HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 4:57 PM

Government does matter and what it does, particularly in a province like Manitoba, and a city like Winnipeg, matters. So government can be blamed - or in better words, held to account - for what it does or does not do.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 4:57 PM

I had to take my mom to Misericordia for eye surgery last week so I spent some time in my office downtown while waiting to pick her up. All I can say is that omicron has brought the area back to phase 1 levels again. Even the sketchy element is barely noticeable... it just seems totally empty now. And the number of business closures keeps piling up.

All I can say is that getting downtown Winnipeg back to even in the same ballpark as pre-pandemic levels is going to take a seriously concerted effort. Even the "bad old days" of the late 90s seems like a Manhattan-like urban wonderland compared to the sheer desolate deadness of downtown now. I don't think that businesses will come flooding back as soon as restrictions ease, it's going to take a push. I am curious to know what the levels of government intend to do to help out.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 5:45 PM

In my office, pre-omicron I would say we were close to 80% back in the office, but after omicron it was probably down to 20% at best.

I don't know what the future of ground floor businesses is going to look like here in the coming years, drug stores, banks and coffee chains if we're lucky. Hopefully as the residential population grows some businesses will open to serve those needs. Last week I was standing on Graham waiting for a bus at around 7-8pm and caught myself looking at the Medical Arts building, True North apartments and 300 Main and felt some consolation that even though downtown feels dead, there were actually probably more people living around my bus stop then ever before - at least before I can remember.

How is the Exchange looking on the street? Since Omicron I've basically been restricted to West Broadway where I live and downtown.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:11 PM

It's not all doom and gloom in the Exchange, though. I tried to go to the Pumphouse restaurant on a -30 night recently (without a reso), the place had 11 parties ahead of me with a constant stream coming in and trying behind me and Saint seemed busy for 7pm. Decided not to go there and ended up at the Local on Garry. St and it was actually at covid capacity. The Exchange didn't have the absolute gutting of storefront retail like along Portage and the skywalk. Broadway is dire a well.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:43 PM

The retail is hurting more than the restaurants in the exchange. I went to a few places this weekend and one shop said they have not seen people shop hopping in the area for a long time and they were struggling.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:46 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I had to take my mom to Misericordia for eye surgery last week so I spent some time in my office downtown while waiting to pick her up. All I can say is that omicron has brought the area back to phase 1 levels again. Even the sketchy element is barely noticeable... it just seems totally empty now. And the number of business closures keeps piling up.

All I can say is that getting downtown Winnipeg back to even in the same ballpark as pre-pandemic levels is going to take a seriously concerted effort. Even the "bad old days" of the late 90s seems like a Manhattan-like urban wonderland compared to the sheer desolate deadness of downtown now. I don't think that businesses will come flooding back as soon as restrictions ease, it's going to take a push. I am curious to know what the levels of government intend to do to help out.
Whoever becomes the next mayor i do not envy the job ahead of them. Sure feels like Bowman has packed it in and has a gone fishin sign on his door as he still won't even bother to deal with the homeless situation in the bus shacks.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The retail is hurting more than the restaurants in the exchange. I went to a few places this weekend and one shop said they have not seen people shop hopping in the area for a long time and they were struggling.
That's what I was getting at with my earlier post... a downturn of a few months or a year, most businesses can handle that. But we're about to head into year 3 of this and by now it must be taking a serious toll on retailers. I'm sure the bigger companies like The Bay and Staples must have zero regrets over turning out the lights in their downtown locations.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
don't blame gov't. private enterprise need to make office workers want to come back into office. IG, Hydro, Richardson, the banks... are all huge employers that have employees WFH. I know people saving $200-$400 month in parking alone. and dont tell me they should be taking transit as that costs $ too. employers need to offer incentives.
Nah, we need to start thinking about what a downtown without such a large office population looks like. 50% of my friend group that previously worked in urban offices are now permanent work from home and much prefer it, to the point of changing employers to maintain the lifestyle if necessary. Another 30% will have at least a few days a week from home. My employer could offer me another $1,000 a month to work at our downtown office instead of from home and I wouldn't consider it. We won't get back to the same population of downtown office workers until there's a substantial population increase in the city as a whole, as a significant portion of office workers are now permanent WFH.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 11:54 PM

Work from home to the extent it is now is not going to last forever. A big part of it is due to the pandemic. So I wouldn't write off the return of downtown workers just yet. What is more likely is that workplaces become more flexible with more opportunities to work from home in come circumstances.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 12:53 AM

I think the hybrid option is best. Some people will still want to come into the office at least 1-2 times per week. If the hybrid option is the majority it allows offices to stay in downtown, will reduce traffic, and still provide the customers that downtown establishments direly need.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 10:51 PM

Hotel news

Further details re: the former Charter House being renovated into a Hampton Inn. Two floors being added and the number of rooms climbing from 87 to 134. As expected with a Hampton Inn, no standalone restaurant and most meeting rooms are gone.

Also, the Marlborough listed for $6.9M, The Windsor for $3M

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...576224112.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 3:27 AM

WPF states there will be "a space for complementary breakfasts, plus a new bar and limited menu for afternoons and evenings".

Hope this means the lounge & gaming (VLTs) will be shut down. Draws a bad crowd.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 4:07 PM

A tidbit of good news for the Exchange and the City as a whole. Bartley Kives is reporting that Ubisoft intends to expand its Winnipeg presence, invest $139m and add an additional 200 jobs:

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1504845792305102870

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
A tidbit of good news for the Exchange and the City as a whole. Bartley Kives is reporting that Ubisoft intends to expand its Winnipeg presence, invest $139m and add an additional 200 jobs:

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1504845792305102870
That's great news!

v0['5t34-=bl,7.........l78

(that last bit is what the cat just added to the comment)

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 5:16 PM
What could go wrong?

I can smell it....pretty soon they will be building a new corporate tower. I may finally get my wish

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 5:45 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I can smell it....pretty soon they will be building a new corporate tower. I may finally get my wish

One day Biff, keep manifesting it

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 5:45 PM

great vote of confidence for the area! certainly compliments the recent momentum the area has seen as of late. festival season at old market square is gonna be something else this year!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 6:33 PM

I take it Ubisoft will add the workers to their existing building?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 10:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

139 million that's quiet the space for only 200 additional jobs

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
139 million that's quiet the space for only 200 additional jobs
The 200 jobs are in a high-demand tech sector. To my unedjamacated mind that makes the expansion news more significant than, say, 200 more entry-level clerks for the city or province. I personally wouldn't minimize the impact of the announcement by suggesting it's "only" 200 jobs. But that's just IMO of course.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan