HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...bixel-6th.html

Another angle of Bixel & 6th, the 648-unit project under construction near Good Sam in City West.

The worst projects are always surrounded by palm trees drawn into the renderings. You can almost tell how half-assed the project is by the number of palm trees.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
You know, I don't hate this building. It's a colorful mess but so what? It's across the street from a colorful county (?) building, 1111 Wilshire, and ugly Glo. Makes Palmer's Tuscan across the street look even worse.

I don't mind this at all. I know a lot of you simply cannot stand buildings with color and whimsy but c'mon now. It is not that bad.
You're oversimplifying.

Like colemonkee said, color and whimsy done correctly is fantastic. I doubt any of us would be here if we didn't have appreciation for great architecture that a bit of creativity and flair.

Unfortunately, too much of what we get is Bixel, 1111 Wilshire, Glo, Ava, Angelyne's Corvette, etc. None of these look good or have any lasting power. There is such thing as color and whimsy and awful taste.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 9:01 AM
Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Steel is too expensive for bldgs under 7 stories........hence the use of wood.
Thanks for admitting I was right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
The only reason they are using wood is because it is cheaper.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
But it's not a zero sum game and these are separate issues. Having a bad homeless situation does not mean we shouldn't demand higher quality architecture and design. They are not related in the slightest.
I think it's just important that the issue of design be placed in the full context of dt in general, of the hood's economic & social trends, of issues....or problems....overall that truly effect, & negatively, far more ppl or bother far more ppl.

It's obvious that ppl's tastes do vary quite widely, in ways that I wouldn't have thought possible some time ago. So there's the law of unintended consequences. Look at how the activists in the arts dist, presumably very fussy about good design....or at least design that fits their personal tastes....got the devlpr of the AMP apt proj to redo it. The ppl living around there apparently didn't like the original work, although I think the redesign is very disappointing & would have complained if the 2nd design was the 1st proposal, & then said it should be redone, & visa versa.

I remember your saying that you like the look & feel of the arts dist, but I'm fairly sure that just as much of the public will judge that part of dt as overly gritty & too rundown for their own tastes.

different strokes for different folks.

I've seen comments for several yrs from ppl who've stayed at the doubletree hotel in little tokyo, or the former new otani hotel. When guests have grumbled about the location, it always has involved the close proximity of skid row, of how lifeless the surrounding hood was at night....as definitely was the situation several yrs ago....or how they weren't sure about their personal safety.

I'm quite certain such guests at that hotel, or most of its guests in general, won't be saying that since the new ava apt bldg across the street has such poor architecture & bad colors....&, yes, I agree it does....they'll remember to book rooms at a hotel in another part of the city the next time they're in LA.

Quote:
As for the bldgs with racing stripes, I never said they were in bad taste. I just think they are unnecessary embellishments much like the ones that adorn TCA bldgs.

You have a habit of misrepresenting what I have posted. I would appreciate it if you would please stop. TIA.
I never said *you* said those bldgs were in poor taste.....I said that *I* think those bldgs reflect bad taste. however, I also assumed you posted those pics not to indicate your approval of the architecture, but to make another point.

coincidentally, the site of the large devlpt at 6th & bixel was filmed by someone & posted to youtube yesterday. btw, the palm trees shown in the artwork look like a type of palm that doesn't exist in LA. They look like coconut palms, which can survive in places like florida but are one of the few variety of palms that isn't suitable for our climate.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
First, I typically am not into a lot of color....esp primary colors. Secondly, I only have a couple of architectural courses under my belt. My taste in architecture has come from my fascination with the built form since I was a kid and certainly is not as refined and focused as those who have degrees in architecture. Thirdly, I believe really good architecture is a rarity; that most is fairly mundane. I celebrate the good stuff; can live with the mundane so long as it meets certain criteria, and I fight the bad stuff.

With those caveats in place, 6th and Bixel is fairly mundane with a nice regional twist to it. Frankly, it surprises me how fiercely some posters ding it. Colemonkee and you talk about whimsy. I am not sure what that means. What I know is that the bldg has a color palette that at least in my mind is very S. CA. It meets the street in the way I think a bldg should in an urban environment. It has an interesting mix of textures that seem to work together.........and despite all the color, doesn't come off particularly busy. Now we all have to remember its a render...........the actual product when completed may not look nearly as good as I think it looks now.

I vehemently don't like the one across from 6th and Bixel.......I think its 1111 Wilshire; Ava, and that long monstrosity that stretches for a block; I think its 8th and Hope. In addition, I know you all love this one but I think One Sante Fe, although not badly designed, is anti pedestrian and anti neighborhood.

Here are a couple of others I like that use color although more subtly than 6th and Bixel:

EDIT: my apologies.....I just realized you said strong color and all in S. CA. My examples are both in and outside S. CA. In addition, this is what's confusing to me.......I see primary colors, and not pastels, as strong colors.

Those are all pretty nice examples of the use of color. They are more restrained, with the bright colors used as accents, which seems right to me. Bixel and Ava have flipped that unfortunately. The eastern facing wall of AVA for example, is almost entirely a bright light blue.

I guess I was looking for vernacular socal architecture that makes use of color? I think the spanish influenced stuff (tans, orangeish), mid-century, craftsman bungalows (which even in their current flipped form use color but a more muted palette). None of which really use color like we're seeing lately.

Designs like this might seem great in a penciled rendering or fancy architectural watercolor, and suburban developers might buy into it more easily, but in reality they seem pretty garish to me and not particularly appropriate in an urban area like downtown. And sometimes ugly is just ugly, not matter where you drop it.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Those are all pretty nice examples of the use of color. They are more restrained, with the bright colors used as accents, which seems right to me. Bixel and Ava have flipped that unfortunately. The eastern facing wall of AVA for example, is almost entirely a bright light blue.
First, I think its important to remember that LA likes to experiment with color and design........on clothes, in movies, with bldgs and cars. Its a regional aspect like New Orleans is known for its Creole cooking and SF its trolley cars. I don't think that need to experiment is going to go away. LA has a large creative community of designers/architects. Its what they do.

Secondly, its normal to want architecture that is tasteful and classic like the bldgs I posted. They will endure over time. The bldg designs that take chances frequently do not. However, when they do, they become iconic.

Quote:
I guess I was looking for vernacular socal architecture that makes use of color? I think the spanish influenced stuff (tans, orangeish), mid-century, craftsman bungalows (which even in their current flipped form use color but a more muted palette). None of which really use color like we're seeing lately.
Here's some examples........the turquoise terra cotta bldgs.......Eastern Columbia and the Wiltern. I believe it was the Eastern Columbia when it opened that was met with considerable derision; that using the turquoise tile was pushing the art deco envelop way too far. And yet, today, Eastern Columbia is one of my favorite bldgs, one that I would go out of my way to show to friends when they came to town.

I am not suggesting that 6th and Bixel is on the same level as the Eastern Columbia bldg but I have to say I am quite surprised at the reaction to it. I think someone called it disgusting; another horrible. Those kinds of reactions seem excessive to me and make me wonder if expectations are set way too high.

Quote:
Designs like this might seem great in a penciled rendering or fancy architectural watercolor, and suburban developers might buy into it more easily, but in reality they seem pretty garish to me and not particularly appropriate in an urban area like downtown. And sometimes ugly is just ugly, not matter where you drop it.
I guess we will have to wait to see if it gets built, and if it does, what it looks like.

Last edited by alki; Yesterday at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 7:10 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^It's being built. The property is under site prep (excavation) as we speak.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
The worst projects are always surrounded by palm trees drawn into the renderings. You can almost tell how half-assed the project is by the number of palm trees.
Emerson college, vermont towers, and the wilshire grand all have palms and they are great projects.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^It's being built. The property is under site prep (excavation) as we speak.
I guess we'll know then in about 18 mos.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for admitting I was right:
Quote:
Quote:
The only reason they are using wood is because it is cheape
r.
You were right.......partly. Wood is cheaper than steel and that's why they use it. However, what they were using previously was concrete..........which, while slightly more expensive than wood [and much cheaper than steel], was a great insulator and good for sound proofing.......and long term, a deterrent to termites. Overall, it was a better construction material for apt bldgs and still is in regions that are not prone to earthquakes. However during earthquakes, concrete construction does not perform well. Wood performs much better which is the original point I was making.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I
I never said *you* said those bldgs were in poor taste.....I said that *I* think those bldgs reflect bad taste. however, I also assumed you posted those pics not to indicate your approval of the architecture, but to make another point.
That's right.........it was you, not me, that made the horrible comment. So let me just say to clear the record............I find the 'racing stripes' hardly in 'bad taste' nor 'horrible' as you suggest...........but rather unnecessary embellishments.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
God I hope not. Someone with good sense oughta know that connecting to El Pueblo/Union Station/Chinatown is infinitely more important for DTLA, Los Angeles, and the river than connecting to fucking Medici.
Agreed. While city west/westlake is and will be a great neighborhood in the next 10 years (depending on who you are), there are no cultural landmarks like there are north of the 101.

Old Posted Today, 12:18 AM

Can I get a tally of which buildings currently under construction or soon to break ground are slated to be condos?

Old Posted Today, 9:05 PM
Doctor Burncream

Well Metropolis is going to be completely condos aside from the 19 story 350 room hotel.

38 story - Roughly 300 condos
40 story - 510 condos
54 story - 740 condos

That's 1,550 units all in one project. I believe the Shy projects are intended to be condos right? Or is that just the 38 story SB Omega? If it even happens it'll bring 452 units, and if the other projects are condos it'll also bring along 163, and 239 condos respectively. But something is telling me the other projects won't be condos. Did they mention anything?

All of my Los Angeles updates can be found on my Flickr
Any extras can be found on my Instagram

Old Posted Today, 9:59 PM
Lurker

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations