HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:54 AM

^ Toronto too. Canada hasn't hosted the Summer Olympics since 1976 and seems keen on hosting them once again. The city has bid numerous times and many are looking to see how the city handles the Pan Am Games next year to see if it could handle the Olympics.

But, there are two obstacles in Toronto's way, I think. The biggest is that Paris is bidding on the fact that it hosted the games 100 years prior and the IOC certainly does have a certain slant towards Europe. They also view the Americas as one market and thus, coming so soon after the 2016 games in Rio may hinder interest by the IOC.

On top of that, by 2024, nearly 30 years will have passed since the US has hosted the games and there seems to be mounting pressure to have the games hosted by an American city once again despite reluctance after Atlanta. The US is a major market that the IOC keeps ignoring and I think giving it to Toronto in 2024 could be making the US wait even longer for another shot at the Summer Olympics.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:14 AM

Quote:
LA film production down by 50 percent since 1996
Associated Press
January 15, 2014 11:03 AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) — When it comes to making feature films and television dramas, producers are increasingly seeking locations outside Los Angeles.

The Daily News (http://bit.ly/1iVX0NI ) cites a FilmLA report that finds feature filming in the area plummeted 50 percent from its peak in 1996. TV drama production is down 39 percent from its 2008 peak.

FilmLA is a nonprofit that facilitates film permits across Southern California. The report looks at 20 years of data.

Features and TV dramas are the highest-spending and most job-producing of the various types of film work. Their decline is blamed primarily on the 40-plus other states and foreign countries that lure producers with tax credits and other incentives.

Lower-value productions such as reality TV shows and still photo shoots are up 16 percent in the past six years.
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/la-film-pr...190320561.html

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:35 AM

Thanks for posting something w/o comment. Classy.

Frankly I think its a win for the audience and the craft when movies and television programs are set outside of LA, are actually filmed outside of LA. It makes it more authentic and interesting. LA will always be the center of the movie and television industry even if production is done elsewhere.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Struggling port and tourism industry? Huh??

"The Tonight Show" leaving Burbank for New York a big blow and challenge to its self-esteem? What??

Just the same, doomsayer talk that gets thrown around about LA every so often. This has been happening for the past 4 decades that I've been alive. We've bounced back from serial killers, civil unrest, earthquakes, recessions, etc.

On another note, what do you guys think of LA's quest to host a third Summer Olympics in 2024? Do you think it stands a chance?
I would hope not. It was true then but it's several times worse now especially when compared to other world cities - LA is the best city to live but the worst to visit. It's logistical nightmare for tourists. I see our multinodal city as a huge plus as a resident. But if you're a tourist visiting for the Olympics, the last thing you want to do is rent a car and even less so if it means having to navigate one of the most elaborate road systems on the planet. What you're left with is a relatively spartan rail system (for a city/metro of its size) that doesn't really get you to where you want to go (Disneyland, multiple beaches, Griffith Park, Dodger Stadium/Angel Stadium, StubHub Center, Pauley Pavilion, Rose Bowl) and a complicated bus system that most residents don't even understand.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:55 AM

By the time LA would get another Olympics, it will have a pretty decent rail system and probably a better bus system with bus lanes. Especially for the areas tourists are likely to state, visit, and attend sporting events.

But I'd rather LA get another crack at the World Cup final.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:25 AM

This report is gaining a lot of traction in the media, but it's not much more than an opinion piece. When the commission is made up of union leaders and city council members, the report is going to be structured in a way that looks out for their own political interests. I don't see it more than as a political maneuver to uphold the status quo and as something that works in their favor concerning power struggles with the mayor and other factions.

The real issue is the mayor's lack of power to make any significant change. That blame can be shared by the interests that make up this commission.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:37 PM
BANNED

San Diego has an exploratory committee for 2024 and looks like San Francisco is interested too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympics

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:36 PM

I should probably start a new thread, but what the hell.

From insidethegames:
Los Angeles 2024 promise "canvas to paint winning American bid" on as publish plans

April 25 - Details of Los Angeles' proposed bid to host the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics have been published, with Californian officials claiming it is a"canvas upon which to paint a custom-made, collaborative and winning American bid".

Los Angeles is one of seven cities - along with Boston, Dallas, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco and Washington DC - currently lobbying the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) to be put forward as the American candidate for 2024 as the country seeks to host the Summer Games for the first time since Atlanta 1996.

Under the proposals published today by Los Angeles there would be three main clusters with, at its heart, a primary cluster based in downtown LA containing 12 venues, hosting 19 sports, and potentially the Olympic Village and the International Broadcast Centre.

The main stadium would again be the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the centrepiece of the 1932 and 1984 Olympics.

The revitalised LA River forms the "spine" of the plan, officials from the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games (SCCOG) claim, with one of the two locations for the Olympic Village close to the river with the other downtown.

Officials also claim that 80 per cent of spectators will be connected to venues by public transport, even though they admit in their document that it is an "urban expanse suited to the automobile".

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympi...-publish-plans

Personally, I would rather Istanbul host the 2024 Olympics, or another year in my lifetime, I love that city. The US has hosted the Olympics more than any other country (4 winter, 4 summer), so I'd rather it doesn't host for a while.

But the idea of using the LA River intrigues me...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:42 PM

I'd love to see the US host the Summer Olympics again, as it hasn't done so since 1996 and unlike in Europe, where they seem to be giving the Olympics twice over to cities, the US still has a lot of large cities capable of hosting the Olympics but haven't been given the opportunity.

New York, Philly, Boston, DC, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, and Seattle are all contenders and I'd rather either of these cities get it before LA or Paris get it once again in 2024. I'd also love to see Toronto win the 2024 bid, or perhaps an African city (Joburg?).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 11:23 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

The IOC is controlled by a bunch of corrupt European bureaucrats, like FIFA. I would be amazed if the US is awarded an Olympics again in the next 25 years. Toronto is a possibility, if they play up the multicultural angle, plus its close to the US for the cash cow TV markets.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 12:29 AM

I thought I read somewhere that Toronto is not bidding for the 2024 Olympics. Mexico City is not bidding for the 2024 Olympics either, citing financial reasons.

The more I'm reading about LA's proposed bid, the more it seems intriguing to me, again, because I like the LA River aspect of it; I like the idea of building an Olympic Village near the LA River. It would revitalize the area, and it would meet the seemingly important IOC requirement of legacy.

I also like that all of the venues would be in LA County (except of course for the soccer prelims); what worked in 1984 wouldn't work now (when there were venues as far north as Lake Casitas in Ventura County, as far south as Fairbanks Ranch in San Diego County and as far east as Chino), at least as far as the IOC is concerned. They like a compact Olympics, and a brand-new Olympic Village (already-existing dorms at USC and UCLA, as was done for 1984, wouldn't fly with the IOC now, I don't think).

I read somewhere that when LA hosted the Olympics in 1984, it was the first city without any public rail transit to host a summer Olympics since Rome did in 1960. And back in 1984, it worked. LA's public transportation infrastructure is vastly improved from 1984, so I think an Olympics can be done in LA in 2024...

But wait, I still want Istanbul to host.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 2:25 AM

i'd rather wait till the 100th anniversary in 2032.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 2:40 AM

^^^ Agreed.... I'd rather wait until a later time.... I don't think giving LA 10 years is enough to get much done. I love my city don't get me wrong but the area around USC is embarrassing to be shown on every TV in the world right now, its getting cleaned up though but still needs more time, our transit system has greatly improved but still needs more work. The LA river idea fascinates me and this may be the way we finally get the dang river revamped as the plan was originally.. 2024 isn't enough time to make LA look any different than it did in the 80's. Now 2032 LA will be a greatly improved city for the world stage. Not to mention the upgrades and concourse construction still going on at LAX. hopefully will be done by than

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post

Frankly I think its a win for the audience and the craft when movies and television programs are set outside of LA, are actually filmed outside of LA. It makes it more authentic and interesting. LA will always be the center of the movie and television industry even if production is done elsewhere.

At this point the studios are run out of LA, the top guys still live there, the decisions are made from there, but they're filming elsewhere. No biggie. You still have those guys above the line.

Last edited by Xing; Apr 27, 2014 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post

Not really. The difference is that the quality of the production looks and feels more professional when shot in LA. The productions that shoot in Toronto are often terrible looking in terms of cinematography. Productions go to the state offering the most incentives regardless of where the story takes place. The settings will always be inauthentic. Famous cities like NY is an exception. NY can't fake other cities, so shows have to be set in NY to film there.

When California proposed the last tax incentives, if was extremely modest, but productions shot up that year dramatically as a result. Crews want to shoot in LA to the point that incentives don't have to be comparable, but the state has to give them something.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 5:07 PM

I really hope LA gets the 2024 Olympics. It would be a huge boost for the city and the catalyst that would change so many things. The LA River would be restored at a much quicker pace, new hotels and development would be sparked all over and public transit would certainly be improved at a much quicker pace. Plus Farmers Field, renovated Coliseum and new soccer stadium? Damn. That would massive. I cross my fingers and hope LA gets it.

LA ran two of the most successful Olympics ever, the third would be an even bigger hit. This is the perfect location for any sporting event, especially the Olympics. No other place compares.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I really hope LA gets the 2024 Olympics. It would be a huge boost for the city and the catalyst that would change so many things. The LA River would be restored at a much quicker pace, new hotels and development would be sparked all over and public transit would certainly be improved at a much quicker pace. Plus Farmers Field, renovated Coliseum and new soccer stadium? Damn. That would massive. I cross my fingers and hope LA gets it.

LA ran two of the most successful Olympics ever, the third would be an even bigger hit. This is the perfect location for any sporting event, especially the Olympics. No other place compares.
Doubtful any place in the US gets a summer Olympics for a long time.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Doubtful any place in the US gets a summer Olympics for a long time.
You're probably right, but it does. LA should be one of the top choices for sure.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
You're probably right, but it does. LA should be one of the top choices for sure.
Why should LA be a top choice before New York, Chicago, DC, or San Francisco? The US isn't like Europe where most of the major cities have hosted the games at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Not really. The difference is that the quality of the production looks and feels more professional when shot in LA. The productions that shoot in Toronto are often terrible looking in terms of cinematography. Productions go to the state offering the most incentives regardless of where the story takes place. The settings will always be inauthentic. Famous cities like NY is an exception. NY can't fake other cities, so shows have to be set in NY to film there.

When California proposed the last tax incentives, if was extremely modest, but productions shot up that year dramatically as a result. Crews want to shoot in LA to the point that incentives don't have to be comparable, but the state has to give them something.
WTF? Most movies and shows filmed in Canada by Hollywood still have the same Hollywood look to them that they would if they were shot in LA, SF, NYC, Atlanta, or Albuquerque.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Toyota To Move Its US Sales And Marketing Headquarters To Dallas from California, Offers Voluntary Exits

Toyota Motor Corp. (TYO:7203), as part of a companywide overhaul, is planning to move its sales and marketing headquarters to suburban Dallas from Torrance, Calif.

The company will restructure its marketing arm, which currently is based in Torrance in southern California, and houses about 5,300 employees, who are being offered a redundancy package under the reorganization that is set to begin Thursday. The move would put Toyota’s management closer to its operations that produce cars for the U.S. market and would reduce production costs. It is still unclear how many employees will be asked to move from the Torrance unit and how much time would elapse before the transition is complete.

http://www.ibtimes.com/toyota-move-i...-exits-1577001

5000+ lost jobs for California, mostly centered in LA area. Geez.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions