HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 6:22 PM

Don Pedro's followed the usual trajectory of large independent restaurants with modest marketing budgets... start big and pack 'em in by word of mouth, then the crowd gradually drifts away to the latest and greatest. I'm sure it'll be replaced by something else soon.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 7:50 PM

DP was always busy for lunches, it was decent food but nothing great. When they flooded last year it took them a long time to reopen, a buddy that worked there said they considered just shutting down then... so maybe they wanted to make some money from the patio this summer... It's odd they wouldn't wait it out til fall.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:43 PM
Aspiring.

So there's paper up in the windows in the space next to Bronuts; driving by, the sign looked to say that 'Chosabi' is coming soon.
Is this an offshoot of the Wasabi brand or is this a whole new thing, maybe the rumoured spot by the Enoteca/Deseo dude?
Anybody?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 2:42 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
So there's paper up in the windows in the space next to Bronuts; driving by, the sign looked to say that 'Chosabi' is coming soon.
Is this an offshoot of the Wasabi brand or is this a whole new thing, maybe the rumoured spot by the Enoteca/Deseo dude?
Anybody?
I believe it is Wasabi
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:14 PM

It's Wasabi

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:15 PM

Just paid six bucks for a loaf of country rye from la belle baguette, an ungodly sum for a pensioner. C'est la vie... (It's great).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:52 PM
BANNED

A couple new openings.

Something called Soul Sol opened at 222 Osborne. more information here: http://www.pegcitygrub.com/tag/sous-sol-winnipeg/

another cocktails/small plates place opened at 651 Corydon called the Roost https://instagram.com/theroostwpg/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 9:55 PM

Georges burgers and subs opening in the former Tims on south side of regent.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:10 AM
▓▒░

I liked Don Pedros but I recall a condescending quip in their menu regarding healthcare in Canada. I asked the waitress and she said the owner was from Las Vegas. The food was good, the mojito was tasty, and the interior was fabulous, I just found that quote in the menu strange. No big loss for me.

I've been to a few restaurants in the city lately, and now that I'm living here I'll be going to a few more during the school year.

Cornerstone looks like shit on the outside. So bad that I figured it was Boston Pizza-esque. The interior layout and decoration is unpleasant too, but the menu was surprisingly frou frou and the drinks were amazing. Probably won't go back.

Speaking of cheap looking, Confusions Bar & Grill was a big let down. What an underwhelming restaurant for such a unique location. I had a Rueben sandwich I think and a half-assed mint julep which the waitress didn't know how to make despite having a smartphone and access to a large and attention-grabbing bar. Won't be going back.

The Grove was a bit of a disappointment only because it was really hyped up. The food was tasty and the drinks were great. My date was a brat too so it kinda ruined the impression, but I'll be going back.

YO THAT COKE FREESTYLE AT WENDY'S IS AMAZING. The only one I've seen is at Kenaston Crossing is there another one?? I've heard about them in the states is this a pilot project? I was dazzled.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS_rls View Post

YO THAT COKE FREESTYLE AT WENDY'S IS AMAZING. The only one I've seen is at Kenaston Crossing is there another one?? I've heard about them in the states is this a pilot project? I was dazzled.

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/fi.../#map:winnipeg, mb|25

So far Coke Freestyle is at
Wendy's (King Edward, Kenaston, St Mary's, Beaverhill, McPhillips)
Qdoba (Kenaston)
Landmark Theatres (Grant Park)
Za Pizza Bistro (St Mary's)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS_rls View Post
It seems like the existing locations are being retrofitted with them over time. It would be surprising if the under construction location on Portage west of Sturgeon didn't have it at opening. Coke is likely heavily pushing it to locations as they do their contract renewals. I am actually surprised that style of system hasn't made its way heavily to 7-11 and Macs Circle K stores.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:28 PM
the first stamp is free

I remember seeing a Coke Freestyle for the first time at Qdoba in Grand Forks a couple years ago. It blew my mind.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It seems like the existing locations are being retrofitted with them over time. It would be surprising if the under construction location on Portage west of Sturgeon didn't have it at opening. Coke is likely heavily pushing it to locations as they do their contract renewals. I am actually surprised that style of system hasn't made its way heavily to 7-11 and Macs Circle K stores.
I think 7/11 owns their own machines so they may not be in any hurry to replace them with more expensive new ones. They may show up in new stores but 7/11 other than the new one by the airport last year has not been building new stores in Winnipeg

Last edited by cllew; Oct 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM. Reason: grammer

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I think 7/11 owns their own machines so they may not be in any hurry to replace them with more expensive new ones. They may show up in new stores but 7/11 other than the new one by the airport last year has not been building new stores in Winnipeg
caugh caugh theres a new 7/11 on pemida in the old taco bell south of pancake house a couple blocks or so
and a new one on salter

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:17 AM

So Pal no longer looking to move into old 4play space.

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2015/10/09/...-open-downtown

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
caugh caugh theres a new 7/11 on pemida in the old taco bell south of pancake house a couple blocks or so
and a new one on salter
your right, one of my friends lives off of the other side of Pembina from it I see it every time I leave their place.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
So Pal no longer looking to move into old 4play space.

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2015/10/09/...-open-downtown
Personally, I hope this place doesn't relocate anywhere and just fade away into history. That place was and always will be trash city.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Personally, I hope this place doesn't relocate anywhere and just fade away into history. That place was and always will be trash city.
It must kill you inside to know that you live in a city where the Pal is easily the most successful nightclub we've ever had and there isn't another one even close. Except for maybe the Silver Spike in Transcona. Which also probably kills you.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 6:11 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Lots of people enjoy The Pal. It is the best singles spot in town and has been for 25 years.

If you don't like it, don't go there. Sheesh.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 7:55 PM

He doesn't want downtown, fair enough. Where then would a venue like this relocate to?

One of the suburban hotels like the Canadd Ins chain would work for the large free parking he wants but they already have their own nightclubs. I can't see it working in the Curtis , Nor Villa or Concord to name a few as they are all smaller places.

Does he want to take a chance on building a custom building somewhere or does he wait for another Earl's or one of the similar ones to fold and take that building over?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan