HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Have any plans been released for the old federal building in Harrisburg?
Which building is that?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Walnut Street Bridge, Harrisburg State Hospital and 21 other Harrisburg properties targeted for preservation
https://www.pennlive.com/life/2021/0...outputType=amp
I would love to see the old William Penn High School renovated somehow.. it's so old and massive but I don't know what could go in there that would make the cost of renovations worth it.

There's so many others on that list that deserved to be preserved/reused too because the building style/materials/etc aren't used anymore and we need to protect our old buildings with character!

Also, I would love to see that Cumberland Valley Railroad Bridge turned into a pedestrian bridge connecting the East and West shores! I remember hearing about plans/hopes for doing just that but I think the bridge is somehow owned by three different entities, which would make that much more complicated to achieve..

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
Which building is that?
Technically it is still the current federal building, but it is the office building on the northwest corner of N 3rd and Walnut. I assume the federal government will end up selling it, which I hope will not take years to do.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:57 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Technically it is still the current federal building, but it is the office building on the northwest corner of N 3rd and Walnut. I assume the federal government will end up selling it, which I hope will not take years to do.
I don't feel like taking the time to look up the news articles now, but some of the old news articles talking about the new courthouse mentions that it will be sold and that many of the federal workers are already moving out to other locations

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:00 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
I would love to see the old William Penn High School renovated somehow.. it's so old and massive but I don't know what could go in there that would make the cost of renovations worth it.

There's so many others on that list that deserved to be preserved/reused too because the building style/materials/etc aren't used anymore and we need to protect our old buildings with character!

Also, I would love to see that Cumberland Valley Railroad Bridge turned into a pedestrian bridge connecting the East and West shores! I remember hearing about plans/hopes for doing just that but I think the bridge is somehow owned by three different entities, which would make that much more complicated to achieve..
I was a past owner of one of the buildings that used to be on the preservation list. Having the list is great but there needs to be something more than advocating that the building be saved. Targeting one or two buildings and working with the owners or putting together some sort of investment group that would renovate it would be a far better outcome than how it is structured now.

I was a past board member of HHA, current board member of HARB

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I was a past owner of one of the buildings that used to be on the preservation list. Having the list is great but there needs to be something more than advocating that the building be saved. Targeting one or two buildings and working with the owners or putting together some sort of investment group that would renovate it would be a far better outcome than how it is structured now.

I was a past board member of HHA, current board member of HARB
Completely agree. The list seems like it's purely to bring attention to these properties but like you said, more needs to be done besides just advocating or they won't actually get preserved. That being said, I'm not really sure what that "something else" is...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 8:02 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Completely agree. The list seems like it's purely to bring attention to these properties but like you said, more needs to be done besides just advocating or they won't actually get preserved. That being said, I'm not really sure what that "something else" is...
HHA was a much different organization when it was started in the seventies. It was much closer to what Harristown is today. It was almost a land development nonprofit organization. HHA started as a result of the destruction due to urban renewal and HRA in the wake of Hurricane Agnes.

If you go to Shipoke, there is a roll of homes called pancake row. The early HHA bought them renovated them and resold them so that they wouldn't be demolished as they were falling into disrepair. The did other properties the same way.

The development side is how they ended up running the Broad Street Market for a period of time. Somewhere along the way they lost that drive.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 8:04 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Which building is that?
the Ronald Reagan building downtown that has the post office in is the current federal courthouse.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
HHA was a much different organization when it was started in the seventies. It was much closer to what Harristown is today. It was almost a land development nonprofit organization. HHA started as a result of the destruction due to urban renewal and HRA in the wake of Hurricane Agnes.

If you go to Shipoke, there is a roll of homes called pancake row. The early HHA bought them renovated them and resold them so that they wouldn't be demolished as they were falling into disrepair. The did other properties the same way.

The development side is how they ended up running the Broad Street Market for a period of time. Somewhere along the way they lost that drive.
Very interesting, I did not know that. It's a shame it's not like that anymore.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 6:13 PM

State Archives Building
Photo taken 02/20/2021 on my phone. Some more progress made since my last update. (PS, I didn't take any photos of the Federal Courthouse because there was no visible change to the exterior since my last update.

Harrisburg University Tower
Photo taken 02/20/2021 on my phone. They are again working on a Saturday. Looks like the have installed the base for the crane, which is exciting!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 10:34 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
State Archives Building
Photo taken 02/20/2021 on my phone. Some more progress made since my last update. (PS, I didn't take any photos of the Federal Courthouse because there was no visible change to the exterior since my last update.

6th and Reilly Neighborhood is going to look so different in a year or 2.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 11:49 PM

Three projects in the Midtown area got zoning approvals, so they're closer to actually happening. Looks like all they have left is land development plan approvals.

https://theburgnews.com/news/midtown...o-construction

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 7:14 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Three projects in the Midtown area got zoning approvals, so they're closer to actually happening. Looks like all they have left is land development plan approvals.

https://theburgnews.com/news/midtown...o-construction
land development could be a stickler as midtown residents like to complain about parking, but with the zoning approval I don't think that the board will be able to object.

Some upzoning from RM to CN by 7 Bridges for some HRA property they wanted to buy was scuttled a few years ago over complaints of parking.

If I was a local developer I wouldn't propose any project that wasn't zoned CN.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 3:36 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:

The forget the ownership of the railroad bridge, but the biggest issue with its use is that Amtrak has use of it as a right of way to use when they turn around their trains.

As for William Penn? Schools are notoriously difficult to reuse. HBG missed an opportunity years ago with Harrisburg University. It could have located at William Penn or at Dixon University Center and had loads of room to start up and tons of room to expand. If it had been located at WP it could have been an nice anchor to help jump start reinvestment in the surrounding neighborhoods and the property was already off the tax rolls so it would not have caused a lose in prime real estate taxes like downtown, but I'm sure that wasn't flashy enough for the Reed Administration.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
The forget the ownership of the railroad bridge, but the biggest issue with its use is that Amtrak has use of it as a right of way to use when they turn around their trains.
That's a shame to hear.. almost guarantees it won't ever happen.

Quote:
As for William Penn? Schools are notoriously difficult to reuse. HBG missed an opportunity years ago with Harrisburg University. It could have located at William Penn or at Dixon University Center and had loads of room to start up and tons of room to expand. If it had been located at WP it could have been an nice anchor to help jump start reinvestment in the surrounding neighborhoods and the property was already off the tax rolls so it would not have caused a lose in prime real estate taxes like downtown, but I'm sure that wasn't flashy enough for the Reed Administration.
I've never thought about this but I agree, having HU anchored there would've 100% helped the surrounding area and reused that beautiful old building. Shame that didn't happen as well.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:07 PM
Man on a mission

You get a roundabout and you get a roundabout.

HBG gets a roundabout.

https://www-pennlive-com.cdn.ampproj...-off-soon.html

For the Seventh Street reconstruction project, the city will begin working with businesses between Boas and Reily streets to prepare for construction of the roundabout.

Also, 2nd Street 2 way. I though I'd never live to see that highway dieted...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:11 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:

For the Seventh Street reconstruction project, the city will begin working with businesses between Boas and Reily streets to prepare for construction of the roundabout.

Following links, I don't think I'd seen the site plan of the 7th street redesign before.

https://www.visionzerohbg.com/wp-con...-Track-opt.pdf

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:

HBG gets a roundabout.

https://www-pennlive-com.cdn.ampproj...-off-soon.html

Quote:
Following links, I don't think I'd seen the site plan of the 7th street redesign before.

https://www.visionzerohbg.com/wp-con...-Track-opt.pdf
Exciting to see these two roads narrowed. Hopefully it leads to a more pedestrian friendly HBG.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:24 PM
Man on a mission

Nice rundown of a lot of local projects

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...arrisburg.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Nice rundown of a lot of local projects

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...arrisburg.html
I saw this today too. Good overview. Exciting to see all of the development happening in Harrisburg!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations