HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The number is a lot higher if you add up the total units destroyed. Those census numbers are hard to sort to because certain tracts are not entirely projects and therefore the losses are masked. For example, at one point 15,000 people lived in Cabrini Green alone. Obviously you are not going to see all 15,000 of those people leaving in the census tracts because parts of Cabrini have been redeveloped or lie in tracts that overlap with rapidly growing areas like River North or North/Clyborn.

Also, like I said above, I think we are probably also seeing residual losses from the late 1990's demolitions where people had been displaced, but took a few years to trickle out of the city.

All in all I think about one third to a half of the loss was probably related in some way or another to the destruction of the projects. The rest being middle class families leaving or poor families being squeezed out by Gentrification. Just look at East Garfield Park which had several tracts that grew significantly. The fringes of the old ghettos are being nibbled away by growth which also pushes some people out.
The Robert Taylor Homes had close to 30,000 residents. Henry Horner Homes had about 15,000 residents as well. Most are long gone. The replacement housing is only about 30% of what was there. I'm sure most took housing vouchers and split.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:45 PM
Never Dell

A lot of resort towns would have a market for apartments in the town center, or hotels.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions