will give the Bay & Algoma area another good shot in the arm as it continues to develop and evolve.

Wacky Wings' proposal for the P.A. Pros building was of course approved unanimously by council. Six months of construction and renovation are required. Not sure on a start date, but the company is ambitious to get into Thunder Bay.

Hearing that another restaurant is opening in P.A. at Bay and Machar. Renovations are on-going at the moment. I am not sure which building yet myself. Also on the restaurant scene, apparently Thunder Bay's new Tony Roma's location has gone to tender. It will be located in the former Swiss Chalet location on Memorial Ave.

Balmoral Park Acura is looking at extensively renovating and putting on a couple additions on to their dealership. Again, at the pricing stage currently.

Nice after quite a lull in construction activity that things are starting to pick up again if the last few days are any indication.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 11:25 PM

Apparently Costco is now a definite go for Thunder Bay, and the company is in development stage for a new store locally. I am hearing this from within the company, so there is not much more accurate source of information than that! No idea on timelines yet though.

The new Tim Horton location for the south core is also out for pricing. It will be located on May St., somewhere near the government building and Paterson Park. I am thinking in some of the empty land north of the two aforementioned landmarks.

The new Carpenter's Union hall is also out for pricing. It will be built in Innova Park from all indications.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Hearing that another restaurant is opening in P.A. at Bay and Machar. Renovations are on-going at the moment. I am not sure which building yet myself.
Southeast corner, in the Portobello building, to be named Nook.

Quote:
The new Tim Horton location for the south core is also out for pricing. It will be located on May St., somewhere near the government building and Paterson Park. I am thinking in some of the empty land north of the two aforementioned landmarks.
I'm under the impression the two lots on the west side have some environmental issues from previous uses.

Renaissance Cafe opened today at the corner of Brodie and Victoria, directly across from Newfie's. Coffee options in that area are increasing dramatically!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:40 AM

Another relic in Port Arthur is going to be undergoing complete renovation and restoration from what I hear. The former Furniture Recycle (near Cumberland and Park) is going to be transformed into office space.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 1:18 PM

Rumblings of a couple other buildings going up this season in Thunder Bay. One in the area of Main St. and Island Dr., and another new building for Innova (in addition to the Carpenters Union and Costco). Yes, Costco is a definite for Innova if what I am being told is correct. Their new store is going to take up a large chunk of Innova, between the store and necessary parking.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:06 AM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:33 PM

The Gap is going to build a new store at the Thunder Centre. It will be located next to the ToysRUs stores. I believe a second building may also be going up there this summer. This will essentially complete the Thunder Centre development. All lots will finally be developed.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 6:06 PM

Equipment is working at the site of the new Hampton Inn at Highway 61 and Arthur St.

Earth is also being turned for the new Grid Link shop and offices next to the Manitoulin Transport facility on Main St.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 9:09 PM
I am a typical

The expansion to NWCHC goes to tender sometime this week or next, construction will start in the fall. They will be roughly doubling the size of the building, and it will expand onto what was its original parking lot.

Famous Shoe will be closing permanently soon, the wife of the former owner still lives there so there is still no word on whether or not the clinic will take up that land as well. It's eaten up quite a bit of the area in recent years.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The expansion to NWCHC goes to tender sometime this week or next, construction will start in the fall. They will be roughly doubling the size of the building, and it will expand onto what was its original parking lot.

Famous Shoe will be closing permanently soon, the wife of the former owner still lives there so there is still no word on whether or not the clinic will take up that land as well. It's eaten up quite a bit of the area in recent years.
About time this one gets going. Was only announced two years ago that the expansion would be happening. I understand design work has to happen, but two years later the cost of materials has probably increased 10% (most due to the falling Loonie, and with inflation as well).

I see the Prosvita will be staying put though (not as a Prosvita, but for another use). I thought it had been condemned, but it looks as though someone is trying to save it. It is now being leased out. Perhaps on speculation that the enlarged clinic will bring more life to the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario