HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:06 PM
Back from the dead

Yeah...Winnipeg isn't going to turn into San Francisco. San Francisco is the global center of high-tech. Winnipeg is the global center for Slurpees. And we're proud of it for some reason. We're not in danger of being smothered in million dollar bathrooms any time soon.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:27 PM

Reno's underway in the Dreman building for Azure Coffee and Tea. That makes 3 of 4 units occupied there. Add the donair shop a block over and reno's going on to add CRUs to 200 and 201 Portage – all of a sudden those few 2 blocks of Portage will have a much different feel.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Reno's underway in the Dreman building for Azure Coffee and Tea. That makes 3 of 4 units occupied there. Add the donair shop a block over and reno's going on to add CRUs to 200 and 201 Portage – all of a sudden those few 2 blocks of Portage will have a much different feel.
It's good news, but what's happening along that stretch is consistent with what's been going on over the last 25 years where it ping-pongs from mostly empty to mostly occupied to mostly empty again every few years.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's good news, but what's happening along that stretch is consistent with what's been going on over the last 25 years where it ping-pongs from mostly empty to mostly occupied to mostly empty again every few years.
Yeah, hopefully the 42 storey apartment building around the corner helps.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:10 PM

Not exactly what I'd call a looker, but Sherwood is pitching this pair of four storey buildings meant for seniors at Bishop Grandin and River Road.

Seems like a reasonable proposal to me. That location should definitely be used for more than the few run down houses that are currently there. Just too bad that it looks like something out of 2004. Oh, and also the fact that there is absolutely nothing within easy walking distance for seniors other than a couple of parks.

More here in the Freep: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...567512472.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:57 PM

Any idea what this multi, multi million dollar redevelopment by CanadInns might be? Is it real, or just a ploy to try to avoid historic designation of the Summeret Bldg.

“The company is also planning to redevelop the Somerset Building with a mix of bars, restaurants and retail and connect its properties together in a campus-type remodel under the name Canad Place.”

“"We got the hotel, we got the Somerset. That's all going to be glazed in. The street is going to be part of the office building, part of the hotel," he said.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...inns-1.5450092

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 11:08 PM

They're going to "glaze in" the Radisson? I'd be super interested to see what that looks like. Probably like shit, but we'll see.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 11:17 PM

I worry about anything involving CanadInns. There appears to be a render in the background of the photo in the CBC news story. Anyone seen this render up close?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:19 AM

Sounds to me like maybe they want to glass in the lane between Somerset and Met. Something like the RRC Roblin Centre on Princess. That could be really interesting.

TNSE just did some renos and reopened the skywalk to Somerset/Radisson for the first season in 5 years this season... So maybe that was in anticipation of these changes. This would also make me think perhaps this is why (aside from new TVs) Canad has completely let Tavern go and doesn't seem to care... Move it into your property soon.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:32 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I worry about anything involving CanadInns. There appears to be a render in the background of the photo in the CBC news story. Anyone seen this render up close?
Canad Place sounds like a fucking nightmare.

"Oh, we're gonna *renovate* the lobby, tear out Somerset, replace it all with shitty little Tavern Uniteds and TYC abortions, and then demolish part of Met, so we can connect it with stucco skywalks! HOWS THAT FOR PROGRESS!!!!!!"

...i pray that the City puts these asshats in their place.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Canad Place sounds like a fucking nightmare.

"Oh, we're gonna *renovate* the lobby, tear out Somerset, replace it all with shitty little Tavern Uniteds and TYC abortions, and then demolish part of Met, so we can connect it with stucco skywalks! HOWS THAT FOR PROGRESS!!!!!!"

...i pray that the City puts these asshats in their place.
Serious question though... I'm not from around these parts. What's the deal with Canada Inns? That logo drives me insane! Looks like something straight out of the 80's! Everything they've touched looks incredibly tacky. How are they even moderately successful? Has to be corruption of some sort. Has to be!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:04 AM
Source?

Odd that it comes out hes planning to work on those tired old buildings only after the city wants to make it historic...

"This particular building just doesn't meet the criteria that would warrant an historic designation. It just doesn't," Lea Ledohowski said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...inns-1.5450092

What a compelling argument... "it just doesn't". I'm sold

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 10:28 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Serious question though... I'm not from around these parts. What's the deal with Canada Inns? That logo drives me insane! Looks like something straight out of the 80's! Everything they've touched looks incredibly tacky. How are they even moderately successful? Has to be corruption of some sort. Has to be!
They're not a bad company at all, it's just that everything they build and touch screams "economy". Inside, the hotels are fine and clean and all that and you're not going to regret staying in a CanadInns hotel. They just don't seem to have any taste. Even gaudy is beyond their scope.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
They're not a bad company at all, it's just that everything they build and touch screams "economy". Inside, the hotels are fine and clean and all that and you're not going to regret staying in a CanadInns hotel. They just don't seem to have any taste. Even gaudy is beyond their scope.
In terms of their hotels, a lot of people don't necessarily want to pay for a lot of extras. As long as the room is clean, comfortable and safe, many travellers spend their time outside their hotel rooms...travelling. In that regard, I feel there's nothing terribly "wrong" with CanadInns locations (even their logo, while kind of bland, doesn't offend me like it seems to others).

I'm interested to see what kind of plans they have for that corner of Portage Ave. At least, before I fly off into a foaming rage about it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
CanadInns is what it is... a small town mom and pop hotel (began in Poplarfield, MB IIRC) that grew to literally become the largest private sector employer in Winnipeg. But it still thinks like the old small town mom and pop outfit that it once was, and their buildings reflect that. Whatever works, I guess.

With regard to the Somerset heritage designation, I usually take the pie in the sky promises of companies trying to dodge these designations with a grain of salt. But in this case, CanadInns has the means to get it done, and the fact that they own all of the properties in question gives them serious credibility. I'd also say that the Somerset Building is drastically underperforming relative to its prime location and the fact that CanadInns owns the neighbouring buildings suggests to me that they have a real interest in boosting the Somerset's fortunes. So when CanadInns says it wants to do something big there, I'd believe them.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
CanadInns is what it is... a small town mom and pop hotel (began in Poplarfield, MB IIRC) that grew to literally become the largest private sector employer in Winnipeg.
Wikipedia says Canad Inns has 3,500 employees. I'm pretty sure that is a far cry from being Winnipeg's largest private sector employer. Great West Life (now Canada Life) alone has over 18,000 employees - and yeah, not all of them will be in Winnipeg but the same could be said about the Canad Inns figure.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Wikipedia says Canad Inns has 3,500 employees. I'm pretty sure that is a far cry from being Winnipeg's largest private sector employer. Great West Life (now Canada Life) alone has over 18,000 employees - and yeah, not all of them will be in Winnipeg but the same could be said about the Canad Inns figure.
GWL has 2,325 employees in Winnipeg.

My source is here: https://www.economicdevelopmentwinni...on/data-tables

Scroll down to the Winnipeg's Largest Employers tab and open the Excel sheet with the details. I was floored when I found out that CanadInns was the largest. Obviously many of those jobs (part time waiter, etc.) pale in comparison to the average earnings at a place like GWL, but still. They are the biggest.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
GWL has 2,325 employees in Winnipeg.

My source is here: https://www.economicdevelopmentwinni...on/data-tables

Scroll down to the Winnipeg's Largest Employers tab and open the Excel sheet with the details. I was floored when I found out that CanadInns was the largest. Obviously many of those jobs (part time waiter, etc.) pale in comparison to the average earnings at a place like GWL, but still. They are the biggest.
Ah you are correct! Thank you for sharing that!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:

With regard to the Somerset heritage designation, I usually take the pie in the sky promises of companies trying to dodge these designations with a grain of salt. But in this case, CanadInns has the means to get it done, and the fact that they own all of the properties in question gives them serious credibility. I'd also say that the Somerset Building is drastically underperforming relative to its prime location and the fact that CanadInns owns the neighbouring buildings suggests to me that they have a real interest in boosting the Somerset's fortunes. So when CanadInns says it wants to do something big there, I'd believe them.
I agree that most developers seem to sing the same old "heritage designation blues". In this case, however, I can see his point; it's a nice older building but doesn't really have a lot of distinctive architectural features. Still, the process needs to be followed, and personally I don't think he needed to play the "heritage designations is killing my plans" card at this point. My gut feeling though, is that as long as his plans don't include perching a circus tent on the roof or tearing it down and building a Dairy Queen, his plans will probably be approved.

I also agree the building underperforms considering it's location. I dig bargain stores as much as the next guy, but if the Somerset can be updated to include some entertainment options, as the article seemed to suggest, it could add a little more 'E' to the SHED district.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:48 PM

I wonder if there are any plans to do something with the mothballed Northstar Cinemas in the basement of the hotel?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan