HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:30 PM

My friend just moved to Denver. If I went I would most certainly do nothing but outdoorsy stuff. Coming from a big northeastern city I don't see myself getting much out of the central city or downtown.

I know a fair amount about electronic music, I haven't heard anything about Denver's electronic scene. But, Aaron knows more, so I would probably get the scoop on where these parties are and spend the rest of my time doing that.

Day = Nature
Night = Electronic

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:19 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

A few years ago I visited Denver and did nothing but stay in the city. My Dad had some event so I used his hotel room.

I don't remember where I ate or what I did. I just walked around downtown mostly Just want to reiterate the part about it being a nice city but having no "man i gotta go do that/go there" attraction. Which is okay.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:52 PM

Denver Resident

I have lived in central Denver since the early '90s. I own income properties in the area and work downtown at 16th Street and Broadway. I know the area very well.

Some observations:

- The Cherry Creek area is very over-rated. The mall is a mall, and the crowded shopping area to the north is expensive.

- Downtown is kinda nice, but don't expect much in the way of good retail on the 16th Street Mall. It's mostly fast food, chain stores, chain restaurants, etc. You can find some good restaurants.

- Bums are everywhere here. They sleep in parks, on the mall, etc.

- If you're in the U.S. illegally, Denver will welcome you!

- Avoid the cops if you can. They can do anything they want and they WILL get away with it.

- Lower Downtown is where all the bars and clubs are. It can get a little dicey when the bars close.

Denver feels like a medium-sized city with a good downtown. The pace is slow here, we lag more cosmopolitan areas by a few years, and that's a good thing. There are several up and coming neighborhoods, and locals try to make them sound cool by giving them trendy and hip names.

Denver is not a city you'll want to visit just to visit. People come here and see it before they go on to other places, or are on business.

It's not a bad place, and can keep you busy for a day or so.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:10 PM

I also live in Denver and agree with Chico Loco. It's a nice place to live and a decent place to visit paired with a mountain getaway. I think Denver is still pretty sleepy compared to the other major cities in the country but is rapidly changing.

With a fast growing economy in tech, finance and energy and one of the highest rates of in migration of people in their 20's it will be interesting to see how it continues to change. I think it will be less insular and the built environment will be denser but I worry housing prices that aren't keeping up with wages here will push many to suburban areas or completely out of Denver.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions