HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 1:24 PM

future railside developments will include significant green space which I would like to see oriented towards a redeveloped stage, creating a large bowl effect. that would be very cool for large concerts with people on the parkade rooftops and grassy areas all around the site, all with decent views of the stage. integrated planning.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
But I can't take potshots at anyone, being a member of a profession that is accused (wrongfully, I might add) of making things less fun for everyone.
Wow! You must work in finance and have to tell project that while the concept from the architect sure is beautiful the cost to build it is out of line and they need to find a cheaper way to build it.

In terms of "The Festival Stage" or whatever you want to call it, the "stage" piece is really missing. For any event that occurs there with a raised stage they actually need to bring in an setup a temporary stage under the canopy. Imagine if the Concert Hall, Pantages or the Walker needed to bring in a temporary stage any time they hosted an event.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Wow! You must work in finance and have to tell project that while the concept from the architect sure is beautiful the cost to build it is out of line and they need to find a cheaper way to build it.
Haha... those dudes are the worst... what a bunch of killjoys!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:42 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:

In terms of "The Festival Stage" or whatever you want to call it, the "stage" piece is really missing. For any event that occurs there with a raised stage they actually need to bring in an setup a temporary stage under the canopy. Imagine if the Concert Hall, Pantages or the Walker needed to bring in a temporary stage any time they hosted an event.
Isn't this exactly what they do with the Cube? I've seen countless shows during Jazz, Fringe and Folk that put extra stage space in front of the cube, without a canopy.

Build something like Lyric...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Imagine if the Concert Hall, Pantages or the Walker needed to bring in a temporary stage any time they hosted an event.
I don't believe the comparison of a 24/7 / 365 day a year outdoor stage to established indoor venues is a fair comparison to make. The venues you listed were built for year round live shows and events. They're constructed to facilitate these kind of performances, although some live acts do bring in thier own lighting and stage set ups to customize thier particular act.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 6:37 AM
BANNED

For those who can handle the truth:

http://blackrod.blogspot.ca/2015/06/...nism-cmhr.html

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 2:20 PM

"A federal museum received a lot of government funding"

Who cares at this point? In many countries, the museum would be completely government-funded. In the UK, admission would be free. It's a government service. We should applaud the private sector funding it did receive and move on.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
For those who can handle the truth:

http://blackrod.blogspot.ca/2015/06/...nism-cmhr.html
Well that settles it. Let's tear it down.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 4:20 PM

For what it's worth , I was at the Canadian museum of immigration in Halifax last week (pier 21). They are expanding and building a whole new wing to fit the new mandate from Harper. They are also still billing themselves as the only national museum outside Ottawa. D'oh!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 5:28 PM

^ I hope you reminded them about our little museum here in Winnipeg

But that said, the CMHR does like to bill itself as the only (or was it the first?) national museum outside of Ottawa too... I kind of forgot about Pier 21, but you would think that it is entitled to that honour.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 5:15 PM

OR — IN A SHOCKING TWIST — is CMHR doing so well it already needs to expand?!?!?!

Quote:
Less than a year after opening its doors, the Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) is already undergoing a multimillion-dollar expansion.

Metro has learned more than $2.7 million is being spent to create a new Temporary Gallery on the museum’s main floor.
LINK

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
^ I hope you reminded them about our little museum here in Winnipeg

But that said, the CMHR does like to bill itself as the only (or was it the first?) national museum outside of Ottawa too... I kind of forgot about Pier 21, but you would think that it is entitled to that honour.
I believe CMHR was the first brand new national museum to be built outside Ottawa. However, while the CMHR was under construction, Pier 21 - which was an existing museum (not operated as a national museum) -- was designated a National Museum and re-branded the national museum of immigration. So both were first, in a way.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
OR — IN A SHOCKING TWIST — is CMHR doing so well it already needs to expand?!?!?!

LINK
Wow, that was unexpected. Have they already maxed out all the space in the existing building?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Wow, that was unexpected. Have they already maxed out all the space in the existing building?
Yeah I remember them saying many times that there was already temporary exhibit space. Are they all accounted for or is this another IGF "well the area is there but we didn't do anything with it" case.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 3:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder View Post
"A federal museum received a lot of government funding"

Who cares at this point? In many countries, the museum would be completely government-funded. In the UK, admission would be free. It's a government service. We should applaud the private sector funding it did receive and move on.
If the Museum had a legitimate mandate to draw attention to CANADIAN Human Rights issues, I would have no problem with public funding. However, the Museum is still just a watered-down Holocaust Museum (Izzy's main goal). I don't trust the Asper's, as time and time again, they ahve shown they cannot be impartial, and listen to what the Canadian public wants the contents of the Museum to be.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
If the Museum had a legitimate mandate to draw attention to CANADIAN Human Rights issues, I would have no problem with public funding. However, the Museum is still just a watered-down Holocaust Museum (Izzy's main goal). I don't trust the Asper's, as time and time again, they ahve shown they cannot be impartial, and listen to what the Canadian public wants the contents of the Museum to be.
Well because it's publicly funded and a National Museum they can't really fully control all of it, gov't has the power at the end of the day... and we've heard the stories of the federal government intervening on the content, so there's really a lot of things at play here (that shouldn't be).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:09 PM
BANNED

Meow

Last edited by Jets4Life; Jul 16, 2015 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
The temporary gallery space has been included since day one - it's going under one of the "roots" next to the main entrance. Budget constraints delayed its construction until this year. Ditto for a theatre which is also now being completed.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 7:14 PM

Sitting at the Goldeyes game last night, had a beautiful view of CMHR... but I can't get over how lame it looks at night. The north and East sides could really use some lighting to show it off and dramatize it. All those ledges and angles would look amazing lit at night, but the whole beauty is lost and undramatic when it's dark.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Sitting at the Goldeyes game last night, had a beautiful view of CMHR... but I can't get over how lame it looks at night. The north and East sides could really use some lighting to show it off and dramatize it. All those ledges and angles would look amazing lit at night, but the whole beauty is lost and undramatic when it's dark.
I agree. I know hydro costs money, but this building will never be iconic until it is lit up every night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan