HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
$200+ Million for CCW pails in comparison to the 15 Billion lost for not having the area ready to take on new industrial clients. Their are 27 already their at this time.

No there aren't.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
No there aren't.
While 27 companies have opened new or expanded business facilities on 150 acres within CentrePort, further development of large-scale operations has hit a snag.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our...202119431.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 10:17 PM

Better quality image of Headingley Bypass

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=30144

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Quote:
rebuilding the southwest Perimeter Highway with interstate standard interchanges to create a high-speed free-flowing roadway to accommodate the increasing economic activity and truck traffic that comes with the opening of CentrePort Canada Way
Hey look, they said interstate standard interchanges instead of interstate standard flood levels this time. I'm pretty blown away...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
While 27 companies have opened new or expanded business facilities on 150 acres within CentrePort, further development of large-scale operations has hit a snag.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our...202119431.html
You still believe a goddamn thing our government tells us? Nobody has built shit in centreport.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:08 PM
Heart of the Continent

Centreport includes the land at the northwest corner of Brookside and Inkster, so yes, they did.

Last edited by jmt18325; Mar 11, 2014 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Hey look, they said interstate standard interchanges instead of interstate standard flood levels this time. I'm pretty blown away...
Me too! They also said this:
Quote:
and will support the creation of a common-use rail facility at CentrePort, our next major project.
Which I'll be watching closely.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Not shelved, being redesigned. They are looking at the intersections of Birds Hill Rd and Garvin Rd as well. Grade separations for everyone!!!

Either way It will likely just end up being not as elaborate with so many bridge structures......the last design had 7 bridge structures. I am hearing as long as the new design works out it should be fast tracked - the funding is still apparently allocated for it.
Garvin as well! Wow, I was looking at that when the design came out back in 2012. Freeway from Perimeter to 44. Getting to Garvin is a huge step. Only a couple more diamonds and you could get to 44.

So do you know if the fly over is maintained at 59/101? If so. It is likely going over 101, as opposed to under it. Going from 7 bridges down to 5 in total. Freeing some up for Garvin and 202!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

You still believe a goddamn thing our government tells us?

Nobody has built shit in centreport.
Yes sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't.

Yes they have, I'm sorry posters have had to add facts, to your posts.

Oh on another note, If you disagree with a poster keep the anger BS you spew to yourself.

Move CentrePort discussions to this Thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=157955

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Centreport includes the land at the northwest corner of Brookside and Inkster, so yes, they did.

I'm well aware of that. But making the boundaries of centreport include businesses that already existed doesn't mean businesses are flocking to centreport. It'll take actual new construction of actual new businesses before I buy this load of garbage. CP is just another sham like Smart Park: government pumps money into a cruddy suburban business park and then fellate themselves and tells everyone they built Rome in a day. Maybe you can decipher what people garble around mouthfulls of their own cock, but I sure can't.

Actually, scratch that. I know you can't. You hear the gurgling the same as me but take for granted that there's some kind of truth behind it all.

Cyro, nobody's angry. I mean, I'm angry about how this province and city are run. I'm angry about how they lie to us. I guess I'm angry you're falling for it. But I know I'm not mad at you, brother.

Anyway, here's a map of centreport, so we're all clear on the facts. Yes, there are businesses in centreport. And, as jmt pointed out, they're along Brookside. But they already existed. The claim that 26 businesses opened or expanded in centreport is as empty as our provincial government's claims about how they're going to spend 99999999999999999 dollars on infrastructure in the next 3 days--that money was already in place, just like those businesses were.

Maybe I'm fundamentally wrong in how I understand the world works, though. Maybe the entire Perimeter Highway is brand-fucken-new because White Elephant Way is new and connects to it. Maybe if Perkins changed their name I wouldn't notice they serve the same garbage-ass food. Maybe I would fuck a pig if you put lipstick on it.

Maybe. But I think I'm right on this one.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:05 PM
Heart of the Continent

It's the area north of what you see on the satellite image. Take a drive...or just keep belittling people, your choice.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:49 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

So do you know if the fly over is maintained at 59/101? If so. It is likely going over 101, as opposed to under it. Going from 7 bridges down to 5 in total. Freeing some up for Garvin and 202!
The whole interchange is basically back to square one. They are looking to see where they can cut some costs to spend on the other possible interchanges at Birds Hill and Garvin (this is a good thing). I would much prefer to see a functional but downgraded 59/100 so that we could get 2 more grade separations at the other sites.

So to answer your question about layout, I really can't say because nothing is defined yet.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Water/Sewer issues delayed all that is CentrePort. I'm still stinging due to the loss of a potential $15 Billion Data Center. Remember Google. The infrastructure was NOT in PLACE to proceed. It has apparently now been solved or is in the process of being solved..

$200+ Million for CCW pails in comparison to the 15 Billion lost for not having the area ready to take on new industrial clients.
I don't want to argue, but I would like to clarify this statement a little.

It was Facebook and the total project budget was estimated at $1.5 billion. Water was an issue but not the reason they lost out on the bid. The final winner from Ohio or Iowa (cant remember who) gave entirely too much in incentives that Manitoba couldn't compete with. I talked to numerous people involved with the negotiations and they said that Manitoba really did offer everything they could. The state awarded, pretty much paid Facebook to locate there, so much that Facebook really had no choice. Manitoba/Winnipeg was apparently down to almost the last signature away from getting it.

I agree it was a big loss but good to know that the capital region was really that close to getting it in the first place. I feel that this attempt should make it feasible in the future to hopefully win other sizable future projects.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Mar 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:38 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Data centres are not big employers anyway. Operations and much of the maintenance can be done remotely from anywhere in the world. They are pretty much a lights-out operation. Only a few people are needed locally for physical hardware replacement etc.

Of course they are huge power consumers, and I'm sure most of those negotiations would be around getting that electric power for free.

I don't see why a data centre needs an expressway nearby.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The whole interchange is basically back to square one. They are looking to see where they can cut some costs to spend on the other possible interchanges at Birds Hill and Garvin (this is a good thing). I would much prefer to see a functional but downgraded 59/100 so that we could get 2 more grade separations at the other sites.
The province released a plan a couple of years ago outlining upgrades to 59 from 101 to 44. I recall that it included provisions for those interchanges as well as turning part of the road to 6 lanes from the Perimeter to at least Garven Road, maybe farther. (That would make it the first significant stretch of 6-lane road in Manitoba.)

I wonder how MIT will downgrade the 59/101 interchange, though? The plan calls for a basic cloverleaf modified to incorporate the existing EB to NB ramp... eliminating the EB to NB ramp would let MIT build a standard cloverleaf with only 3 bridge structures, but there would certainly be costs associated with dismantling that EB to NB ramp and replacing it with a cloverleaf ramp.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
It's the area north of what you see on the satellite image. Take a drive...or just keep belittling people, your choice.
Much of that land to the north is in the RM of Rosser, how does having businesses located outside Winnipeg but primarily using Winnipeg's roadways benefit Winnipeg again?

It's a pretty weak argument for pouring (flushing) more money on roadways for centreport until more business are actually willing to locate there, let me guess the NDP's argument for doing so, "we ALMOST had a major business set up here so lets spend yet even more money ($150M) on Centre Port Way as a sign of good faith for the companies who DON'T want to locate here"! Makes a lot of sense.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:48 PM
Heart of the Continent

This is within Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:59 PM

Everything West of Brookside is out of city limits

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:11 PM
Heart of the Continent

Really? I thought the city owned a small piece of it p, south of Little Mountain Road, or whatever it is.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

Also, to add, the new roadways are not Winnipeg's roadways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan