HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:15 AM

Visited Chicago

I visted Chicago a few days ago. I was visiting family and friends in Wisconsin and thought id stop by Chicago on my drive back home to Colorado. It had been 4 years since i visited Chicago.

I drove in to the city heading south down HWY 90. When i first saw the skyline from real far away my jaw dropped. The addition of Vista really enhances the overall skyline.
Less gaps, and seeing five 1,000 ft tall buildings in close proximity is just insane. I love too how the highway heads directly at the skyline and gives the best view the whole time.
It's similar to when im driving into work heading west towards Boulder Colorado and the giant mountains are just right in front of you the whole time.

I just parked my car in a random parking lot downtown and walked all around. Great way to use my new Sony a6400 camera and Sigma 30mm lens. My first ever good camera, im very new to photography.

I want to take my girlfriend on this portable restaurant someday, when coronavirus is over

Last edited by Dylan Dude; Aug 2, 2020 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:25 AM

Last edited by Dylan Dude; Aug 2, 2020 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:36 AM

Last edited by Dylan Dude; Aug 2, 2020 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:30 AM
BANNED

Great photos!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 12:31 PM

Nice photos, glad you enjoyed the visit!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 1:22 PM

That's a decent hike - great shots.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 3:26 PM

The 5th photo from the bottom - the view up St Clair - has long been one of my favorite compositions.

For me, it is a great modernist collage and, like so many other less known gems in Chicago, I do not think it is on the radar of most people's

"check lists." It has been over a decade since I have stood there in awe.

That shot which focuses on Sears also hits the mark. What a brute! Like a bull in a china shop. It lacks the humane scale I prefer, but I can't help but

feel astonished by its existence. Whenever I hear of Bangladesh, I want people to know how that country has contributed to such a response.

As much as the building is too much, it also gives me hope.

Thank you.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:26 AM

Awesome guys glad you all like the photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
The 5th photo from the bottom - the view up St Clair - has long been one of my favorite compositions.

For me, it is a great modernist collage and, like so many other less known gems in Chicago, I do not think it is on the radar of most people's

"check lists." It has been over a decade since I have stood there in awe.

That shot which focuses on Sears also hits the mark. What a brute! Like a bull in a china shop. It lacks the humane scale I prefer, but I can't help but

feel astonished by its existence. Whenever I hear of Bangladesh, I want people to know how that country has contributed to such a response.

As much as the building is too much, it also gives me hope.

Thank you.
Awesome yeah when i saw that view with John Hancock and the other buildings i had to take a pic. Just crazy. A giant wall of skyscrapers haha so many different ones and no sky in between visible. I did not expect that or go there for that view intentionally but glad i ended up there on accident haha

And are you talking about the photo with sears that's 2nd from the bottom?
And what about Bangladesh?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:28 AM

Forgot to post these pics as well. I took these pics July 29th with my cellphone

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:02 AM

I meant the final photo of Sears. It beautifully illustrates how its sections - which each would be impressive skyscrapers on their own in any number of

cities - are stacked and counter-stacked as if they are some sort of vertical blocks in a monument to something much larger than itself.

Fazlur Khan was an extraordinary engineer/designer and without that Bangladeshi-american's brilliance Sears tower and John Hancock tower would

not be the awesome statements of massive architectural integrity which they are.

Two vastly different expressions of structural genius.

Maybe Graham helped Khan channel his genius, I do not know, but Fazlur Khan's creativity makes me want to say thank you to the people of

Bangladesh.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos