HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 6:46 PM

New tallest in your city?

Is your city either proposing or getting a new tallest? If so are people for or against it?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 7:04 PM
Never Dell

Seattle has a 1,000'+ mostly residential proposal that developer Crescent Heights has been slow-playing while working through FAA issues due to being near a flight path. I haven't heard of controversy among the public. Like all Seattle projects it would pay huge fees (eight figures). In this case it would also mean 1,000+ households could live very near work, so there's that too. It would be across the street from the Columbia Center, which is slightly shorter.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 7:28 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Our two new tallest buildings are under construction right now. A new tallestest even taller than those two and another four taller than our current tallest are also proposed. I don't think most people know or care.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 7:32 PM
E pluribus unum

I think plans are underway for a new 541 foot tall mixed use (residential/office/retail) building in Phoenix, named Astra. Our current tallest is Valley Center/Chase Tower at 483 feet.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I think plans are underway for a new 541 foot tall mixed use (residential/office/retail) building in Phoenix, named Astra. Our current tallest is Valley Center/Chase Tower at 483 feet.
Hopefully it Happens

Also preliminary plans for new second tallest's

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 8:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

We have Central Park Tower (CPT) which is the tallest by roof. 1 WTC still holds the title of tallest (with spire).

Tower 5th is a proposal that will be 1,556 ft, so if it rises, it will beat CPT by 6 ft. So depending on how one classifies tallness and includes/doesn't include spires, we have either a new tallest or 2nd tallest present or 2nd tallest in the works or tallest in the works (tower 5th).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:01 PM
Space Magi

Not very impressive compared to some already mentioned here, but this 39 story, 446 ft building (Kensington Tower) has been proposed in Salt Lake City and would be the new tallest. There are also rumors that another residential tower at the Utah Theater site (developed by Hines and LaSalle) will be pushing to be the new tallest, but no solid details yet.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/mee...citys-skyline/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:03 PM

Chicago just gave final approval to one that is less than 30 feet shorter than the Sears Tower. At 1422 ft and 113 floors, it will join 4 other existing supertalls within a few blocks of each other. There was basically no public outcry against the height, and it was approved at the height originally proposed.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Chicago just gave final approval to one that is less than 30 feet shorter than the Sears Tower. At 1422 ft and 113 floors, it will join 4 other existing supertalls within a few blocks of each other. There was basically no public outcry against the height, and it was approved at the height originally proposed.[/img]
I'll believe it when I see it.

But if it does come to fruition, I will say that this is the direction NYC should have headed instead of those pencil thin supertalls lining Central Park South and surrounding areas. Uninspiring design eyesores.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 10:35 PM
A Man In Dandism

Won't exceed Salesforce Tower but this is our current tallest building under construction:

Oceanwide Center (50 First St) - 910 ft - 61 floors
Foster + Partners

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 11:16 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Also preliminary plans for new second tallest's

I know I should know this, but what building is that? I know the first is Astra and the second is Central Station. It's embarrassing because I lurk in the Phoenix development threads a lot but don't remember seeing this rendering?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 11:45 PM

here is my favorite render of Sky Tower and The One (Both UC)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 1:22 AM
Nashville born and raised

Nashville's tallest under construction, the 542', 40 story Four Seasons Residences, would be the second tallest when built.

The tallest proposed is the Paramount Tower which will be a ceiling shattering 750' tall, 65 story residential tower.

The Paramount is asking to locate on a small city park, so there is reluctance by some to grant approval. I think the issue may be settled one way or the other soon.

The current tallest is the 617' (including 90' spires), 32 story AT&T Building aka; The Batman Building!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:16 PM

Some great stuff going on in your cities guys.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:45 PM
Back on the road again

Atlanta

Nothing remotely close to a new tallest on the books for Atlanta. Our tallest (Bank of America Plaza), 1,023 ft, was constructed decades ago (1992). At the time, it was the tallest building in the nation outside of NY or Chicago, but it isn't any more.

Lots and lots of 20 and 30 story towers being built in multiple nodes, which is creating a much more interesting and dense skyline in the process, but nothing dramatically tall.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Nothing remotely close to a new tallest on the books for Atlanta. Our tallest (Bank of America Plaza), 1,023 ft, was constructed decades ago (1992). At the time, it was the tallest building in the nation outside of NY or Chicago, but it isn't any more.

Lots and lots of 20 and 30 story towers being built in multiple nodes, which is creating a much more interesting and dense skyline in the process, but nothing dramatically tall.
Same here. Ours built a decade earlier. I don't see a new tallest built anytime soon, if ever. Loads of medium sized ones all over town like Atlanta.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 5:08 PM

For Miami there are about a dozen new tallest proposals out there with varying degrees of reality behind them. None are currently actually U/C so with the economy the way it is, all are sort of up in the air.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I know I should know this, but what building is that? I know the first is Astra and the second is Central Station. It's embarrassing because I lurk in the Phoenix development threads a lot but don't remember seeing this rendering?
Its an RFP to replace a parking garage on that location.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Same here. Ours built a decade earlier. I don't see a new tallest built anytime soon, if ever. Loads of medium sized ones all over town like Atlanta.
Obvious difference being Houston's 10-15 tallest from the 80's & 90's have far less character and design flair than Atlanta's 10-15 tallest from the 80's & 90's and as a result look considerably more dated than Atlanta's.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:36 PM
Never Dell

The late 80s were a much better time for architecture than the 70s and early 80s. Houston and Denver are examples of getting the short end of the stick, with their construction peaking in the oil boom peaking in the early 80s. I do love pointy towers like the big ones in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Cleveland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions