HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 10:36 PM
recession proof

I'm debating going back to school so yeah I guess it's good news. It's depressing lining up for jobs, competing with 45,000 unemployed realtors, 800,000 TFW students and now 100,000 laid of tech bros for $30/hr jobs.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 2:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Canada's international student spike was blamed on private colleges. Here's what really happened

Quote:
Data obtained by CBC News reveals which colleges, universities account for biggest share of rapid growth
Post-secondary institution Province Permits
Conestoga College Ontario 30,395
University Canada West B.C. 13,913
Fanshawe College Ontario 11,706
Niagara College Canada Ontario 11,199
Seneca College Ontario 11,042
Lambton College Ontario 9,639
Centennial College Ontario 9,529
Algoma University Ontario 9,329
Sheridan College Ontario 9,211
Fleming College Ontario 8,849

Quote:
Over the six-year period covered by the data, more than 1.5 million study permits were issued for students to attend some 1,300 colleges and universities.

That translates into international students paying tens of billions of dollars into Canada's post-secondary system — at a time when provincial governments were imposing austerity measures on public universities and colleges.
hmm, degreeless douggie ford cuts spending and freezes tuition (for 7 years) and you wonder why this is happening.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 11:13 AM

Research disparaging Quebec's claims that Anglophone Universities are overfunded and hurt the French language in the Province. To be taken with a grain of salt as it was conducted by a research institute Concordia-based.

This research was concluded before the sweeping changes on out-of-province tuition at Anglophone Universities and International Students.

Quote:
Researchers unpack claims McGill, Concordia are overfunded and hurting French
“Ideological arguments underline what appears to be a conflation of two different problems: the chronic underfunding of the university system and the future of French in Quebec.”

Author of the article:Andy Riga
Published Mar 05, 2024 • Last updated 18 hours ago • 6 minute read
https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...hurting-french

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I'm debating going back to school so yeah I guess it's good news. It's depressing lining up for jobs, competing with 45,000 unemployed realtors, 800,000 TFW students and now 100,000 laid of tech bros for $30/hr jobs.

I hear you, I've been out of work for 10 months now. Since the Writers/Actors strike it's shut down the entire 3D TV/Film production industry in Toronto. Word is jobs might start coming back in June. I went to a job fair back in February, waited with about 4000 people outside for 2 hours for crappy jobs just for them to cancel the job fair. If I don't find something soon I'll be forced to leave my home of 15 years in Riverside and move in with family on the Sunshine Coast. I love to visit their I do not want to live there. It's like Ft Lauderdale, nothing but seniors.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:36 PM

Ontario has completely thrown Universities under the bus in favor or Colleges who will get 80% of the study permits. Classic anti-elitism couched as priority for in demand occupations when colleges are the cause of the problem with fake students the bulk of their registrations.

More here (Paywall)
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...blic-colleges/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Ontario has completely thrown Universities under the bus in favor or Colleges who will get 80% of the study permits. Classic anti-elitism couched as priority for in demand occupations when colleges are the cause of the problem with fake students the bulk of their registrations.

More here (Paywall)
I can't see the whole article but aren't the study permits going to public colleges and public universities?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I can't see the whole article but aren't the study permits going to public colleges and public universities?
But 80% of those are going to the community colleges, which I assume is what he was concerned about. In fact, I think it lines up well with the province's priorities, assuming many of these students will become permanent residents. Universities, however, will take a serious financial hit, I should think.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Apr 10, 2024 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post

More here (Paywall)

Why do you believe this is a problem?

There's a number of statements in the article that seem like responsible policy.

Quote:
Private career colleges, which provide vocational courses that are often shorter than diploma programs at public colleges, will not receive any applications, the government said.
The provincial government said it will prioritize allocating permit applications to institutions that emphasize high-demand areas of study such as skilled trades, health human resources, STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math), hospitality and child care.
The government also said no institution will be allowed to exceed its 2023 international permit levels, and that the ratio of permits at each school can’t exceed 55 per cent of its 2023 first-year domestic enrolment – although there will be exemptions for high-demand fields of study. French language enrolment will also be prioritized.
Ontario’s universities had asked that the province grant them 35 per cent of the study permit applications, but they emerged with less than 20 per cent. The provincial government estimates that 22 of the province’s 23 public universities will keep international applications at 2023 levels, with only Algoma University, based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., seeing a decline.
Archive link: https://archive.is/20240328200815/ht...blic-colleges/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:35 PM

Very well done video.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 10:28 PM

Any thoughts from the SSP whores on this?

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/conesto...suit-1.6855489
Conestoga College and John Tibbits named in defamation lawsuit
Published April 20, 2024 3:09 p.m. EDT

Quote:
Conestoga College and its president John Tibbits have been named in a defamation lawsuit.

The statement of claim filed in Sault Ste. Marie on April 11 lists Sault College of Applied Arts and Technology and school president David Orazietti as the plaintiffs. Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning and school president John Tibbits are listed as the defendants.

The document claims the plaintiffs are seeking “an order requiring the Defendants to publicly retract and apologize for having defamed the Plaintiffs.”

They are seeking $150,000 in general damages for defamation, $50,000 in punitive damages, plus interest and court costs.

Reputation worries
The statement of claim filed this month reads:

“During the event, in his capacity as President of Conestoga College, Mr. Tibbits made false, malicious and defamatory statements about Sault College and Mr. Orazietti, including the following:

(a) Stating Mr. Orazietti had only been on the job as President with Sault College for a few months and needed to learn to “shut his mouth”;
(b) Stating “Like Orazietti, why are his goddamn students in Toronto? Why not up there? Talk about a whore, I mean, he's taking a percentage of the profits of an operation," followed by "I can't stand the guy by the way.";
c) Referring to colleges in Northern Ontario, such as Sault College, as outsourcing their academic programs to places like Toronto and handing out diplomas like “puppy mills”;
(d) Stating "You should ask Orazietti what he's doing up in Toronto. Ask him how many beds he built in Toronto? How many beds have they got in Toronto? Zero,"; and
(e) Stating, "This guy has been on the job eight bloody months up there and he's offering project management in a couple of programs like that in Toronto and he's offering no services.”

The claim alleges Sault College and Orazietti suffered damage to their reputations as a result of Tibbits’ comments.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 3:55 AM

I don’t see anything there that is defamatory in a legal sense. It is also not obviously false. Impolite perhaps.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada