HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:37 AM

So does anyone know when the Flats on 4 South apartments are starting construction?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layrasm View Post
Renderings of the townhomes replacing the older homes on Lincoln that were referenced earlier. And KSL article on group opposing it. Tried to post picture but couldn't figure out how to size it right.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50117069...or-new-complex
Those townhome renderings đŸ€ź

I’m typically in favor of further densifying parts of the east side but not when it’s going to look like that. What are everyone’s thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waimea View Post
...This is random and off topic, but does anyone know what forum region on this website I could find the Las Vegas development forum? There’s so much construction and things happening in Vegas that you’d think there would be discussions about it all. Thanks!
Waimea, Since you're new to the forum you might not have run across the Compilation Thread yet. There are a number of cities that use that particular thread to post on much in the same way that we post here. Las Vegas is one of those cities, and you'll find a lot of great updates there. Also, many other major metros such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Paris etc. I update our own goings-on at that sight simply as the thread suggests, a compilation of projects. A lot of people check in daily just to view the many great pics that the SLC locals take regularly. Here's the link...https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:10 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
So does anyone know when the Flats on 4 South apartments are starting construction?
Not sure but presumably soon. It was approved by the PC a few months ago.

Here's an updated rendering that I'd never seen before (looking southwest) from the architect's website:

IMO, this and The Exchange are a huge step up in terms of street engagement compared to the other recent apartment developments on 400 S around 500 E.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:21 PM

^^^^

In my opinion if a residential building is going to have ground floor retail it can’t be added or designed in as an afterthought, particularly here in SLC. What is posted above is nice and there is a indication that a business might be located on the ground level. We all are aware of some recent missed opportunities on 400s. I noticed a multi level residential building on state near 2100s and there was ground floor retail but you would never know it since the building is all designed the same. Not much indicates a business is there so design is key for it to succeed

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Not sure but presumably soon. It was approved by the PC a few months ago.

Here's an updated rendering that I'd never seen before (looking southwest) from the architect's website:

Looks like its going to have more than one restuarant/retail store on that ground level which is great. It’s very sugarhouse-esque and I’m all
for it

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:42 PM

Hyatt Regency CCH

Glass panels are now being installed on the East side of the CCH too.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:18 PM

https://kutv.com/news/local/photos-m...ury-renovation
by McKenzie Stauffer, KUTV
Tuesday, March 2nd 2021

(KUTV) — Construction on the Larry H. Miller Megaplex Theatres in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah at The Gateway are scheduled to begin immediately.

The luxury renovation is a joint venture between Larry H. Miller Group of Companies and Vestar, owners of The Gateway, to upgrade the movie theater by offering "an experience that is unmatched by at home-streaming," a news release states.

“The project has been on the drawing board for some time, and we’re looking forward to offering our downtown Salt Lake guests an enhanced luxury experience,” Blake Andersen, Megaplex Theatres president, stated in a news release.

Our plan is to have the new Megaplex Luxury Theatres at The Gateway fully operational in time for the biggest Hollywood releases coming in the early summer.

The new Megaplex Luxury Theatres complex will feature heated luxury recliners, in-seat dining, premium snack and beverage service, elegant décor, private meeting and event space, state-of-the-art technology and much more.

"As an anchor tenant and valued partner, we are excited to see Megaplex Theatres deliver the latest trend in the movie-going experience to The Gateway,” Jenny Cushing, VP of Leasing for Vestar, stated in a news release. “As a downtown destination for premier art and entertainment offerings, it’s expected that we remain on the cutting edge."

"We feel that consumers have become accustomed to streaming in their living rooms as a result of COVID, but will be enticed by a more elevated theater experience that cannot be replicated at home. The meeting space component is a thoughtful, exciting addition given the number of businesses in and around The Gateway and our proximity to the Salt Palace, the city’s convention center," Cushing said.

The new Megaplex Luxury Theatres at The Gateway will occupy the same general area as the original Megaplex location that dates back to 2001.

Materials

Renderings

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 4, 2021 at 11:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Chicago also has wide streets. I agree that they need to be more pedestrian friendly but I don't think wide streets are as much of a problem as people think. If nothing else, there are allot of thing we could do with wide streets (adding bike lanes, outdoor dinning, perhaps even developing the medians with retail or residential?) Wide streets could be an advantage.
Okay, sure, but how good have we been at actually utilizing that advantage? Despite that potential advantage, we are way behind so many other cities in pedestrian and bike-friendly infrastructure. I think we're definitely moving in the right direction, but much more slowly than we should be. Having UDOT control so many of our critical downtown through-routes doesn't help.

That makes me wonder, what would the process be for buying up UDOT-owned roads downtown? Would it be too expensive/difficult to be worthwhile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
I think this is a great starting point.

My suggestion would be to expand this concept down to 21000 South.

Not just south, but north as well. What's the point of these improvements if they don't even get to the heart of downtown?

Anybody who has ever used those mid-block crossings in State Street downtown knows how desperately these improvements are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I sympathize with the residents being displaced in this case. As much as I am in favor of dense development, and usually dismiss the concerns of NIMBYs, this is one of the most affordable areas of the city. This is a complicated issue for me that I have yet to truly settle an opinion on, because obviously density - especially in close proximity to transit - is good, but displacing affordable housing such as this is bad, considering the lack of truly affordable housing throughout the city. How can we make progress on housing our lowest-income and recently homeless population when we immediately demolish the housing that they do find?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:26 PM
Space Magi

Looks cool and it's about time they renovated that Megaplex. It's long been surpassed in luxury and amenities by theaters in the burbs. I miss seeing movies at the theater in general and look forward to seeing one there.

That said, I think they could do more with the ceiling heights/lighting in the hallways.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:32 PM

That's the closest movie theater to me now and even before Covid I preferred going to almost any other theater, so I'm glad it's getting a renovation. I look forward to going back to movies soon.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Looks cool and it's about time they renovated that Megaplex. It's long been surpassed in luxury and amenities by theaters in the burbs. I miss seeing movies at the theater in general and look forward to seeing one there.

That said, I think they could do more with the ceiling heights/lighting in the hallways.
I thought the same thing about the hallways. Theater design has been getting really creative lately, so I am a little disappointed they chose the standard 'office building style' ceiling tiles

Here are some quick image examples I pulled from Google of some better designed (in my opinion) theater hallways.

These are all probably asking too much, especially with theaters being such a hurt industry. But one can dream.

p.s. sorry the images are all different sizes. I guess thats what I get for pulling them off of google.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 4, 2021 at 11:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:02 PM

The Megaplex refresh has been sorely needed for a long time. I am glad to see it happening and I like the art deco elements in the renderings but the grid ceiling kills the vibe.
The photos Blah Amazing posted make me less excited about it...but it's probably the most I could expect from them.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
The Megaplex refresh has been sorely needed for a long time. I am glad to see it happening and I like the art deco elements in the renderings but the grid ceiling kills the vibe.
The photos Blah Amazing posted make me less excited about it...but it's probably the most I could expect from them.
On a more positive note, the grid ceiling is inexpensive to install and just as easy and inexpensive to remove.

The movie theater industry is struggling right now, so I understand that they may want to keep investment costs down. But I do hope they choose to update the ceiling when the industry and economy is in a better place.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I sympathize with the residents being displaced in this case. As much as I am in favor of dense development, and usually dismiss the concerns of NIMBYs, this is one of the most affordable areas of the city. This is a complicated issue for me that I have yet to truly settle an opinion on, because obviously density - especially in close proximity to transit - is good, but displacing affordable housing such as this is bad, considering the lack of truly affordable housing throughout the city. How can we make progress on housing our lowest-income and recently homeless population when we immediately demolish the housing that they do find?
I think most of us do sympathize with people in this circumstance, but to kill the development of hundreds of desperately needed units doesn't solve anything. The developer still owns the land and will evict these people regardless, or raise the rates to reflect the market rate for the downtown area, which is as good as evicting them. Unfortunately, the value of land across Utah (and much of the US) has been skyrocketing.

Personally, I think this shows the real danger in renting as a major means of housing in general for our longer term society. Those who rent are essentially powerless. I fear this will continue to widen the divides in our city.

I've always liked Singapore's model for affordable public housing, which encourages home ownership over renting. I really wish something similar could be tried here in the United States.

Video Link

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 2, 2021 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:59 AM

FOX 13 Investigates: Developer blames ‘outdated’ Salt Lake City ordinance for enablin

Video Link

FULL ARTICLE
https://www.fox13now.com/news/fox-13...ling-squatters

By: Adam Herbets

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — Approximately 140 homes in Salt Lake City are currently vacant and boarded up. One of the reasons could date back to an ordinance drafted nearly a decade ago in response to the infamous “Sugar Hole” that set empty in Sugar House for years.

Now, a frustrated Utah developer says the city’s ordinance is outdated and enables squatters.

Irvine Construction and Realty owns three homes on South Washington Street, two of which are boarded up and littered with graffiti. The company has been wanting to demolish the homes for months as it plans to develop a new affordable housing apartment complex.

“It’s been a hassle,” said Dan Scarlet, the company’s CFO. “The boards told the homeless people this is an empty house... We couldn’t demolish these houses without having first get a building permit to build the replacement property.”

Last week, Scarlet returned to one of the properties to find that some of the plywood covering windows to the house had been kicked in. The ceiling appeared charred with multiple large holes. Someone started a fire.

He was visibly frustrated.

“Think of the danger this poses! The fire issues. The drug use. All these sorts of things,” Scarlet said. “I haven’t even been notified yet! So I didn’t even know [there was a fire] until I got here this morning to meet you.

enabling squatters

Approximately 140 homes in Salt Lake City are currently vacant and boarded up. One of the reasons could date back to an ordinance drafted nearly a decade ago in response to the infamous “sugar hole” that set empty in Sugar House for years.

Now, a frustrated Utah developer says the city’s ordinance is outdated and enables squatters.

Irvine Construction and Realty owns three homes on South Washington Street, two of which are boarded up and littered with graffiti. The company has been wanting to demolish the homes for months as it plans to develop a new affordable housing apartment complex.

“It’s been a hassle,” said Dan Scarlet, the company’s CFO. “The boards told the homeless people this is an empty house... We couldn’t demolish these houses without having first get a building permit to build the replacement property.”

Last week, Scarlet returned to one of the properties to find that some of the plywood covering windows to the house had been kicked in. The ceiling appeared charred with multiple large holes. Someone started a fire.

He was visibly frustrated.

“Think of the danger this poses! The fire issues. The drug use. All these sorts of things,” Scarlet said. “I haven’t even been notified yet! So I didn’t even know [there was a fire] until I got here this morning to meet you.”

“There was six or seven people in the basement of that house,” said Orion Goff, the city’s director of building services. “Everybody was able to get out.”

Goff said Salt Lake City Council members have been debating issues surrounding the demolition of vacant houses for more than a decade.

Ordinances have been updated multiple times since 2012, first with the city council choosing to make it more difficult for developers to demolish buildings without a new building permit in hand.

The city council chose to enact the policy in response to a developer that suddenly stopped building after demolishing property in Sugarhouse. The “sugar hole” sat empty for years, beginning in 2008.

“It seems silly to make an entire policy for the whole city over one situation,” Scarlet said, “and 2008 was a financial disaster for a lot of people. It was an anomaly.”

The ordinance was updated in January 2021, making it easier for developers to demolish buildings. The current law allows developers to provide to the city a “letter of assurance” that promises residential units will be replaced on a one-to-one basis.

“It’s not a good situation to have these vacant nuisance homes,” Goff said. “The neighborhood hates those buildings, for obvious reasons.”

Irvine Construction and Realty was ultimately approved for demolition in February. Goff said he accepted the letter of assurance because the developer is replacing three homes with approximately 200 apartment units.

Still, Scarlet said he was frustrated with a cumbersome approval process, not knowing about the letter of assurance until he had been working through the system for months. He said he believes the city’s policies enable squatters.

“I don’t think it was intentional, but we need to change this rule,” Scarlet said. “We need to get this fixed. It’s just backwards.”

Irvine Construction and Realty said it was especially confused how a policy requiring one-to-one replacement of housing units would apply to a boarded-up house, which isn’t inhabitable. Scarlet argued even a vacant lot would be better than an eyesore that attracts squatters.

“You’re making a really good point, but the ordinance does not take that into consideration,” Goff responded. “The city council is very interested in making this right. They’re very focused on affordable housing... Logically thinking, like you’re doing, it’s much better to have a vacant lot than one of these nuisance properties that puts neighbors and first responders in such a bad position.”

Goff said the city’s system worked as planned, in this case, but there is still room for improvement. The city council is currently working with a consultant to draft a new housing mitigation loss ordinance.

“It needs more study, and it needs to be done in its own process,” Goff said. “I would expect in the next few months we’ll have a good idea of what that housing mitigation loss ordinance is going to look like.”

“We need to figure out a way to streamline this process and work with developers to try to rebuild and revitalize the city,” Scarlet said. “They’ve changed the zoning rules in this area to encourage this kind of development. We just need the rest of process to get caught up with the vision they had for this area.”

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 3, 2021 at 7:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:33 AM

The Harvest at Marmalade Apartments in Salt Lake City - Construction Update

Kier Construction posted a photo update of The Harvest at Marmalade Apartments on their facebook page last Thursday.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...93379137359898

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 3, 2021 at 8:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixg View Post
Those townhome renderings đŸ€ź

I’m typically in favor of further densifying parts of the east side but not when it’s going to look like that. What are everyone’s thoughts?
I agree, the proposal looks awful.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 3:44 PM

Kensington

There's a backhoe and a Dominion Energy truck at the Kensington site this morning. Not sure if it has anything to do with the upcoming groundbreaking. Is Kensington still on track to break ground in this June?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:14 PM
Space Magi

First signs of glass on the CCH!

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West