HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I thought that looked a little lean in page count for a master plan. The 2013 update is still linked from the Navy Yard's website and is a good read: https://www.pidcphila.com/images/upl..._Update_lo.pdf

Do you know whether Stern's firm is still involved in plan updates?
no they are not, hence the solicitation from other firms for their plans.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 6:08 AM
Philly Pholly

Very nice.
I find it odd that they place park space on the interior of the development and parking lots along the river instead of waterfront parks. Parking lots can be filled with later development I guess.
They do seem to be creating a street face.
There's a whole lot of surface parking and no mention of transit.
A nice layout tho.
I'm also surprised that there doesn't seem to be any housing.
Not a mixed used development?
It would be a pleasant place to live too.
A bit suburban-like than it needs to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Check out the new Navy Yard Master Plan

It's, pardon my language... pretty fucking incredible. If they pull this off, The Navy Yard will be one of the easily hottest parts of the city. Will definitely need a Broad Street Line expansion for this. The "Historic Core" and the "Mustin South District" in particular look incredibly awesome. Even some 12 to 15-story highrises thrown in there.

Let's hope they can pull this off! I'm hoping this happens, as well as a developed "Stadium District" with housing, hotels, office space, shops, retail, museums and more... and a redeveloped FDR Park... would be pretty incredible.

PDF for new Master Plan:
https://www.pidcphila.com/images/upl...ting_Final.pdf

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 6:34 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Very nice.
I find it odd that they place park space on the interior of the development and parking lots along the river instead of waterfront parks. Parking lots can be filled with later development I guess.
They do seem to be creating a street face.
There's a whole lot of surface parking and no mention of transit.
A nice layout tho.
I'm also surprised that there doesn't seem to be any housing.
Not a mixed used development?
It would be a pleasant place to live too.
A bit suburban-like than it needs to be
Look again — there's quite a bit of housing planned, particularly in the historic core, for these next phases. On the other hand if you're referring to the current lack of residential, it was forbidden until recently under a deed restriction by the Navy. From a 2019 Navy Yard development F.A.Q.:
How does the residential agreement with the Navy impact development in different parts of the Navy Yard?

Earlier this year, after agreeing with the Navy to a process through which the residential deed restriction could be selectively lifted at the Navy Yard, we asked the Navy to approve residential development in the Historic Core, which they did. If we seek to develop residential elsewhere at the Navy Yard in the future—including in the Mustin District—we would follow this same process once a planning process with our new partner(s) has completed. There are parts of the Navy Yard, including areas to the west of Broad Street, where we do not envision future residential development.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:15 AM

It's nice that SEPTA is looking to extending the BSL to the Navy Yard but the only problem is what if the Navy wanted to start operations inside the Navy Yard again? As a former sailor, when 9/11 hit the Twin Towers, the local bus service that went around the airport was cancelled.

It's not so much a bad idea, but the security clearance would have to be granted for such a project. Again, the question is if the USN wanted to resume service. I'd rather see the BSL go all the way to Chester or even the KOP extension that SEPTA seems to be talking about from the NHSL. And if such an extension was about to be made, I'd place the station before the gate of the Navy Yard.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
It's nice that SEPTA is looking to extending the BSL to the Navy Yard but the only problem is what if the Navy wanted to start operations inside the Navy Yard again? As a former sailor, when 9/11 hit the Twin Towers, the local bus service that went around the airport was cancelled.

It's not so much a bad idea, but the security clearance would have to be granted for such a project. Again, the question is if the USN wanted to resume service. I'd rather see the BSL go all the way to Chester or even the KOP extension that SEPTA seems to be talking about from the NHSL. And if such an extension was about to be made, I'd place the station before the gate of the Navy Yard.
I doubt the Navy could resume operations there if they wanted to. they don't own the navy yard anymore. they do maintain a small portion of it, which they lease, but it's not like they'd start building ships there again. and if they did want to restart shipbuilding operations, they could do it under contract to the shipyard.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:11 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
ありがと! 東京わおもしろいですよ!

私わ少し日本語がわかります。私は学んでいます。
McGrathはちょっと日本語を話す物置は知らない。私も日本語を勉強するで今は日本に住んでいる。とても難しい!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 5:52 PM

CHOP @ 690 Schuylkill Avenue

New thread link here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...94#post9208494

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 5:58 PM

CHOP University City Tower

New thread link here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=246089

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
CHOP University City Tower

New thread link here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=246089
Mea culpa Summers, I didn't realize that these buildings were new proposals! I would've made the threads otherwise.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Mea culpa Summers, I didn't realize that these buildings were new proposals! I would've made the threads otherwise.
Haha, you're good!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 11:55 PM

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:54 PM

Virgin Hotels

I hope this will be a high rise project, but they didn't release many details.
Behind paywall: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=4#cxrecs_s
Long and short, Virgin looking at Philadelphia and several other cities for new hotel development. Not much more info than that - no mention of new skyscraper construction or anything, but we can hope.
Great news for a devastated hospitality industry, regardless.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:45 PM
Future World Dictator

Apropos of nothing in particular, it's absolutely crazy to me how much development is still going on. It's fantastic, particularly given all the doom and gloom even just a few months ago.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Long and short, Virgin looking at Philadelphia and several other cities for new hotel development. Not much more info than that - no mention of new skyscraper construction or anything, but we can hope.
Great news for a devastated hospitality industry, regardless.
I didn't see the article, but I know that BPG (of all things Wilmington and The National building in Old City) has teamed up with Virgin Hotels to build them hotels in Nashville and New Orleans in the past few years. I wonder if this is another Virgin-BPG collaboration.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:49 PM
Midrise

Philly skyline will go mostly dark at night starting April 1 in effort to save birds | Inquirer.com
Excerpt:
Some of Philadelphia’s most iconic skyscrapers, such as the Comcast towers, BNY Mellon Center, and the Liberty Place buildings will soon go dark overnight as their owners take part in a program to protect migrating birds from being lethally drawn to the lights.

The new program, called Lights Out Philly, is an effort to prevent bird deaths as they migrate north in the spring and south in the fall, with most flying at night. Birds can become disoriented by artificial lights, causing them to collide with buildings or windows. The lights also throw birds off migration paths, leaving them exhausted and confused, and vulnerable to various other threats.

[snip]

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

So, what are we talking about? Maybe saving a dozen birds? We should stop driving too for a few weeks...just think of how many squirrels and racoons we could save.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:32 PM

Okay, I'll go out on a limb here but I'll say it anyway because I sort of don't care:

Don't most birds fly during the day?

I know Owls fly at night and live in the woods so they don't fly over downtown Philadelphia.

If most birds fly at night then what good is darkening the skyline? Is this about birds or is this about some carbon foot print idea or something other than migratory birds. In the scheme of life's many troubles this seems a bit strange.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
So, what are we talking about? Maybe saving a dozen birds? We should stop driving too for a few weeks...just think of how many squirrels and racoons we could save.
...so you didn't read the article and your not all that good at using slippery slope fallacies, cool.

Quote:
experts say that will still save many from perishing, such as during an Oct. 2 event when an estimated 1,000 to 1,500 birds flew into buildings in a 3½-block radius of Center City overnight. One Audubon volunteer, Stephen Maciejewski, told The Inquirer at the time that it was a “perfect storm” of avian calamity, and suggesting thousands more likely perished elsewhere in the city.
It's only from 12-6a - a time that not many people are out (especially these days) and it's a lot of birds - my guess is more birds flying around dawn than midnight. With those numbers and that late, it's a small act that can make a difference, not a bad thing.

Also, there are already streets in the city that are shut down at certain times for wild life.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/hp/n...ugh-style.html

Last edited by Groundhog; Mar 11, 2021 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 7:21 PM

I don't understand the need for the event as well, but I think it will be an awesome sight to see. The skyline dark like never before, I'll be capturing it because I'm very intrigued in this

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 9:10 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I don't understand the need for the event as well, but I think it will be an awesome sight to see. The skyline dark like never before, I'll be capturing it because I'm very intrigued in this
There's evidence that some migratory bird species are declining at an alarming rate so any little bit helps and if we can save thousands in one night why not? Plus the energy savings as well and it will be neat to see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations