HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM

“As he explained, those losses are significant. “We have included the expected full-year impact of Motional’s losses in our current outlook: a non-cash equity loss of approximately $340 million or $1.20 of earnings per share.””
https://www.iotworldtoday.com/transp...cker-pulls-out

Old Posted Today, 2:50 AM

My main objection to the Beltline in general is that it fails badly the basic requirement of safely facilitating movement of its users today. It’s madness mixing bikes, scooters, people walking dogs, strollers, drunk people, runners, kids, and everybody else in a very insufficiently narrow path. This would not fly in the European cities we are trying so hard to emulate—they have dedicated bike lanes on sidewalks a hundredth as crowded as the Beltline.

This needs to be fixed really, really badly.

Old Posted Today, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Looks like the Beltline could get EV autonomous pods kinda like the Hopper at Truist Park instead of Streetcar. I brought this up a few weeks ago and kinda got a little public stoning. As I said I understand the "romanticism" of rail but autonomous is sooooo much cheeper, easer and way more flexible and could be installed all the way around. Plus as tech improves could be used to assess any point on Beltline form any point in the city.

OT: Today I drove Full Self Driving from Ansley Mall parking lot down Monroe to North and across to GA Tech/Techwood, meandered through campus with all the construction, peds and VRUs, came out on Hemphill on 10th to State St and back home in Atlantic Station without a single disengagement. Autonomous driving is getting close.

https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-m...g-the-beltline
If these autonomous vehicles could hover and travel in the air, I could accept it. But setting up a dedicated lane for them to travel back and forth alongside Beltline, I'm sorry, I can't accept that!

Old Posted Today, 1:51 PM

Stop trying to make autonomous pods happen, they're not going to happen.

https://beltline.org/wp-content/uplo...INAL-DRAFT.pdf

The beltline transit study was done in 2019 and already looked at all the alternative options, and it was settle that streetcar extension was the preferred option. It is so embarrassing for journalism in Atlanta that none of the news agencies talking to the mayor and getting these soundbites is willing to hold his feet to the fire and ask why he has chosen to ignore the already completed study and start a whole new one. Is it because he didn't like the answer on the last one? Or is it a delay tactic to try and derail the momentum and hope transit just dies out? The automation section of the study delved into why small autonomous pods would not make sense on the beltline.

Old Posted Today, 3:45 PM

I told y'all rail wasn't happening ... the only thing that surprises me is how quickly they admitted it

Old Posted Today, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I told y'all rail wasn't happening ... the only thing that surprises me is how quickly they admitted it
I'm not overly promoting EV Pods and I'm fine with the way it is. Love the Beltline as a Ped/VRU only. Streetcars just seems to be such a waste of money ESPECIALLY when you consider it was almost $100M for 2.7 miles and ridership is only a little over 100 people a day average last year.

And the limited Beltline extension is expected to cost $230M that MARTA could desperately use elsewhere. Just imagine how much it would cost to cover all 33 miles of the Beltline.

My point is before poring ¼ of a billon dollars down the toilet for a few people to ride on a small section of the Beltline a better option is to spend a fraction of that amount on EV Pods and cover all 33 miles OR BETTER yet leave it as is.

Old Posted Today, 5:45 PM

Ah the ol' it goes no where and costs too much argument. That's the problem most transit advocates predicted when you start what should be an extensive interconnected system with a small loop in traffic. Building a big loop with its own right of way around the entire beltline that connects to heavy rail stations is not comparable to today's streetcar loop. The capacity of light rail might not even be enough at peak times. If I were to do it all over I would have cut and covered the beltline with heavy rail below, but that's not an option now. What is an option is using the space that is already available/set aside for light rail.

Mass transit is a public service. Cost alone should not dictate whether it is built or not. If the city continues to grow and densify we will need even more investments in mass transit beyond the beltline streetcar loop. Autonomous vehicles are not the answer to congestion.

Old Posted Today, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not overly promoting EV Pods and I'm fine with the way it is. Love the Beltline as a Ped/VRU only. Streetcars just seems to be such a waste of money ESPECIALLY when you consider it was almost $100M for 2.7 miles and ridership is only a little over 100 people a day average last year.

And the limited Beltline extension is expected to cost $230M that MARTA could desperately use elsewhere. Just imagine how much it would cost to cover all 33 miles of the Beltline.

My point is before poring ¼ of a billon dollars down the toilet for a few people to ride on a small section of the Beltline a better option is to spend a fraction of that amount on EV Pods and cover all 33 miles OR BETTER yet leave it as is.
yes, the current streetcar line does not go anywhere truly useful, yet. it's also slow because it gets stuck in traffic. the whole point of putting it on the beltline covers both of these issues.

it will finally go somewhere (downtown to the burgeoning office/retail subdistrict that is O4W as well as the beltline in general) and it will have its own right of way which will make it much faster along that stretch (at least a consistent 20mph) when it doesn't have to fight traffic lights and parked cars.

transit is expensive, but this is actually very much on the cheaper side of things comparatively. heavy rail is many times more expensive to build. the right of way exists, and gravel's original intention included a tram running alongside the path.

Old Posted Today, 7:13 PM

Quote:

Agreed, why not think outside the box a bit. Just because light rail has been around for over 100 years doesn't mean that is the only option. If you figure it takes at least 5 years at the earliest to build out light rail (we all know it will be longer). Is it really that hard to believe 5 years from now there won't be a viable autonomous solution that can move people at scale that won't cost 100s of millions of dollars? How can anyone say that definitely is imposible.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta