HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Oof. Window wall and pre-cast concrete on the Gehry Tower. Value Engineering at it's finest.
Can’t be any worse than Onni projects. 825 Hill & the towers along hope+flower are totally bland and the lack of any substantial covering of podium is disgraceful. The metal looks ok during the day but at night you can clearly see it’s a parking garage which is a total eyesore! Glad this didn’t happen at 825 tho!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:27 AM

Los Angeles has one of the last remaining skylines in the world where the collective high rises elevate to a central peak from multiple views. Looking at most major cities in the world now, they are building in a way that there are many peaks and numerous towers fighting for dominance... OR... One major tower looms over a bunch of seemingly small buildings with no gradual build up.

This is something to appreciate about our city in this unique time.

Downtown Los Angeles, view from 1st Street Bridge. #dtla #conquer_la #conquer_ca #cityscape #night #nightlights #longexposure #skyline #agameoftones #instagood #california #explore #travel #ilovela #minglo #explorw #travel #justgoshoot #wanderlust by Ming Lo, on Flickr

Grand Avenue's Height and scale will help to taper the skyline down in views from the east and west

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 11, 2020 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Oof. Window wall and pre-cast concrete on the Gehry Tower. Value Engineering at it's finest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Yeah, looks awful, but we've known that since the renderings. Probably going to end up being Gehry's worst project.

I'd be living in lala land if I didn't think what is going on throughout major cities around the nation & world was somehow not occurring in dtla too. if gehry's design & the grand avenue proj end up being as weak as you imply, that may be the least of the problems upcoming in the next few yrs.

I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
“Everybody freaked out,” said Carole Husiak, who's lived in Stuyvesant Town-Peter Cooper Village for 28 years. For the first time, she isn’t paying her rent. “My income screeched to a halt," Husiak added.

Stuytown residents say the vast majority of departing tenants left NYC entirely because of the pandemic. Average rental prices fell eight percent from April to May in Manhattan, five percent in Brooklyn and two percent in Queens, according to Miller Samuel Inc.

"We were unable to keep up with all my expenses. My business closed for three months and my income closed for three months,” she told NY1.

Husiak took up the owner’s coronavirus crises offer to pay one month’s rent with her security deposit and defer another month’s payment into the future.

"That made it much more reasonable and took my stress level way down,” said Husiak.

“The moving vans everywhere, all day long… people are running away,” said one resident. “They don’t want to stay, they are afraid [of] the health problems … and the rent is high. People lost their jobs. They can’t pay that rent.”

“Just a lot of furniture moving all around and a lot of furniture being thrown out,” said another.

The tenants association said in March the management company had roughly 150 vacancies listed and now there are more than double that, plus another 150 that aren’t even listed yet.

“I would say there’s a minimum of 500 vacant apartments,” said Steinberg.

“The outbound migration pattern is clearly citywide,” said real estate appraiser Jonathan Miller of Miller Samuel Inc. Miller has tracked the Manhattan vacancy rate for fourteen years and says it’s nearly doubled to 2.88%, the highest he’s ever seen here.

not gonna end on a down note....this isn't legal in the city of LA on july 4th or other days...normally most of this can be seen only at officially allowed firework shows....but the human spirit lives on in spite of killjoy restrictions....maybe that spirit will come though in dtla & that part of LA won't be in a rut for the next 5-10 yrs as it has been during many yrs of the past 60-90 yrs.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:10 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

The materials shown in hughfb3's photos look exactly like what's depicted in this rendering. You don't need to have much imagination to get a good idea of how it will turn out. I agree with ChelseaFC... if you don't like the design in the renderings, then you likely won't like the final result anyway.

redleafny / Instagram

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:25 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

The 39-story tower will rise 522 feet, which is only 55 feet shorter than One California Plaza. It will definitely have a noticeable impact on the skyline when viewed from the north/northeast (the most unflattering angle), if only by virtue of it being a building from this century.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Los Angeles has one of the last remaining skylines in the world where the collective high rises elevate to a central peak from multiple views. Looking at most major cities in the world now, they are building in a way that there are many peaks and numerous towers fighting for dominance... OR... One major tower looms over a bunch of seemingly small buildings with no gradual build up.

This is something to appreciate about our city in this unique time.

Downtown Los Angeles, view from 1st Street Bridge. #dtla #conquer_la #conquer_ca #cityscape #night #nightlights #longexposure #skyline #agameoftones #instagood #california #explore #travel #ilovela #minglo #explorw #travel #justgoshoot #wanderlust by Ming Lo, on Flickr

Grand Avenue's Height and scale will help to taper the skyline down in views from the east and west
^^^
Was the tapering to a central peak (US Bank & Wilshire Grand) planned or just
luck? Seems like luck, since there are a few towers outside of the central peak that have been proposed, like the one proposed on N. Fig. that would unbalance the peak. However given the econ., will it be built? Would love to see the 975 footer on S. Fig. built & a few others like the 700 footer next to 777 S. Fig (the Pelli tower) & Angels Landing. Also hope they get the funds soon to get Oceanwide finished. L.A. has the Olympics going for it, by which time covid should be a distant bad memory & the econ humming again. Let us hope. After the 1918-1919 "Spanish flu"pandemic and a post WW1 recession, the econ. was roaring again by 1923, peaking in 1928-1929. Hopefully we can avoid a second Great Depression.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 11, 2020 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 6:58 AM

I've always said the tapered cluster of towers makes it look like LA's citadel.

Viewing it from the west, for example the top of the Pico/Beverwil hill, especially gives it that look.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
^^^
Was the tapering to a central peak (US Bank & Wilshire Grand) planned or just
luck? Seems like luck, since there are a few towers outside of the central peak that have been proposed, like the one proposed on N. Fig. that would unbalance the peak. However given the econ., will it be built? Would love to see the 975 footer on S. Fig. built & a few others like the 700 footer next to 777 S. Fig (the Pelli tower) & Angels Landing. Also hope they get the funds soon to get Oceanwide finished. L.A. has the Olympics going for it, by which time covid should be a distant bad memory & the econ humming again. Let us hope. After the 1918-1919 "Spanish flu"pandemic and a post WW1 recession, the econ. was roaring again by 1923, peaking in 1928-1929. Hopefully we can avoid a second Great Depression.
I am not sure. Based off of what I've noticed, it is my guess that this is planned. Many towers come and go, are proposed, then adjusted. It is my estimation that a developer proposes something; we see a rendering, then someone (planning commission?) recommends height/visual adjustments based on location and design. We've seen something like this with many proposal adjustments over time.

The Developer's proposal for Angel's Landing; after being selected by the city from a very scrutinous bidding war, got adjusted from two towers of 88/24 floors to 64/46 (was this adjustment visual or economical?). Metropolis, Oceanwide, California Plaza, Grand Ave all cascade in the direction of center. Wilshire Grand's sail reaches inward. Right now we are witnessing the impact the planning commission has with asking Onni to change the look of their Times Mirror Square buildings. Is the height of these Onni buildings coincidence? When looking from the north to the south like in the 3rd picture, those Onni Times Mirror buildings; along with the Tribune tower (which recently got scaled up in height), will fill the cascading void between city hall, Perla, Onni 825 S Hill st 50 story, and the rest of the highrises. Developers rarely think of things like this without guidance.

So I question, is the central peak in our skyline directly from the developers or someone else (planning commission?)?? The art form of curating the visual appearance of a skyline is not practiced in many places around the world. Most places just throw up as many high rises as they can, wherever they can. Is this because we have the most filmed skyline in the world and we want a camera ready cascading skyline with a central rising focal point and a view of a city rising just like the backdrop of Mount Wilson?

However it is happening; I love and appreciate the slope, scale, and pace of our skyline development... and I think we have the best; most visually crafted skyline, in the world

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 12, 2020 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 3:17 PM

Hmmmm... I don’t think anyone from other cities pay attention to the central point of the skyline being the tip or tallest and towers cascading down from it... must be an LA thing?? If that’s planned then don’t expect anymore supertalls since the US bank tower needs to be that tip or point of the skyline like it already is. I actually prefer/like the broad skylines with tall iconic towers peaks jutting from different locations... it’s more organic and not planned. Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Miami, Seattle, Hong Kong, etc all have that look.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 9:23 PM

Am I the only person who finds the skyline view from the northeast completely unappealing? Very blocky! I wish there was a good viewing spot from the southeast... if anyone knows of any cool spots let me know. I can only seem to find it from Palos Verdes Hills.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 9:37 PM

No, you're not. It sucks imo. It hides too many towers.
And it's probably going to be unappealing into the 2030s.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Am I the only person who finds the skyline view from the northeast completely unappealing? Very blocky! I wish there was a good viewing spot from the southeast... if anyone knows of any cool spots let me know. I can only seem to find it from Palos Verdes Hills.
top of parking structures in the fashion district show it very robust.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:09 PM

Looks like they are ripping up the asphalt finally for 8th & Figueroa.

Me and my iPhone

Edit: was able to get the pic hosted

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:33 PM

Awesome, finally. That block is such a hole in downtown.

What are some other prominent parking lots that should bite the dust?
I know there's several, but what really stands out now this and Grand Avenue are moving?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Awesome, finally. That block is such a hole in downtown.

I know there's several, but what really stands out now this and Grand Avenue are moving?
The parking lot across from Pershing square, and the lot behind Gehry's grand ave project

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
Looks like they are ripping up the asphalt finally for 8th & Figueroa.

Me and my iPhone

Edit: was able to get the pic hosted
What are they building there?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
The parking lot across from Pershing square, and the lot behind Gehry's grand ave project
I'll add the two catacorner lots at Olympic/Flower in South Park.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:55 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
What are they building there?
40+ story tower if I'm not mistaken

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
The ne corner of 4th St & hill, where an asphalt lot & taco house #1 has long stood. An apt bldg was supposed to replace much of this, but everything in today's economy has come down with a severe head cold....who knows what's the latest?

the bldg demo permit was finally approved in late april....the plan check approved in may. but devlprs may be really spooked by what's going on throughout LA & the world.

yasabe.com

^ this is south of the formerly busy grand central mkt, so its replacement with an apt bldg would have helped clean up & energize the area. but seems like everything has moved back to square one.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:58 AM

Not necessarily, We're still seeing things moving right along. Grand ave project, the tower at the 7th and fig plaza, the fig and Pico tower and now what seems to be the 8th and fig tower getting ready for site prep. Developers this time around are banking on a "what will happen in 2 years when these come online in 2 years" type deal.

We STILL have a massive housing shortage, I don't see developers walking away just for that reason. Long Beach for instance has a lot going on, a place that always seems forgotten when compared to LA, SD and SF.

I think we all need to just breathe. If you want to have a reassurance moment, take a time machine 23 years back when downtown and LA as a whole had NOTHING going on at all. Nothing, nada. zip. And that was during an OK economy.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 16, 2020 at 2:54 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations