HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 8:19 PM

The set of sepia photographs from the turn of the century also included this one of the Sierra Madre Villa.

ebay

we've seen the Sierra Madre Villa before here: (it doesn't resemble the above photograph at all)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11151

and a short newspaper article courtesy of GW
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11162

below:I thought I'd go ahead and re-post this excellent view of the veranda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

ebay
...and there are ruins!

__

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 8:25 PM

...now for the last two photographs in the set.

The Shorb House in neighboring San Marino circa 1901.
ebay

Presbyterian church, Pasadena 1901.
ebay

I'm not sure if this beautiful church is still standing. I'll have to check into it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 8:56 PM

If you look closely, you can see a line of buses in front of the Pioneer Memorial (the waterfall appears to be working)

ebay

see

I'm curious about these two building as well.

I think the 7 shaped building is part of the underground parking (I've circled the ramp below).
I wonder what the tall/pylon type sign (in green)
And if this an underground garage, how did this long narrow older building (in yellow) remain standing?

Silly questions I know, but it's fun to truly inspect these photographs.
_

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 8:57 PM

A minor point, but......

What may have caused some confusion is that you are looking at a SANTA BARBARA directory - NOT an L.A. one.

Quote:
ebay

detail

I found E. J. Jaquith in the 1898 city directory. (I didn't go through all of them)

LAPL

...but the street number in the photograph is 360. -so either the photograph is earlier or later than the 1898 location on State.
__

Excellent post Flyingwedge on the Sale family and the Hope street area highlighting the Highland Villa.
It was very interesting!

Thanks Jack (Wig-Wag) for researching the Griffith Park airplanes.
__

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:

Presbyterian church, Pasadena 1901.
ebay

I'm not sure if this beautiful church is still standing. I'll have to check into it.
Here are some of the pictures that LAPL have. The captions are copied verbatim.

"Exterior view of the Presbyterian Church in Pasadena, in 1885."

LAPL

"Exterior view of First Presbyterian Church at the northwest corner of Colorado Street and Garfield Avenue, in Pasadena."

LAPL

"Exterior view of the Presbyterian Church on the northwest corner of Colorado Street and Garfield Avenue, in Pasadena, in 1876. Tower was blown down in the windstorm of 1888. A trolley pulled by horses is shown in the foreground."

LAPL

"View of Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena looking east from Marengo Ave. circa 1888. The church at right is First Methodist Church. The church at left is Pasadena Presbyterian Church, located on the northwest corner of Garfield Avenue and Colorado."

LAPL

"Exterior view of the Presbyterian Church on the northwest corner of Colorado Street and Garfield, in Pasadena. View of the exterior is after the 1893 wind damage."

LAPL

The northwest corner of Colorado and Garfield as it appears today. I think the church in the pictures above got replaced by a different church soon after these pictures were taken.

GSV

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
We've seen Bit O' Sweden before on NLA, but this is an especially good scan.
We have, E_R, but I don't think we've ever had such a good photo of it before. If I recall they've all been pretty small. (I remember trying to look for one and couldn't find a good one at the time.) THANKS!

P.S.: Whoever asked, Scandia was located on the opposite side of the street. (Sunset Blvd.)

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
E. Colorado Street, Pasadena circa 1901. (no other information was given)

ebay
Too bad there is not any info on this magnificent house. It is obviously huge and a bit of an unusual design. Particularly catching my eye is what appears to be a bay window constructed using plate glass installed in such a fashion that it almost looks like a single piece of curved glass.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 10:38 PM

I have to agree RiT, that house caught my eye right away. There seems to be a blend of three or four architectural styles
(example: the classical porch/entrance with Ionic columns while the balcony above is almost Asian influenced)
__

Thanks for the many photos of the Presbyterian Church HossC. So was the steeple taller and then later shortened,
or shorter first then taller?*

*oops..I failed to noticed the dates. It was shortened.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
E. Colorado Street, Pasadena circa 1901. (no other information was given)

ebay
e_r, you're probably gonna find this hard to believe, but you've spotted another Greene & Greene - again, before they had taken on their signature Craftsman style. The house in this photo was built for James Swan in 1898-99, originally located at 515 E. Colorado Boulevard.

Columbia University

The kicker? It still exists today, though dramatically altered. It was moved to 2162 N. Holliston Ave. in Altadena, during the 20's (quite possibly when Colorado was widened in 1929). If I remember correctly, the alterations were carried out by Henry Greene. It's definitely nothing close to what it used to be but interesting that it's still here. Google view is mostly obscured by trees:

GSV

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 12:01 AM

I was going to post about the Azusa Street Revival, then realized I had to start at this small bungalow on Bonnie Brea.

GSV

-looks like they built up the front yard to avoid another collapsing porch mishap.
GSV

It's a pretty amazing story.

William J. Seymour/I'll pick up the story at Bonnie Brae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azusa_Street_Revival

moving to Azusa Street

http://bbhchurchconnection.blogspot....sa-street.html

-not sure when it lost it's roof/or the stairs leading up to the 2nd floor door (see below)

http://oldlandmark.wordpress.com/201...-azusa-street/

This is the only extant photograph of 312 Azusa Street as the earlier Methodist Church.

Azusa Street was never much more than a rutted alleyway and has never been longer than about one block long.
The street was formerly known as Old Second Street.

google_earth

criticism

http://www.guidedbiblestudies.com/li...et_revival.htm

more criticism

http://www.assistnews.net/Stories/2006/s06040110.htm

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 12:23 AM

Sierra Madre Villa Hotel/nearby Victorian survivors

Quote:
The set of sepia photographs from the turn of the century also included this one of the Sierra Madre Villa.

ebay

we've seen the Sierra Madre Villa before here: (it doesn't resemble the above photograph at all)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11151
ebay

Actually it seems that there is a resemblance, if you just compare the middle or right building in the top photograph with the one in the second pic. Definitely some alterations but overall the form is about the same, I'd say.

And, on the subject of "ruins," there's actually more than just that. The laundry building from the hotel is actually intact, located at 1577 Old House Road, now functioning as a home:

CHRID

I was exploring in the neighborhood of where the Sierra Madre Villa Hotel once stood, and I was surprised to find some intact Victorian houses. I wonder what their histories are, and if they were related in any way to the hotel itself, as they are located extremely close to the site of the hotel. Here's some photos I took of two of the homes, located at 3438 & 3414 Vosburg Street, respectively:

Photos by me

The real estate websites say that the house at 3438 was built in 1889. Totally did not expect to find homes of this vintage in those hills. There were a few others in the area too but they were too obscured by trees to get any good photos.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 12:29 AM
BANNED

My visit to Bonnie Brae house....1995

Quote:
I was going to post about the Azusa Street Revival, then realized I had to start at this small bungalow on Bonnie Brea.

__
Here is the day I visited the Bonnie Brae House. The inside contains a lot of the original furniture. The current owner lives just a few doors south of the house. He didn't want us taking photos of the inside. The floor in the kitchen was very much slanted to the South....I wonder if they have since fixed it. I visited in the Fall of 1995.

DWH photo
This is the view from the Azusa street church original location. This is my photo from 1995.

DWH photo
In this photo we see the minister, William Seymour, at the lower left.

Thanks ER for posting the photos of the Azusa Street Revival of 1906.

This GSV will give you a general feeling for the neighborhood of the Bonnie Brae house at the Left..

GSV

For more detailed information on the Azusa Street Pentecostal Revival, here is a link:

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 5, 2014 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
e_r, you're probably gonna find this hard to believe, but you've spotted another Greene & Greene - again.
Tetsu, that's great, another early Greene & Greene.
I have to say the Greene's sense of design certainly improved over time, of course they could have just been following Mr. Swan's wishes.

Thanks for sharing your insights with us Tetsu. -much appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:22 AM

Into every life rain must fall...a few Swan items:

LAH June 14, 1898/LAT Dec 2, 1898/LAH Feb 17, 1898

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Tetsu, that's great, another early Greene & Greene.
I have to say the Greene's sense of design certainly improved over time, of course they could have just been following Mr. Swan's wishes.

Thanks for sharing your insights with us Tetsu. -much appreciated.
Certainly agree - While I like the Greenes' early works in their own right, it seems that they were, more than anything, conforming to the trends of the day, while still putting their own 'spin' on them.

GaylordWilshire, I'm always amazed at how many of you guys can quickly pull up news clippings pertaining to whatever is being discussed. Great info, albeit a tragic story.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
:

lalaland.blogspot.com
Through these doors....

LAPL
The Hollywood Knickerbocker, 1714 N. Ivar, 1938

April 20th, 1960, Elvis arrives at Union Station and leaves via Taxi. Source describes trip via train to Union Station and then mentions LA Airport. Not clear how or why LAX is involved. http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/..._april_20.html

Captioned as "Los Angeles Airport" Col Parker rides shotgun. ('55 Plymouth Savoy or Belvedere?)
http://photos.elvispresleymusic.com....lifornia_2.jpg

'66 Somewhere on Sunset (?) Elvis and Johnny Rivers
http://s1.postimage.org/dmwbmv9kf/ha...ers_singer.jpg

December 3, 1970, Elvis receives gold Commissioner's badge from Chief Ed Davis

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/cand...ral/hug70x.jpg

Elvis and possibly one of Chief Davis' assistants?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/cand...ral/hug70b.JPG

August '64 - Four Lads from Liverpool pose in front of their temporary Bel Air digs. (Beatle loafers? Not sure about George)
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedi....AuSt.156.jpeg

Last edited by Chuckaluck; Mar 5, 2014 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:

I'm curious about these two building as well.

I think the 7 shaped building is part of the underground parking (I've circled the ramp below).
I wonder what the tall/pylon type sign (in green)
And if this an underground garage, how did this long narrow older building (in yellow) remain standing?

Silly questions I know, but it's fun to truly inspect these photographs.
I found this detail in an earlier (1953) photo. The "7 shaped building" says "Hidalgo Drugs" on the back. The turreted building on the right is the Amestoy Hotel.

Here's part of the Main Street North entry from the 1956 CD.

LAPL

We've seen some of these names before in this picture which was originally posted just over three years ago.

Quote:

Ed Garner L.A.Times

Notice the "Stake Out" Bar next to Rexall's. It was a popular police hangout.
This is the full picture where I found the detail above. It's titled "Aerial view of the Los Angeles Civic Center, looking west and showing a freeway under construction, ca.1953." In the background, the roadway in Court Circle is still intact, but the houses on the south-east side are alreday gone.
NB. I've lightened the USC image.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
April 20th, 1960, Elvis arrives at Union Station and leaves via Taxi. Source describes trip via train to Union Station and then mentions LA Airport. Not clear how or why LAX is involved. http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/..._april_20.html

Captioned as "Los Angeles Airport" Col Parker rides shotgun. ('55 Plymouth Savoy or Belvedere?)

The red star indicates the building seen in your shots, Chuck--"Los Angeles Airport" seems to have just been an assumption on the source's part. The yellow star indicates the Post Office Terminal Annex building....

As for the taxi... it's a 6-cylinder '55 Plymouth Plaza.

Now, if only I could get paid for this....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
1930s: 8423 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills. This was a market and gas station, a pre-cursor to the gas station mini-marts that exist today, perhaps? It could also be a proto-strip mall too.

USC archive

2010: 8423 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills. It is now a Porsche dealership.

Photo by Me

In '37 it appears that this was the location for Bill Davis' Motor Car Dealership.
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics35/00067284.jpg

GW - Thanks for the Plaza assist. Familiar with the engine badging. The "Plaza" may have been memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:49 PM
BANNED

Fly or take the train...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

The red star indicates the building seen in your shots, Chuck--"Los Angeles Airport" seems to have just been an assumption on the source's part. The yellow star indicates the Post Office Terminal Annex building....

As for the taxi... it's a 6-cylinder '55 Plymouth Plaza.

Now, if only I could get paid for this....
The mention of the airport appears to be a typo of some kind. That's the Terminal Annex Post Office in the background with the taxi. Was Elvis afraid of flying? I think I heard that somewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos