HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 5:58 PM

What's that you think I'm scared and running away from your answer?

The taxpayer had to pay for it because the taxpayer wanted the floodway expanded. That's pretty straight forward. That's CN mainline by the way, so of course they need the bridge. Maybe part of the deal was for CN to dispose of the girders from their old bridge? I don't know for sure. But when someone wants something, they have to give something.

You know sixteen girders by name because you built them in 63'? Like girder 1 and girder 2?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 2:56 PM

In the past few days speed bumps were added to Bournais and Rougeau by the school.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
In the past few days speed bumps were added to Bournais and Rougeau by the school.
I drive that way every morning. It never ends there. Seems like there's been crews working there ever since the closure of Plessis.

So they've now added:

Speed bumps on Bournais.
Speed bumps on Rougeau.
Raised crosswalks all 4 ways at Bournais/Rougeau intersection.
Raised crosswalks at Bournais/Hatcher pedestrian crossing.
Electronic speed sign for traffic going northbound on Bournais.
And various other signs telling you to drive like a sane person.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I drive that way every morning. It never ends there. Seems like there's been crews working there ever since the closure of Plessis.

So they've now added:

Speed bumps on Bournais.
Speed bumps on Rougeau.
If the City was going to be practical, they would have added another lane to the west side of Bournais.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
If the City was going to be practical, they would have added another lane to the west side of Bournais.
Yeah, they left room for the second set of lanes there. I'm going to assume that will never happen as the school is the end all, be all around there.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 8:51 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Yeah, they left room for the second set of lanes there. I'm going to assume that will never happen as the school is the end all, be all around there.
As it should be... It's a residential neighbourhood, not a commuter corridor.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
As it should be... It's a residential neighbourhood, not a commuter corridor.
Come on, freeways everywhere!

I kid, I kid. This location I can agree to that.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 8:41 PM

That was one street that was really misaligned from the word GO. District 4 and 5 never could get together on co-planning issues. Case-in-point was the new Police station was proposed to be built on Panet (Goodlife site), but because it was out of St. Boniface, no deal. Off it went to S/S Dugald Rd. which appears to be a much better site.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
That was one street that was really misaligned from the word GO. District 4 and 5 never could get together on co-planning issues. Case-in-point was the new Police station was proposed to be built on Panet (Goodlife site), but because it was out of St. Boniface, no deal. Off it went to S/S Dugald Rd. which appears to be a much better site.
I thought the change in location (and I agree it is a better site) was because Russ Wyatt made more noise in getting the new location than the councilors from St. B, Ek or Nk.

He kept saying his constituents were not going to a police station that was not close to them and he got his way. The way he kept talking was like the officers all sat around in the station waiting for calls and if there was a call they could be in Transcona in seconds.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 4:10 AM

Had to wait for a train on Ravenhurst just before Dugald today...wonder if they have a deal for the right-of-way?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 11:55 AM

Not sure if its a deal for priority but most rail lines are considered "senior" as they were in place before most roads were build.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:

So they've now added:

Speed bumps on Bournais.
Speed bumps on Rougeau.
What was the point of adding that diagonal sidewalk on either side of rogeau at bornais? Can't figure out the point of it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What was the point of adding that diagonal sidewalk on either side of rogeau at bornais? Can't figure out the point of it.
To save the kiddies some steps, so they could bring in a new physical education program in to the school.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:21 PM

I really don't know. Seems like a lot of money to be spending for no reason. Like little1 says, saves a few steps.

Of course there's more traffic through there. But not sure what raised sidewalks, etc will do to stop that. Does anyone know if there's been problems there since Plessis closed?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 4:48 PM

Thursday morning, the roadway looked like a parking lot when TWO trains decided to tie up Bournais for about 20 minutes. Those guys in the Edmonton CN control center just like to screw up Winnipegger's, just like they do with the weather reports. I clocked a freight coming in from the East at 9:15 this morning, coming through the East yards at 75 KPH, what the hell was he thinking?

At one time trains were a welcomed sight, as they brought 'newness' from the East, i.e. dry goods, mail, cars, steel, etc and took the West's bounty, wheat, grains, coal and oil to the markets in the East. The shrill of the steam whistle cut through the ice cold silence of the ice cold prairie landscape and chugga-chugga- chug of the steam engine echoed out as the engine crested a steep grade on the ribbon of steel under its wheels.

Nowadays, trains are obnoxious, noisy, and disrupt people's lives. The long endless lines of Chinese containers are a grim reminder to people who have lost there jobs in manufacturing plants throughout Canada. Canada has quickly become a warehouse nation. Sending its natural resources out to other nations to be manufactured, using cheap labour, and being sent back to be sold in the walmart's that infiltrated the now defunct local Mom and Pop stores prior market areas. A quick scan in stores today tells you of the origin of the products with its alphabet-soup names listed on the labels. Canada is not the once proud growing nation it once was, instead it has sunken itself into the abyss of self-destruction, welfare, and compromise.

Before I get off my soapbox, one question; Did you put on your Poppy today? and what does it represent to you?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:08 PM

This morning when I drove through Rougeau and Bournais, a thought came to mind about the diagonal sidewalk thing. Since they have right of way for the second set of lanes, there was a large distance for cars on eastbound Rougeau to travel from a stopped position. The old sidewlak was placed as far west as possible. So when cars stopped, they were quite far back from the actual intersection. Which takes more time to get cars through, leaving people on Bournais waiting longer. Might sound like peanuts, but there's a lot of cars queued up there.

Also for traffic coming the other way (heading westbound on Rougeau), it was a large distance for people to clear the intersection, with the potential for drivers to miss people crossing the street at the sidewalk. So potential for people to have enough room to speed up, then potentially hitting a child crossing the street.

My thoughts on the diagonal sidewalk, if it makes any sense to you. It is easier intersection to navigate now, IMO. Ignoring the raised sidewalks which create a bit of a rollercoaster effect when turning.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:07 PM

UNDERPASS
Winnipeg, Division No 11 MB NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE
Reddit Subdivision Underpass, Reddit Subdivision at Plessis Road
$5,000,000 est
Start: January, 2014 Complete: January, 2015
Note: Engineering design is complete. Owner has issued tender for general contractors for Construction of grade for CN rail shoofly and north track realignment, including Utility crossings under CN rail shoofly and existing track, and miscellaneous wastewater sewer, water main and land drainage works, followed under report number 9179425. Tender for engineering contractors for rail track construction followed under report number 9182632 has been awarded. Further tender for engineering contractors for underpass and pumping station construction are anticipated late 2013/early 2014.
Project: construction of an underpass. The project will include construction of a rail structure and underpass with a pumping station.
Scope: 2 structures
Development: Engineering
Category: Bridges; Railroads; Sewage & Water plants

First report Mon Apr 16, 2012. Last report Wed Oct 09, 2013.
This report Fri Nov 01, 2013.

Hmmmm..

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 3:09 AM

Good deal!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 7:29 PM

Looks like the project is going to be $5 million dollars over budget and at least 9 months behind schedule due to a funding disagreement with CN rail says Russ Wyatt in a report with CBC Manitoba.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...a-5m-1.2418517

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 8:40 PM

It's another pissing contest. CN is being bitchy cause they don't want to pay for anything. Yet they will have improved operations and safety (which is what a railway strives for) at a minimal cost. And it will basically last forever. When the structure needs to be re-built, they will have yet another pissing match until the bridge falls down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan