HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 5:35 AM
Green Berniecrat

I feel tempted to try out the competition, just to see what would happen. I already have my proposal drawn out on paper, however, the rules of the selection seem very complex. Too bad I dont have access to a city massing model generator. Wish I could show it to someone, sigh ...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 6:04 AM

i think you should post it but thats just me...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 6:49 AM
Green Berniecrat

Yeah, I thought about that because I wanted to see what other people thought about it, but ... I dont have a scanning device with me, poor me

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 5:35 AM
Green Berniecrat

Well, since there really has been no real news regarding Transbay, and because I know the design competition is in progress, I thought maybe I might show off a building I designed (or drew up rather, heh)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 6:00 AM

LOL, I would jump for joy if it was 114 stories - hell, if it turns out to be 100 stories, it will be AWESOME!

I just hope the top floor is actually well above 1000', not the garbage they are doing with the new WTC tower where the building itself is pretty meh, and they have a spire and such to make it 1776' tall.

However, with the goal of this project to get as much sq. ft. out of a given lot, I think we will see Hong Kong style determination to actually make it a tall building, not a short building with an antenna.

Actually, I would rather see no antenna at all, just a honest to goodness TALL building!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 6:06 AM
Green Berniecrat

Well, I know I'm no match for Renzo Piano, but this drawing is my design for what has become known as Renzo's Tower, or the second tallest of the three I guess. So the tallest tower (1250+'), I'll draw up differently.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 7:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence
Well, I know I'm no match for Renzo Piano, but this drawing is my design for what has become known as Renzo's Tower, or the second tallest of the three I guess. So the tallest tower (1250+'), I'll draw up differently.
Looks like "The Towering Inferno" or the Sears Tower to me.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 8:41 AM
Green Berniecrat

I actually think it resembles more to Trump Tower Chicago. However, its a coincidence that you say it looks like The Glass Tower and The Sears Tower because my design of the tallest of the three Transbay Towers is just that case (as soon as I am finished with it, I will show everyone so they can tell me what they think)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 10:34 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

No offense, but that isn't at all the kind of shape, massing, or color I'd like to see for the Transbay Tower.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 6:42 PM
Green Berniecrat

No, none taken. As for the shape, I was trying to look for something other than one big, gigantic box or rectangle because I know some people (myself included) are tired of seeing those around. As for the color, well, that can always be changed, I just choose any old color other than just plain white.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 10:43 PM

I love San Francisco, and I am not an architect, but I would love to see at least one tower that would get it's inspiration from the towers of (what I consider)the icon of San Francisco and the Bay area itself: The Golden Gate Bridge. Something that could update the elegant sort of gothic look of the bridge towers and maybe emphasize more their slight setbacks(the setbacks thus avoiding too much of a 'box' look). Maybe something that could incorporate the blue of the bay and sky and the vermilion of the bridge itself-maybe not the primary color of the building but maybe in some minimal yet noticeable way. lol as I said I am no architect but I think a landmark building in the area might want to draw from something in the area or it's history. Crazy idea?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 11:02 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy
I love San Francisco, and I am not an architect, but I would love to see at least one tower that would get it's inspiration from the towers of (what I consider)the icon of San Francisco and the Bay area itself: The Golden Gate Bridge. Something that could update the elegant sort of gothic look of the bridge towers and maybe emphasize more their slight setbacks(the setbacks thus avoiding too much of a 'box' look). Maybe something that could incorporate the blue of the bay and sky and the vermilion of the bridge itself-maybe not the primary color of the building but maybe in some minimal yet noticeable way. lol as I said I am no architect but I think a landmark building in the area might want to draw from something in the area or it's history. Crazy idea?

Several folks in the SSP transbay tower design comp (not sanctioned ) also suggested that design approach. However, as the lead project manager for the competition has pointed out in various press releases, the design and the engineering will go hand in hand (more so than usual) to produce the tower. I would definitely not respond well to a international orange tower plonked down in the skyline. The color of the Gate works because of the intensity of the natural shoreline, sea and headlands... On a building it would look like a massive safety cone.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence
I feel tempted to try out the competition, just to see what would happen. I already have my proposal drawn out on paper, however, the rules of the selection seem very complex. Too bad I dont have access to a city massing model generator. Wish I could show it to someone, sigh ...
No offence, but no matter how good of a design you had, unless you are a major firm with an awesome portfolio, this would be 100% inaccessible to you or I. Anyway, even if they liked your idea, it would just be one little tiny part of the process and another firm would have to do everything else anyway (from studying wind, earthquakes, soil, and thousands of other issues).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotetrickster
Several folks in the SSP transbay tower design comp (not sanctioned ) also suggested that design approach. However, as the lead project manager for the competition has pointed out in various press releases, the design and the engineering will go hand in hand (more so than usual) to produce the tower. I would definitely not respond well to a international orange tower plonked down in the skyline. The color of the Gate works because of the intensity of the natural shoreline, sea and headlands... On a building it would look like a massive safety cone.
Well I was suggesting just the form..something with a twist on the gothic- like feel of the towers-and accentuating setbacks so it would not be just a box..and with the vermillion(international orange) or blue being accent colors only-not the main or primary color of the building. a minimalist use of those colors so they would not be overwhelming. It would have to be done with style and class and grace-something that a landmark building for San Francisco should have of course.

I just see that taking ideas from the Golden Gate Bridge might not be a bad idea. Just plopping down an enormous International Orange box would of course be horrendous!

I would like to see San Francisco(my favorite city) do something so spectacular that it would open on a gust of superlatives, just like the Golden Gate Bridge did(longest span, highest bridge towers, etc.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even something like this idea from Reminiscence (see below)where you could use the vermillion instead of the yellow..or even have the primary color a more neutral color and use the blue and vermillion in bordering or like in the areas that are yellow in this building idea.
Just enough so it would cause one to think, 'I know those colors from somewhere?" and then the realization could set in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I wonder how they are addressing the use of large amounts of glass in buildings going up in SF considering the seismic risk.
Are there limiting factors because of the seismic risk, and if so, what are they?
( I have read many of the posts in this thread but not all so if I missed this discussed already you all have my apologies.)

Last edited by toddguy; Nov 22, 2006 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy
I just hope the top floor is actually well above 1000', not the garbage they are doing with the new WTC tower where the building itself is pretty meh, and they have a spire and such to make it 1776' tall.
ratboy, the new WTC tower will be in 1368 to the roof, i think that qualifies as 'well above' 1000 feet

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 12:16 AM
BANNED

BizTimes says the following developers were represented at a "pre-submittal meeting" of the design competition: Forest City, Clark Realty Capital, Kenwood Investments, Wilson Meany Sullivan, Hines, Shorenstein, and Boston Properties. Design firms attending were SOM, Studios, HOK, Chong Partners, HellerManus, KMD, Fentriss Bradburn and Architectonica. The BizTimes says not to worry that this means no input from starchitects like Richard Rogers, Frank Gehry and Norman Foster because they would probably partner with one of the firms who were there if they get involved.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 9:10 AM
Green Berniecrat

Here was my idea (again, just an idea) for the tallest of the Transbay Towers, I took both the Sears Tower and Glass Tower and sort of combined them into one. I tried to get to an approximate color as the Glass Tower and divided it into 10 sections of 149' (45m) each, with the exception of the first section which is 150' (46m). The other difference between this tower and the Sears Tower, is that here, the top of the sections end in a triangular shape, instead of the square shape you find at Sears Tower. The Squares next to the towers (one for when facing it from south and the other for when facing it from the north) show how the sections top out when viewing it from directly above the tower itself.

Section 1: 0' (0m) to 150' (46m) ; Floors 1 to 11
Section 2: 151' (46m) to 300' (91m) ; Floors 12 to 23
Section 3: 301' (92m) to 450' (137m) ; Floors 24 to 35
Section 4: 451' (138m) to 600' (183m) ; Floors 36 to 47
Section 5: 601' (183m) to 750' (229m) ; Floors 48 to 59
Section 6: 751' (229m) to 900' (274m) ; Floors 60 to 75
Section 7: 901' (275m) to 1050' (320m) ; Floors 76 to 90
Section 8: 1051' (320m) to 1200' (366m) ; Floors 91 to 106
Section 9: 1201' (366m) to 1350' (412m) ; Floors 107 to 120
Section 10: 1351' (412m) to 1500' (457m) ; Floors 121 to 134
Structural Top: 1501' (458m) to 1525' (465m)
Northwest Antenna: 1501' (458m) to 2010' (613m)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 9:53 AM
BANNED

Dude, are you familiar with the likely site for this building? It's potentially a block long east/west, but quite narrow--maybe 1/3 of a block at most. So your design should have those dimensions (east/west dimesnion should be about 3 times the north/south dimension). Also, what the city planners are almost certainly going to want is something fairly thin and elegant--and NOT bulky. In other words, anything like the Sears Tower is exactly what would bring the NIMBYs out in droves and give the Planning Dept. a collective heart attack.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 10:17 AM
Green Berniecrat

Well, as I said, this in only an idea, meaning I'm not saying "Build this exactly as you see it, right now." This is more of a concept than anything, so its definetly still "modify-able"

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 1:55 AM
Green Berniecrat

Here is an idea for the third (and shortest) of the Transbay Series. Assuming that developers would like to achieve the greatest amount of space while not creating a bulky building at the same time, I tried to narrow the tower as I went up. At least this way, the NIMBYs wont complain so much from the views because the top is fairly narrow and slender.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development