HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 6:27 PM

Hawksworth will open a second nightingale location in Yaletown in the old Yaletown Distillery space.

I truly wonder if Hawks signature spot will close down, it desperately needs a reno, its looking very tired.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Lease rate is like 40K a month. And throw in they dumped a ton of money renovating the interior from retail use. Yeah I'm sure they're dying to chip in another few hundred thousand on the exterior.
True but that location will pull in multiple 100ks per month.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Hawksworth will open a second nightingale location in Yaletown in the old Yaletown Distillery space.

I truly wonder if Hawks signature spot will close down, it desperately needs a reno, its looking very tired.
Strange they wouldn’t have coordinated a Reno with Rosewood for the time they’re closing at the beginning of this year.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
What happened to oyster express in chinatown?
Still rockin'!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Still rockin'!
LOL! i gotta swing by!

Oysters are a weird business model for restaurants - raw shucked oysters consume a lot of logistics energy from a restaurant and oysters from different restos are almost indistinguishable to most people. Restaurants have to compete on dining room experience, price point and other food offerings. oyster express hits those, rodney's didn't, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
LOL! i gotta swing by!

Oysters are a weird business model for restaurants - raw shucked oysters consume a lot of logistics energy from a restaurant and oysters from different restos are almost indistinguishable to most people. Restaurants have to compete on dining room experience, price point and other food offerings. oyster express hits those, rodney's didn't, IMO.
Very different business models. Oyster Express only opens for four hours, six days a week.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:

Sorry just to clarify, when you say "I truly wonder if Hawks signature spot will close down, it desperately needs a reno, its looking very tired" are you talking about the first Nightingale restaurant on Hastings, or do you mean the Hawksworth restaurant at the Hotel Georgia? I have never eaten at either, too swanky for my liking, but I have always heard glowing reviews about them both, and still rank highly. I'd think when competing at that high a calibre, being in desperate need of a reno and looking tired would get noticed and criticized. The food world is not known to be kind, so I always assumed the restaurant itself would not look tired, even with good food (if it was supposed to be a hole in the wall with a low brow setting but amazing food, then that would be OK, because it's their style. But to be high end, there's an expectation for a great setting. So far it doesn't sound like anyone's raised an issue of the condition of the restaurant, or that the food somehow masks it? Any smart restaurant would be smart to stay ahead of the curve and update before it becomes outdated, so would always be a positive, but I don't know if it is as sad as you've implied (again, have never been inside, just looked in, so my perception could be way off). So at the very least, they're lucky no one has caught on yet or mentioned it in any reviews so far, because when that happens, it will be hard to react right away

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 4:58 PM

I hope the one in the Hotel Georgia remains. The cocktail lounge has a great happy hour, some good food and drinks for an amount regular plebes can afford.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 5:44 PM

Seems like they have a new operator for the bar in the basement.

Quote:
Scope of Electrical Work: Installation / Repair

Type: Commercial

Primary Location: 801 W GEORGIA STREET, Vancouver, BC V6C 1P7

Specific Location: Basement, Entrance from Howe street

Work Description: Class 2 circuits low voltage: to include audio, video, data and lighting control

Interior alterations of a basement cocktail lounge in the Hotel Georgia. Formally known as Prohibition, for a new operator.

Scope of work includes replacement of interior finishes, seating, lighting. New raised floor areas. No change to plumbing, exits, fire separations.

Type of Work: Renovation

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Sorry just to clarify, when you say "I truly wonder if Hawks signature spot will close down, it desperately needs a reno, its looking very tired" are you talking about the first Nightingale restaurant on Hastings, or do you mean the Hawksworth restaurant at the Hotel Georgia? I have never eaten at either, too swanky for my liking, but I have always heard glowing reviews about them both, and still rank highly. I'd think when competing at that high a calibre, being in desperate need of a reno and looking tired would get noticed and criticized. The food world is not known to be kind, so I always assumed the restaurant itself would not look tired, even with good food (if it was supposed to be a hole in the wall with a low brow setting but amazing food, then that would be OK, because it's their style. But to be high end, there's an expectation for a great setting. So far it doesn't sound like anyone's raised an issue of the condition of the restaurant, or that the food somehow masks it? Any smart restaurant would be smart to stay ahead of the curve and update before it becomes outdated, so would always be a positive, but I don't know if it is as sad as you've implied (again, have never been inside, just looked in, so my perception could be way off). So at the very least, they're lucky no one has caught on yet or mentioned it in any reviews so far, because when that happens, it will be hard to react right away
Specifically Hawksworth, not nightengale.

Furniture is worn is a starting point, the ceiling in the bar area is damaged and looking dirty/old, the washrooms are showing their wear etc. It has been operating since (2011?) so there is naturally a lot of wear after 12+ years. I would suggest a lot of the flaws are hidden at night by low lighting for "ambiance".

Food quality seemed to improve as i'm sure hawk was attempting to garner a michelin star but it is definitely not what it once was, and just hedging a guess that it probably doesn't attract as much of the high end clientele as it used to. It is still one of the best happy hour deals in town.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:

Furniture is worn is a starting point, the ceiling in the bar area is damaged and looking dirty/old, the washrooms are showing their wear etc. It has been operating since (2011?) so there is naturally a lot of wear after 12+ years. I would suggest a lot of the flaws are hidden at night by low lighting for "ambiance".

Food quality seemed to improve as i'm sure hawk was attempting to garner a michelin star but it is definitely not what it once was, and just hedging a guess that it probably doesn't attract as much of the high end clientele as it used to. It is still one of the best happy hour deals in town.
During Covid they said their monthly rent was 50K a month. But agreed I guess if he's in it for the long haul they could probably refresh it a bit.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:

Anyone know if Hawksworth leases the space from Rosewood or directly from the building owner? Given some of their other properties, I would imagine that like CF, Rosewood has pretty high standards in terms of look and upkeep.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:53 PM

Seems independent from all indications.

Quote:
While there was no mandate from the hotel management in terms of how to work together, the chef had his own ideas. “I wanted to build a restaurant where people would feel comfortable coming a couple times a week, [where] the prices weren’t outrageous,” he says, of the 80-seat eatery.

Working under a separate lease, but within the confines of the hotel, Hawksworth’s cuisine is unique.
https://www.hoteliermagazine.com/dul...?cn-reloaded=1

Quote:
Langereis and Hawksworth immediately hit it off and within a month the two signed a deal for Hawksworth to fill the 7,000-square-foot restaurant on the ground floor of the 83-year-old hotel.

Hawksworth’s plans for the facility include a 30-seat bar, 90-seat main dining room and 70-seat private room. There will also be about 26 seats in an adjacent café.
https://biv.com/article/2010/10/georgias-on-his-mind

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Interesting blast from the past. Has Delta Land Development done anything lately? Everything on their website seems a few years old.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 11:13 PM

Quote:
During Covid they said their monthly rent was 50K a month. But agreed I guess if he's in it for the long haul they could probably refresh it a bit.
They must have a sizable nut to crack on a daily basis at that restaurant. To me it makes sense to invest in Nightingale vs Hawksworth. Mildy successful pizza/pasta places print cash so it makes sense if they can get lightning to strike twice. Look at nook and their expansion as a similar situation and their stratospheric growth.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 1:08 AM

White Spot Park Royal is closing down in March. With Shake Shack expanding into Canada this year, fingers crossed, it would be a good spot for them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
White Spot Park Royal is closing down in March. With Shake Shack expanding into Canada this year, fingers crossed, it would be a good spot for them.
Oakridge or downtown seems like the more logical place. That White Spot is horrible in terms of ambience sitting under the parkade.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Oakridge or downtown seems like the more logical place. That White Spot is horrible in terms of ambience sitting under the parkade.
vancouver will get multiple locations, west van suits their customer base and its ready soon.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
vancouver will get multiple locations, west van suits their customer base and its ready soon.
They want to open 35 across Canada in a decade. Seems more likely the first store will be a fagship type store like in Toronto and then it will end up with Vancouver/Oakridge/Metrotown or something similar. We can come back in 3 years and see who was right

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 3:11 AM

Quote:
They want to open 35 across Canada in a decade. Seems more likely the first store will be a fagship type store like in Toronto and then it will end up with Vancouver/Oakridge/Metrotown or something similar. We can come back in 3 years and see who was right
Uh, fagship?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining