HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:52 PM

AUSTIN - 333 Guadalupe - The Hobby Building

Sale plan could make ‘terrible’ Hobby state office building a hot property

"The 35-year-old William P. Hobby state office building in downtown Austin needs a whopping $50 million in repairs to shore up decrepit plumbing, overhaul electrical systems and patch or replace various other dilapidated components — and that might not even address what some workers there contend is a serious rat infestation.

But it soon could be among the most-sought-after commercial real estate properties in the city....is in terrible shape but the city block it sits on is extremely valuable...The 1.75-acre full city block, which the state owns in addition to the building, is outside Capitol view corridors that restrict the heights of some downtown developments, making it potentially a prime location for an office skyscraper, high-rise apartment complex or towering mixed-use project if the building eventually is torn down."

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...g-hot-property

Ok...this could get interesting maybe the location of our first 1,000 foot tower!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:04 PM

Why is it most government buildings from that era are designed so poorly, with faulty utilities and cold architecture? It is just the 'low bidder' thing?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:11 PM
again

Actually, this building was originally developed as a commercial office building before the state purchased it after the real estate bust of the late 80s. The original name was Republic Plaza.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 9:18 PM

Plenty of buildings built in that era have held up well - One American Center and the brown buildings of the 80s boom. I suspect it's the State's lack of upkeep due to tight budgets. I'm all for tight budgets and saving tax payer money, but this is what happens.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 9:20 PM

The Bank of America Center from the 70s has held up very well. I think this is just a funding issue.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 9:56 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Plenty of buildings built in that era have held up well - One American Center and the brown buildings of the 80s boom. I suspect it's the State's lack of upkeep due to tight budgets. I'm all for tight budgets and saving tax payer money, but this is what happens.
In this case, aren't we glad it did? Gives them a reason to unload this monstrosity.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
The Bank of America Center from the 70s has held up very well. I think this is just a funding issue.
That's not a government building. Hines, or whoever owns & operates it has a vested interest in keeping things up to date and fresh. Gotta woo and keep tenants.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
In this case, aren't we glad it did? Gives them a reason to unload this monstrosity.
1000%

As I got more familiar with downtown a while back, I remember looking at that thing thinking... oh crap, a not-quite-old-enough State building sitting on a prime block in the middle of downtown with hideous 1980's post-Brutalist architecture, that won't be going anywhere anytime soon...

...and then I saw this post!

Last edited by zrx299; Mar 29, 2019 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 11:52 PM

Their latest move to fill in the fountain with concrete was a good thought. It looks cheap and hideous though. The building is 80's 'stay way from downtown after 5'ish.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:16 PM
again

https://austin.towers.net/downtown-a...lyn@towers.net
Quote:
Downtown Austin’s Least-Loved State Offices Could Be Bound for Auction

ADOLFO PESQUERA APRIL 18, 2019

The Texas Facilities Commission is sailing clear through the Texas Legislature with its plans to sell the Hobby Building state office complex at 333 Guadalupe Street. On Wednesday, the Texas Senate placed the acting legislation regarding the building’s sale, SB 1394, on its uncontested calendar. When the bill was first heard in committee on April 2, no one spoke in opposition.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 9:24 PM

The black & red glass tower part isn't all that bad to look at.

But that other part looks like the illegitimate 1980's love child of Brutalist & Adobe architects.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:50 AM

I think the worst part of the Hobby building is the complete lack of pedestrian engagement on all four sides of the building. I'm looking forward to a much better use of that block.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:05 AM

I kinda like the way the Hobby Building in all its 80s glory contrasts with all the blue glass of its neighbors and the faux historic look of Zaza and the Plaza Lofts. I would be sad if it ends up getting replaced with another generic blue glass box.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
I think the worst part of the Hobby building is the complete lack of pedestrian engagement on all four sides of the building. I'm looking forward to a much better use of that block.
I see skater engagement there pretty regularly. Does that count?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:52 PM

I had the chance to speak with employees from the Texas Dept. of Insurance about this building. I don't know if its common knowledge or anything, but they told me they're slated to move out of Hobby into the new buildings being constructed over at the capitol complex.

I suspect that gives a rough idea as to when this block would hit the market (2021-2023?), and it would conveniently line up with the 87th Texas Legislative Session if the legislature needs to sign off on something.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:04 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I had the chance to speak with employees from the Texas Dept. of Insurance about this building. I don't know if its common knowledge or anything, but they told me they're slated to move out of Hobby into the new buildings being constructed over at the capitol complex.

I suspect that gives a rough idea as to when this block would hit the market (2021-2023?), and it would conveniently line up with the 87th Texas Legislative Session if the legislature needs to sign off on something.
I think this is pretty public information. The redevelopment of the Capital Complex is designed to bring more density to that part of downtown (12th to 15th st area) where land is less valuable and then sell or lease out the States more valuable holdings.

I think it'll be a boon for downtown proper, and hopefully we can get some pedestrian engagement in the new Capital complex, but I'm not holding my breath there. It'll probably keep the "run away at 5" vibe.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin