HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 12:12 AM

I do the downtown to DTC reverse commute every day, so anything, even a 1% improvement, would be worthwhile for me
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:21 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
I do the downtown to DTC reverse commute every day, so anything, even a 1% improvement, would be worthwhile for me
Just don't get off at Arapahoe. I really wanna know how CDOT is rebuilding that intersection.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:23 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Are transit riders even safe using Denver Union Station or are they just rolling the dice? Does anyone know anything about THIS.
"Rolling the dice." That's laughable. You are FAR more likely to die in a car crash on any highway in America than in a terrorist attack, be it in a train station or elsewhere.

You're rolling the dice every time you get behind the wheel. If you want to make yourself safer, build more train stations so you don't have to drive as often.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post

From 2018 it will be no changes on the new elizabeth 26 mile university of bath crossrail line
How right (and witty) you are

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:27 PM

Photo: KATHLEEN LAVINE | DENVER BUSINESS JOURNAL

"The Top 10 Most Bikeable Downtowns"
May 17, 2016 by Keena Bean - Redfin
Quote:
These cities are doing the most to make biking to work safe and convenient
  1. Center City West, Philadelphia
  2. El Presidio, Tucson
  3. Downtown, Austin
  4. Downtown, Denver
  5. Downtown, Portland
  6. Old Louisville, Louisville
  7. Downtown, Washington, D.C.
  8. Downtown, San Jose
  9. Downtown, Indianapolis
  10. The Loop, Chicago
“We have many clients who have relocated to Denver, in part, for its bikeability. Denver has more than 20 miles of bike lanes in downtown alone and 85 miles of paved trails throughout the city connecting the central business district to many of Denver’s most popular neighborhoods. With over 600 bike racks downtown and the ability to transport your bike on both our Light Rail and Regional Transportation District bus systems, the city makes it easy and convenient to commute by bike,” said Redfin agent Megan Leddy.
Denver's #1 Bike Fan

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Just don't get off at Arapahoe. I really wanna know how CDOT is rebuilding that intersection.
From what I read, the freeway experience will remain the same (no added lanes), but I assume the bridge needs to be longer to accommodate more lanes on Arapahoe underneath the fwy. I never get off there, so I'm not familiar with what the problem is.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:58 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Are transit riders even safe using Denver Union Station or are they just rolling the dice? Does anyone know anything about THIS.
This is such a laughable pandering to the cowardly saps you find at a Tea Party rally, or a Donald Trump rally that it's pathetic.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
This is such a laughable pandering to the cowardly saps you find at a Tea Party rally, or a Donald Trump rally that it's pathetic.
I really couldn't speak for Alan Levin, Bloomberg but you could tweet him @ https://twitter.com/AlanLevin1 and ask him.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:40 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
I really couldn't speak for Alan Levin, Bloomberg but you could tweet him @ https://twitter.com/AlanLevin1 and ask him.
Nah. Why crowd the internet with more mindless drivel and ill-informed comments?

Anyway, you're the one who framed it as "rolling the dice" so I should be asking you what your motivation was.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Anyway, you're the one who framed it as "rolling the dice" so I should be asking you what your motivation was.
I wanted to see how many would bite on the bait. That EngiNerd was way too smart for that, just as I had suspected.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 2:59 AM

All Photos courtesy: Front Porch Stapleton - A Line Opening / Last two photos by Catherine Barkley Photography

"Time to ride! A thank you from RTD and its contractor"

Eagle P3 Project Quarterly Newsletter: April-July 2016 - RTD/FasTracks
Quote:
The year 2016 has finally come. A year when RTD will open up five transit lines - something that has never happened in the world of public transportation. The entire RTD Eagle P3 team and its contractor, Denver Transit Partners, want to thank all of you for your patience and excitement during the last five years of construction.
Seven (7) pages long if you'd care to check it out.

Last edited by TakeFive; May 19, 2016 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 2:48 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
I wanted to see how many would bite on the bait. That EngiNerd was way too smart for that, just as I had suspected.
FYI intentional trolling is explicitly against the forum rules.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 3:06 PM

Politico has a nice article out about Denver development and the Airport train. The headline is a little over the top - the Airport train did not "Save Denver". It's a great addition and will fuel future growth, but the City was "saved" long before the train was even approved.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...-growth-213905

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 6:36 PM

Perhaps not the ideal thread for this but...

My fellow Denverites,

If you're planning on going anywhere near downtown in a car, don't do it. I just spent a ridiculously long amount of time trying to drive from Jefferson Park through downtown to City Park West. I was trapped on one block of Speer for about 20 minutes at one point. I would only get to move my car about one car length every second or third green light. It was that bad. I finally got to a sign that said Speer is closed at Stout from 5/19 to such-and-such date - not just some lanes or most of the lanes, but all of them. Speer: closed. No Speer.

When I finally escaped that traffic jam I found myself winding all over downtown looking for a street that didn't have a traffic jam on it to no avail. At one point I ended up on Broadway hoping to eventually make a left on 17th, and got stuck in another ridiculous traffic jam. This one wasn't quite as bad as Speer; I actually got to move my car a couple car lengths every green light. As I got closer to 17th I realized Broadway is also closed - not some of the lanes or most of the lanes, but all of them. No Broadway.

Anyway, I'd avoid downtown for a while (unless some alternate mode of transportation is convenient for you of course).

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 7:14 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Perhaps not the ideal thread for this but...

My fellow Denverites,

If you're planning on going anywhere near downtown in a car, don't do it. I just spent a ridiculously long amount of time trying to drive from Jefferson Park through downtown to City Park West. I was trapped on one block of Speer for about 20 minutes at one point. I would only get to move my car about one car length every second or third green light. It was that bad. I finally got to a sign that said Speer is closed at Stout from 5/19 to such-and-such date - not just some lanes or most of the lanes, but all of them. Speer: closed. No Speer.

When I finally escaped that traffic jam I found myself winding all over downtown looking for a street that didn't have a traffic jam on it to no avail. At one point I ended up on Broadway hoping to eventually make a left on 17th, and got stuck in another ridiculous traffic jam. This one wasn't quite as bad as Speer; I actually got to move my car a couple car lengths every green light. As I got closer to 17th I realized Broadway is also closed - not some of the lanes or most of the lanes, but all of them. No Broadway.

Anyway, I'd avoid downtown for a while (unless some alternate mode of transportation is convenient for you of course).
I think RTD is rebuilding the light-rail tracks across Speer.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Ah.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 9:34 PM

Quote:
As someone whose vehicle has essentially no shocks and inverted leaf springs, this couldn't come soon enough. That crossing was getting embarrassing.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 9:39 AM

Quote:
I never really understood why there was the big lump (sic) when travelling towards Cherry Creek but no problem coming back. I guess we will no longer have the hilarity of people in Humvees inching across the tracks.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 3:12 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwk View Post
As someone whose vehicle has essentially no shocks and inverted leaf springs, this couldn't come soon enough. That crossing was getting embarrassing.
What's embarrassing is that intersection/crossing still being at-grade.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 9:36 PM

What the fuck is going on with the train service today?
The train was 10 minutes late, made stops before some of the at grade crossings, the AC is out and it's at least 90 degrees on here. The display screen has a Windows XP error message on it and it's saying were going the opposite way. What a nice way to introduce my wife to riding the train.

Last edited by The Dirt; May 21, 2016 at 10:09 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West