HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Ya'll complain about everything.
People seem to forget that these buildings aren't gifts. They must be profitable. Someone in the market (residents in this case) will have to pay the construction costs back.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 2:45 AM

Quote:
This project is great for the area and paired with Toll Bros will make it one of the densest areas in Midtown. Ya'll complain about everything.
Yes, this current crop of towers will be successful as offices and apartments and bring people into areas that used to be weed-filled empty lots, but they fail from a pure aesthetic point of view. Local newspapers used to have architecture critics, but those days are long gone, so there's no one left to teach the general public what to ask for in their built environment, and we fawn over what the latest crane will bring. I dread the development of the Tech Square lot across from the Biltmore. Years ago, there was an article in the AJC calling for that lot to act as a front yard for The Biltmore as a public park. That part of Midtown lacks any green space, and that lot could be a popular place for students to hang out like NYU's Washington Square.

I don't think developers should be getting a pass from this construction cycle. It's obvious from the towers built in the 1980s and 90s that have defined the character of Atlanta's skyline for the last 40-50 years, developers were aiming to make statements about Atlanta's rise as an international city. What statement are developers making now? It seems like they're saying our public transportation sucks, so they have to accommodate half of the square footage to an ugly parking podium that should probably occupy a plot down the block or underground, and the office/apartment component is going to be a bunch of odd window and balcony placements that don't allow for anything resembling symmetry, good proportions, or a nod to the historic architectural vernacular. All the roofs are flat with no cornice treatment let alone a celebratory top. Dare I say they're a high-rise version of a Jeff Fuqua development? I won't say that about Portman's building, but there are plenty of other nondescript examples within a couple of blocks of this development.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 7:01 PM

Atlanta is generally recognized as an international city in 2023, and doesn't have to "prove" itself like it did in the 80s and 90s. The focus has now shifted to creating a more cohesive Urban core, which imo is much more important for the cities continued growth.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 5:28 PM

Quote:
This project is great for the area and paired with Toll Bros will make it one of the densest areas in Midtown. Ya'll complain about everything.
There's a whiney contingent on here that seem to have their self-esteem tied up in how tall a building is....which makes you wonder what they're lacking

I would just ask one of these cry babies to just go pay for a building themselves and build whatever the hell they want it can't be that hard to get a couple hundred million

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Atlanta is generally recognized as an international city in 2023, and doesn't have to "prove" itself like it did in the 80s and 90s. The focus has now shifted to creating a more cohesive Urban core, which imo is much more important for the cities continued growth.
One of the things that help with creating a cohesive core is architecture that at a pedestrian scale reads well and encourages the walker to continue. So far, I'm not impressed with the street presence of anything built on Spring Street in the past five years in the 2 miles from SCAD to Tech Square.

I still maintain we don't need to put up with our background, filler buildings to not look like a bunch of Lego pieces stuck together. I probably took one too many art and architectural appreciation classes in college, so I'm hung up on more classical forms and traditional materials like granite and marble. Maybe the economics will shift as land in Midtown becomes too valuable for cheap design.

Last edited by cparker73; May 6, 2023 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
One of the things that help with creating a cohesive core is architecture that at a pedestrian scale reads well and encourages the walker to continue. So far, I'm not impressed with the street presence of anything built on Spring Street in the past five years in the 2 miles from SCAD to Tech Square.

I still maintain we don't need to put up with our background, filler buildings to not look like a bunch of Lego pieces stuck together. I probably took one too many art and architectural appreciation classes in college, so I'm hung up on more classical forms and traditional materials like granite and marble. Maybe the economics will shift as land in Midtown becomes too valuable for cheap design.
that's kind of the issue, no? we seem to be seeing the best architecture happening in places like O4W and the westside, where land is much cheaper. seems like everything in midtown gets VE'd, and i have to wonder if it's because the cost to acquire land is so high there now.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
that's kind of the issue, no? we seem to be seeing the best architecture happening in places like O4W and the westside, where land is much cheaper. seems like everything in midtown gets VE'd, and i have to wonder if it's because the cost to acquire land is so high there now.
You have a point. Imagine trying to get One Atlantic Center/IBM Tower out of the ground now. A tower designed by a starchitect of the time, Philip Johnson, made with high-quality materials. I've always wondered what went into the site selection for building a tower in the middle of nowhere when Midtown was not the sure thing it is now. I guess it's not that much different than what's going on along the Howell Mill corridor now.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
You have a point. Imagine trying to get One Atlantic Center/IBM Tower out of the ground now. A tower designed by a starchitect of the time, Philip Johnson, made with high-quality materials. I've always wondered what went into the site selection for building a tower in the middle of nowhere when Midtown was not the sure thing it is now. I guess it's not that much different than what's going on along the Howell Mill corridor now.

This pic has so many things... I could see this going up from where I lived in Sherwood Forest. The sheer, almost desolation of this going up in that area was amazing, and it is sad to look at what was the beautiful Campanile Tower going up, and what it had been reduced to today, basically ROTTING from the INCOMPETENCE of John Dewberry. This area today is a different world from the difference of that pic.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 2:25 PM

Campanile is seeing progress though. It was dead for a while but it seems to be going forward again.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
Campanile is seeing progress though. It was dead for a while but it seems to be going forward again.
Yea, here is a little biyearly update pic. All the external glass and facade have finally been removed. Still slooooow as hell. Will probably need a volunteer to take over the biyearly updates is a couple of decades or so.

EDIT: Damn, just realized this is the wrong thread and so far OT. So here is an OT pic taken from Marietta St.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 4:06 PM

From State St on GA Tech.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 3:08 PM

Sora at Spring Quarter

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 8:29 PM
i ain't no bubba

From AJC.com:
Quote:
Multiple people have suffered non-life-threatening injuries in a partial crane collapse at a construction site in Midtown Atlanta on Monday, police said.

The incident happened at 1020 Spring Street, Atlanta police said. The construction is at the site of a planned residential tower at the corner of Spring and 10th streets.
The article stated most of West Peachtree at 10th was closed. That's a full block from the Portman project. I wonder if this was actually the 1018 West Peachtree project.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 9:33 PM

I believe it's Sora on Spring. Either way, I'm unable to get to my apartment. Happy Monday!

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 10:30 PM

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 10:47 PM

Hmm, did a load "just" fall? The cranes all appear to still be up based on the Star Metals cam although that damage looks like it is near the bracing.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiffTheFox View Post
Hmm, did a load "just" fall? The cranes all appear to still be up based on the Star Metals cam although that damage looks like it is near the bracing.
The counterweights fell off the crane. Glad the injuries are non-life threatening.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
The counterweights fell off the crane. Glad the injuries are non-life threatening.
Anything new on the accident? Thanks.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Anything new on the accident? Thanks.
Streets still blocked off (Saturday).

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Anything http://https://www.google.com/search...&bih=522&dpr=3new on the accident? Thanks.
sure, search google news and you’ll see all the reports since date of incident.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta