HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

The Ward Heater Company, 1931

USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/45995/rec/32

today

GSV
Very cool discovery FlyingWedge. What do you think the thing on top represented? A stylized water-heater?
__

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
Yes, the Masonic Temple is elusive to find photos. I used to HAVE TO GO with my parents to their Masonic meetings and wait for them. We used to park by the Herald Express building and walk over to the Temple. I remember sitting in the library on the second floor looking out and down at the Kelly Kar Ko. across the street. I could look down on the wires for the street cars which would spark sometimes when a street car passed. In the basement was a Ballroom Dance business, I would peep in on them from time to time. Next door was a Pool Hall where I would go and buy a candy bar, nobody ever bothered me there. The elevator was manually operated and they had a man doing that during meetings or you took the stairs. Some of the lodge meeting rooms were plain but the Commandry Room was large with a pipe organ and stage. Sometimes they had entertainment other times it was lodge business. Their were rooms for large dinners which I still can remember, even faces of people that I knew. All Gone Now...
Fantastic memories Hollywood Graham. You actually transported me back in time for a few minutes.
I'm so glad you decided to share this with us.

__

Old Posted Today, 12:10 AM

1920....party time

Here is Joe Harper at the right. He gave an unusual party at his parent's home one night whilst they were away in Bakersfield.

He was the oldest son of former Los Angeles Mayor, Arthur Harper.

LATimes

Mayor Arthur Harper

LATimes

Here's a description of this party that attracted the local LA Purity Squad Police.

Here is a current 2010 Times blog report about the 1920 party. One wonders if the ''punch'' was spiked with Prohibition whiskey.

“Twenty Los Angeles men, some said to be prominent in social and business circles, were arrested last night by police at a stag party in the home of former Mayor Harper and were booked at the police station on the charge of social vagrancy.

“Seven of the men, including the host, Joseph Harper, 24 years old, are alleged by the officers making the raid to have been gowned in feminine apparel.”

After a few paragraphs, the paper says: “According to Police Sergeant Gifford and the officers of the ‘purity squad’ who conducted the raid, a degenerate orgy was in progress when they entered the house.”

The men were taken to jail as they were dressed, meaning that some of them spent the night in women’s clothing. Early the next morning, The Times says, the dresses were taken into evidence, so some of the men were given bathrobes and others draped themselves with jail blankets. Of the 16 arrested, four were released to the Navy (they were in uniform, The Times said) and eight were held in custody because they tested positive “for infectious disease.” And yes, their names or pseudonyms, addresses and occupations were published.

When asked about his son Joe, the former mayor said: “The only party he has given lately that I know of was given by him on Halloween night. His mother was present that night and among the guests during the evening, so I know nothing wrong took place.”

One of the sailors said: “I came in for my liberty and met a fellow at a downtown street corner. He asked me if I’d like to attend a nice party with dancing and girls and refreshments and said for me to bring some of my friends along.”

The Times said: “The sailors declare they did not know for a long time that the ‘girls’ were men and when they did learn of the fact, some thought it was just a good-natured masquerade ‘stunt.’ ”

March 30, 1920, Vice Raid A later story says: “All the men are charged with lewd and dissolute conduct. Seven were dressed as women and the police say their acts were such that the charges against them can be upheld in court.”

Police said that officers learned about the party several weeks ago. “Arrangements were made to have some of the officers in the house,” The Times said.

“The raiding officers in plain clothes gained entrance to the house and mixed with the strange guests. Several other officers climbed into the house by way of a rear window and concealed themselves beneath beds. After watching the ‘party’ for over two hours, whistles were blown and the raiding uniformed police rushed into the residence.”

Two months later the case was dismissed.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Today at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:17 AM

After reading CityBoyDoug's articles about the "purity squad", I came across this one from Feb 17, 1932. The last paragraph made me smile .

news.google.com

Old Posted Today, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

After reading CityBoyDoug's articles about the "purity squad", I came across this one from Feb 17, 1932. The last paragraph made me smile .

news.google.com
As a matter of fact, I believe it was this so-called Purity Campaign that spelled the end of Eltinge's career, because it more or less put the stopper on the type of act he did when he performed. In private life he was routinely masculine to all appearances, and he detested the overtly effeminate men who sometimes approached him. He despised wristwatches and the men who wore them; like many in those times he still held that only pocket watches were suitably manly. But it didn't matter how presentable his private persona was; he could no longer ply the trade that had made him famous.

(Based on a fairly recent book I read a few years ago, Underground L.A.. Author, date, and publisher forgotten.)

Old Posted Today, 4:05 AM

Julian Eltinge....played both sides of the isle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
As a matter of fact, I believe it was this so-called Purity Campaign that spelled the end of Eltinge's career, because it more or less put the stopper on the type of act he did when he performed. In private life he was routinely masculine to all appearances, and he detested the overtly effeminate men who sometimes approached him. He despised wristwatches and the men who wore them; like many in those times he still held that only pocket watches were suitably manly. But it didn't matter how presentable his private persona was; he could no longer ply the trade that had made him famous.

(Based on a fairly recent book I read a few years ago, Underground L.A.. Author, date, and publisher forgotten.)
TWS mentions Julian Eltinge. He was a very successful actor in Hollywood who played both male and female parts. He died at age 58.

We have interesting comments from Hoss, also.

Wiki

http://www.amazon.com/The-Undergroun...dp_ob_title_bk

Old Posted Today, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Very cool discovery FlyingWedge. What do you think the thing on top represented? A stylized water-heater?
__
1931:

previously posted by me

I just found this 1935 photo of the Ward building. The thing on top -- the pylon? -- could have been designed that way before it was known who the
tenant would be. But I suppose it might be a stylized flame. Metlox put a lot of neon on that building; over the door, in the windows, the lettering at the
base of the pylon and the vertical WARD lettering, plus it looks like there's some neon at the very top, too:

USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/76613/rec/5

1935 closer:

Sept 9, 1921 Southwest Builder and Contractor @ http://books.google.com/books?id=MZQ...ngeles&f=false

Old Posted Today, 9:33 AM

Some competition for the Ward Heater Company: this is the Ruud Heater Company at 911 S Grand in 1930. The building no longer stands.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Today, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hi Mr. W.:
This is a really cool model. I like the little lights...adds a lot of zest. You are very talented. Have you done other models?

Thank you, CityBoyDoug. I've been doing this about four years now and I've completed 6 different houses. I want to build the Hansel House in Carmel next.

Old Posted Today, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Plomb Tool Co. catalog 1948

another impressive design

ebay

back cover

ebay
__

More on the subject: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14576

http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/511....313276038.jpg

Old Posted Today, 3:23 PM

I didn't know Plomb Tools became Proto Tools.
__

originally posted by MichaelRyerson

Quote:
The Sons of the Revolution building surrounded by its neighbors.

August 18, 1933

I came across this interesting newspaper article earlier this morning.

August 1938

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thed...008/08/page/2/

I thought it would be fun quest to try and find a photograph (perhaps an aerial) that shows the house behind
the S.A.R. Headquarters on Hope Street.

I also wonder what "haunted house on Bunker Hill" Mrs. Tafe speaks of.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Today, 4:24 PM

Los Angeles

ebay

detail

I believe this is a Cord. Does anyone recognize the buildings?
__

Old Posted Today, 4:54 PM

Quote:

news.google.com
Enjoyed the two articles mentioning THE PURITY SQUAD!

By the way, the last paragraph of this Feb 17, 1932, article talks about a raid made in 1936. (Minority Report?)

Old Posted Today, 5:39 PM

At first, I thought this was a photograph of Central Market.

ebay

but the seller places it at 3rd Street and Central Avenue.

United States Post Office
Arcade Annex

3rd & Central puts it just north of the Arcade Depot.

www.bigmapblog.com

After a quick google search or two I found the Arcade Annex Post Office was only open from 1930 to 1940.

I also came across these letters postmarked from the Arcade annex.

http://www.postalhistory.com/results...E&searchtype=2

I'm including this one because of the dog.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Today, 7:24 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos