HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
Still a lot of coal in the grid.

Yeah, and the province has a plan to green the grid for the entire province.

How much will this community pay for extra tonnes of CO2 reduction (on top of the district energy system and possible geothermal)?

Is there a reason to do this beyond having a few discovery channel documentaries and a couple hits from science viral news sources a year? Especially if what makes it net zero is a solar field outside of the community — if that is the case I propose the solar field to go in Morocco.

Reducing CO2 is great. Going to extremes isn't.

This was proposed in concert/parallel with the Expo bid, which would have given another cost centre to pay for some of this infrastructure, and provided a neat theme for the fair. Is there still a reason to do this?

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:38 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Blatchford and downtown district energy plans on target

Blatchford and downtown district energy plans on target
City councilors were talking ‘green’ energy at executive committee with two district energy projects. At Blatchford, the city confirms there is private sector interest to supply heating and cooling on the 550 acre site. The next step is being taken with a “Request for Information” on attracting a renewable energy provider, something Coun. Bev Esslinger is pleased to see.

“This really allows us to keep on track and to again remind us that we have not compromised any of the principles of Blatchford and we are moving forward with a very dynamic development that we are all going to be very proud of. It’s going to honour our sustainability goals.”

Downtown with Enmax and Epcor working together, progress is being made to have a common system linked up to the buildings in the Ice District. City branch manager Walter Trocenko said the Edmonton Tower, which opens this fall has boilers in place, however the office tower for city staff can be hooked up to the system once it’s developed.

“The rest of the buildings in the district are district energy ready. What we want to do now is intercept the final procurement of the boilers for the hotel, and for the Stantec Tower and work with the Katz Group in a way that will see the city benefiting from an early sign up of increased load.”

The city decided to front load its effort to create the district energy system in the five years of planning that has gone on. Having the Ice District become a partner would make it closer to break even Trocenko said. “There is a desire on the part of all parties that were involved in discussion to see this move forward and they are placing procurement of boilers on hold so that they can have further discussions with Enmax. If those discussions are positive, that increased load that would be secured would bring the gap from $9 million to zero.”

They’ve also been in discussion with the board of the Winspear and its expansion plans. “Their commitment is to make sure that the expansion does happen the first phase district energy hub will be on the roof of the parkade,” Trocenko told executive committee. “If for what ever reason they don’t secure the funding necessary to proceed with the expansion, they’ve made a committeemen to allow for a district energy hub below grade on that site and that commitment allows the detailed engineering to proceed because we have a confirmed location.”

The full city council still has to vote on the district energy plans next week.
http://www.630ched.com/2016/07/06/bl...ans-on-target/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:23 PM
Community Guy

David Staples: Better to go slow and get Blatchford right

DAVID STAPLES, EDMONTON JOURNAL

There’s been no end of complaining that the fantastic vision to build a greentopia neighbourhood on the old Blatchford airport lands has been gutted and disrespected, but that’s not how Kim Krushell sees it.

Krushell, a former city councillor now running a tech startup company, sits on Blatchford redevelopment’s business advisory group. It regularly goes over proposals for city-led projects and gives city administrators hell whenever it sees something that doesn’t make sense.

Krushell dearly wants to see Blatchford succeed. She was a key figure in voting to shut and redevelop the old airport. But she’s not worried it’s taking so long to proceed. “I’d rather have delay and get it right than rush to do something and get it wrong,” she says.

If there was one mistake with the project, it’s that council was far too optimistic at the start, says Krushell. “I was naive. When we first started looking at this I thought there were all these new technologies out there and you just had to go pick them, and it turns out it’s not quite the way I thought it was … It’s not that simple.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...atchford-right

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 2:26 PM
Community Guy

On July 11, the City of Edmonton began the next step in the construction process that will prepare the Blatchford site for the first stage of residential development.

The latest construction work involves the installation of select portions of the storm and sanitary service connections, including:

Construction of inlets and outlets for the first of the two stormwater ponds.

Construction of a storm sewer line to drain the stormwater pond.

Construction of a sanitary sewer line to eventually link stage one to existing sewer lines outside of the Blatchford site.

Building deconstruction (where the buildings are being slowly taken down with materials sorted to maximize recycling and reuse) also continues at the site. Starting later this year, runway materials will be crushed on site in preparation for future road construction.
Bold community energy goals

Over the last several years the Blatchford office has been designing a district energy sharing system as part of the solution to achieve Council’s vision for a carbon neutral, 100 per cent renewable energy community. Recently, a number of private companies have expressed interest in partnering with the City to develop a renewable energy utility to meet this exciting and ambitious goal.

On July 12, City Council approved a motion to further investigate the potential partnership opportunities with private industry. Work on this plan is underway with an update report scheduled to go back to City Council Executive Committee in October 2016.

What’s next? Once a community energy strategy is determined, the City of Edmonton will:

Complete underground utility construction and will begin surface construction (roads, sidewalks and public spaces) for the first stage of residential on the west side of the site. A section of the park will also be constructed at the same time.

Begin the builder selection process. Homebuilders will be selected through a competitive process to ensure the builders that are chosen align with Blatchford’s vision and high environmental and architectural goals. Once these fully serviced serviced parcels of land are sold to homebuilders, they will begin residential construction and sales to homebuyers.

Edmonton.ca

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:12 PM

^
someone needs to get someone to proofread their media releases.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:24 PM

why why ever ever would would you you say that Ken?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 9:01 PM
Community Guy

Plans for first residential phase in Blatchford unveiled
August 15, 2016

Media are invited to join Mayor Don Iveson and Councillor Bev Esslinger as they unveil the detailed neighbourhood map and new renderings for the first residential stage and park in Blatchford.

Date: August 16, 2016
Time: 12:30 p.m.

Media Contact:
Cheryl Mitchell
Communications Advisor
Communications and Public Engagement, City of Edmonton
780-944-0511

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 11:31 PM

Not sure I want to see this ... there is a better than 90% of another fuck up by the City.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Not sure I want to see this ... there is a better than 90% of another fuck up by the City.

I dunno. The COE has taken huge heat in the last couple of years about this project. They might have learned a thing or 3.

But I swear...if 1 in every 5 streets are flooded for ice skating in the winter all will be lost Insert sarcasm here.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:03 AM

I just want the lake back. A real lake, not a storm pond.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I just want the lake back. A real lake, not a storm pond.
This is Edmonton !! and Council want us to have third best solutions.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
City releases plans for first residential phase in Blatchford

August 16, 2016

The City of Edmonton has released the detailed plan and new renderings for the first residential stage and section of park in Blatchford. The completion of the stage one plan is another significant milestone in the land development process, and takes the City of Edmonton one step closer to building one of the world’s largest sustainable communities.

“In addition to our high environmental goals, City Council’s vision for Blatchford has always been to create a walkable neighbourhood with enhanced urban design, family-oriented housing, urban agriculture, community amenities and significant green space,” says Mayor Don Iveson. “The stage one map showcases how purposeful and deliberate design of these elements are being incorporated to provide residents with a great quality of life.”

The first residential stage, located on the west side of the site, will see approximately 250 townhomes and low to mid-rise condos and apartments built. The homebuilder selection process for this stage will take place after Council’s decision on an energy strategy for the community.

“Building for people has always been at the centre of the Blatchford vision,” says Councillor Bev Esslinger. “We are building a neighbourhood where urban design will allow people to conveniently live a more sustainable, active, community based lifestyle. Residents will be able to easily reduce their energy consumption because the community has been designed using sustainable urban design principles.”

Some of the elements being built into the first stage include:

Incorporation of heritage elements like street names, recycled runway benches and heritage features to honour the historical aviation significance of the site.
Separated bike lanes and a pedestrian and cycle route to the LRT station.
Urban gardens and fruit orchards with rainwater collection systems for watering.
Community gathering places including a summer event/winter skating area, a community fire pit and warming hut, and a children’s playground.
Enhanced and innovative landscaping features like tree planting cells, landscaped laneways, and treed boulevards.
An updated website with additional community information has also been created (BlatchfordEdmonton.ca). Construction work continues at the site including underground utility work and building removal and remediation. A report detailing the development of the renewable energy utility that will help Blatchford achieve its visionary goal of carbon neutrality and use of 100% renewable energy is due back to City Council later this year.
New website up http://blatchfordedmonton.ca/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 7:02 PM
Community Guy

Encouraging, but sustainability is still TBD.

http://blatchfordedmonton.ca

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 7:07 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 7:09 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 10:12 PM

I'm still kinda underwhelmed by this.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:48 AM

City administration needs to be tar and feathered.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:24 AM

Wheres the Jet ski launch.
]
http://blatchfordedmonton.ca/wp-cont...hford-Park.jpg

I reserving my opinion until this first phase is complete.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:34 AM

nope. Don't like it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton