HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 11:19 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Wasn't The Lodge site proposed as The Sliver Building or something like that? The ASU school had a city skyline model at the School of Sustainability that had all the then proposed developments and that was one of them (although, it was never a real concept). It was to be very tall (20-stories) and on an extremely narrow footplate, hence the name Sliver.
Yes I think so. Though in my memory it was even taller than 20 floors. But as you noted, it was never real in any way.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 1:03 AM

Ya the sliver idea was over 400ft! Wish it was real that's would be perfect for that spot!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 3:40 AM

Unfortunately for the news. I heard the news this morning. I found out about Albertsons. Other store is on Tatum Blvd & Greenway Rd is closed. I did not realize know that. I cannot not believe this. Because it was not enough customers. Only we have Desert Ridge Marketplace. We are always busier and it is successful.

http://realestatedaily-news.com/albe...s-one-phoenix/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 4:39 AM
skyscrapers!

Twitter post from @adamehunt indicates that the mysterious work going on at the Arizona Center is going to be a 1-1.5 year effort to update the exterior of the entire complex. It will be interesting to see the final result. I wonder if there will be any street facing retail, or if the current design will remain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Unfortunately for the news. I heard the news this morning. I found out about Albertsons. Other store is on Tatum Blvd & Greenway Rd is closed. I did not realize know that. I cannot not believe this. Because it was not enough customers. Only we have Desert Ridge Marketplace. We are always busier and it is successful.

It's a shame that there will be yet another massive vacant storefront. However, isn't there an Albertsons on the northeast corner of Tatum and Shea and one on Cave Creek and Union Hills? Albertsons is probably my least favorite grocery store in the area. All the stores seem outdated, there's no self checkout, the layout is strange, there's no grocery store membership program, and the prices are too high.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 4:49 AM
Skyriser

pocono, it's unlikely an exterior rehab alone would involve new retail spots. That would be a pretty major construction project with the installation of new loading areas for back of house. If AZC were going through that large of a makeover we probably would have heard about it already...tho 1 - 1.5 years sounds a long time. Hmm.

I would hope there's more tho. I don't think there is a more apt definition of "lipstick on a pig" than an Arizona Center exterior rehab.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post

It's a shame that there will be yet another massive vacant storefront. However, isn't there an Albertsons on the northeast corner of Tatum and Shea and one on Cave Creek and Union Hills? Albertsons is probably my least favorite grocery store in the area. All the stores seem outdated, there's no self checkout, the layout is strange, there's no grocery store membership program, and the prices are too high.
Yes, it is. This is where they used to be. We used lived on Shea Blvd & Cannon Dr before, but not anymore. I remember they have self checkout, but they remove it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 3:37 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post

That's awful. We lived in the neighborhood adjacent to that Albertsons for 23 years. The zoning fight over that property is how I first got involved in land use issues.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 2:39 AM

I actually rebuilt that skyline model in Downtown Phoenix from scratch, table and all. There will be an article about it up very soon (probably within the next week or two) on this new architecture blog called West Coast Architecture. I have found it quite interesting and informative, even though there are only 3 posts as of yet. It is still a work in progress, but if you get the chance you should check it out!

www.westcoastarch.blogspot.com

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 11:02 PM

Phoenix City Council to Vote on Roosevelt Row Housing Development Proposal

By Becky Bartkowski Tue., Jan. 28 2014 at 11:00 AM
Phoenix New Times

Phoenix City Council members will vote Wednesday, January 29, whether to approve a proposal to sell a city-owned lot at Roosevelt and Second streets to Roosevelt Housing Associates and approve RHA's proposal to build a mixed-use development, called The Row, and rehabilitate the historic Leighton G. Knipe House.

If approved, the housing portion of the development would include 56 to 75 units in buildings between three and five stories, with ground-floor resident amenities, offices, and live/work units. Between 80 percent and 85 percent of the units would be age- and income-restricted, meaning that leaseholders in such units would need to be 55 or older and not exceed a specified income level.

Additionally, the Knipe House would be revamped as a craft brewery and restaurant.

After taking community feedback on its original proposal, the developer has agreed to have approximately 15 percent to 20 percent of the units (about eight to 15 units) at market rate, with no age or income restrictions, creating a diverse, mixed-income project; require all tenants to sign an affidavit acknowledging they are moving into a vibrant arts district; develop street-level units as live/work artist studios; actively market the project to artists; and dedicate a portion of the common area space for local artists to prominently display their works.

This project proposal was chosen from four submissions: DAVIS/RoTwo (Mike Davis); Rainey Development LLC/Butler Housing Company Inc. (Wayne Rainey, Reid Butler); Roosevelt Housing Associates; and Urban Sol Development LLC (Feliciano Vera and partners).

The fact that the housing complex would be age-restricted has caused a kerfuffle.

In a mass e-mail sent Monday, January 27, Wayne Rainey, owner of Roosevelt Row's MonOrchid, shared his opinion on the City Staff-approved project. He wrote, "The possibility of AGE-RESTRICTED Housing, which would be irreversible for 30 years, could so quickly undo the momentum and alter the course of our Arts District forever." MonOrchid is located next to the lot at Roosevelt and Second streets.

In the same message, he also urged the city to restart the process and request new proposals, with mixed-use, mixed-income, and mixed-density housing, for the lot.

As noted above, Rainey had submitted a proposal for the lot. His vision included micro-apartments, 50 parking spots, an eatery installed in the Knipe House, a redesign of Second Street to connect Roosevelt Row to Hance Park, and a rooftop cinema at MonOrchid.

Rainey has a change.org petition calling for the city to restart the proposal process and include more community members and nearby property owners in the discussion about what to do with the lot. As of this writing, it has 486 supporters.

Architect and former Phoenix resident Taz Loomans took to bloomingrock.com to pen a response in December 2013 to Rainey's ongoing petition. She also overviewed the potential project and explained her stance on the matter. "I urge you not to sign this petition," Loomans wrote. "It is riddled with false and sensational statements and is working against a project that promises to be very good for the future of downtown Phoenix."

Loomans went on, "Let's not stop the positive evolution of downtown because of false propaganda. This is a solid development that will help the area immensely. It may not be everything to everyone (what is?), but it is a big step forward and fills in a gap in a downtown with many gaps to be filled. Squashing this development will just mean squashing the forward momentum that is happening in downtown."

Whatever your opinion, Wednesday, January 29's City Council meeting is open to the public and begins at 3 p.m. at Phoenix City Hall. The vote on the lot's sale and the development of The Row is the 23rd item on the agenda that afternoon.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 11:37 PM

The Row

Is there any renderings of this project? Is the apts fronting the street?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 6:09 AM

Yes, the apartments will front 2nd, with parking in the back, accessed from the alley aka a true urban design.
http://downtowndevil.com/wp-content/...row_design.jpg

In all honesty, this is a bunch of noise over a very small project. Yea, it's shitty that developers can't get financing for anything but senior living, but that's reality, and given how small the project is, I'd rather get some souls downtown with the bonus of giving some artists a place to live and work, and extend the arts vibe north. This developer did a fantastic job with Encore in Tempe and given the crap built downtown recently, I'm sure this would be a nice addition; I support The Row, but would be super happy if it were 7-8 stories and 70-75% market rate. Oh well.

These seniors know they are moving to an urban environment (and, they want to! Encore is fully leased, I think) and whose to say 55 year olds can't contribute to our downtown? These folks will have kids, possibly grandkids... Downtown can't be reserved for artists. Adding a bit to the family demographic isn't such a bad thing.

Anyway, the most important thing is that the Knipe House will be restored. Their idea for it was definitely the best, and I think a brewery will do awesome at that location. Excited to see the finished development! Too much empty land in that area.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:21 AM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Yes, the apartments will front 2nd, with parking in the back, accessed from the alley aka a true urban design.
http://downtowndevil.com/wp-content/...row_design.jpg

In all honesty, this is a bunch of noise over a very small project. Yea, it's shitty that developers can't get financing for anything but senior living, but that's reality, and given how small the project is, I'd rather get some souls downtown with the bonus of giving some artists a place to live and work, and extend the arts vibe north. This developer did a fantastic job with Encore in Tempe and given the crap built downtown recently, I'm sure this would be a nice addition; I support The Row, but would be super happy if it were 7-8 stories and 70-75% market rate. Oh well.

These seniors know they are moving to an urban environment (and, they want to! Encore is fully leased, I think) and whose to say 55 year olds can't contribute to our downtown? These folks will have kids, possibly grandkids... Downtown can't be reserved for artists. Adding a bit to the family demographic isn't such a bad thing.

Anyway, the most important thing is that the Knipe House will be restored. Their idea for it was definitely the best, and I think a brewery will do awesome at that location. Excited to see the finished development! Too much empty land in that area.
The parking situation is exactly what I like to see. I'm so glad that there won't be some huge parking lot with some massive building setback. What I am curious about is the angled street parking. That seems to be the new style downtown. Is there a reason for this? More cars can be parked in a limited space? Saving people from having to use parallel parking skills? It just seems dangerous for bikers and for other cars that are being driven down the street when you have people backing out at an angle. Not a complaint, just an observation. Back in angled parking seems much safer.

Won't this complex be available to some non-seniors as well? I thought that was an agreement that was settled with public input?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
The parking situation is exactly what I like to see. I'm so glad that there won't be some huge parking lot with some massive building setback. What I am curious about is the angled street parking. That seems to be the new style downtown. Is there a reason for this? More cars can be parked in a limited space? Saving people from having to use parallel parking skills? It just seems dangerous for bikers and for other cars that are being driven down the street when you have people backing out at an angle. Not a complaint, just an observation. Back in angled parking seems much safer.

Won't this complex be available to some non-seniors as well? I thought that was an agreement that was settled with public input?
Yes, it's great to see a development utilizing our alleys as they are meant to be. Makes shit like CityScape and the Ballpark proposal drive me mad.

As far as the diagonal parking, my only thinking is that they intend to narrow the street and given the width of the road, diagonal parking narrows the ROW for vehicles while providing additional buffer between the sidewalk. I could be way off base, though.

Yes, 15-20% of the units will be market rate. I just think that's a bit low considering how small the development is. Hence my wanting 25% instead.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:54 AM

Here is a link to my blog article about the model of Downtown Phoenix:
http://westcoastarch.blogspot.com/20...ale-model.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 8:29 AM

So, the initial plans for Hance Park and I'm totally confused. Granted the image is barely legible, and I wasn't at the presentation, but I don't think any additional information could save me from thinking "WTF?"

They've basically just added "picnic lawns" all over, given names to each section, and created 'the canyon' south of the Channel 12 building, which is a skating ramp. In other words, where the grandest entrance should be is a giant ditch.

The crowning jewel is some shade structure over Central; what?!? Why are we shading vehicles when we have acres of parkland begging for shade.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a single attraction being incorporated, so we're still left at square one: why would I go to Hance Park? God forbid I find it and it isn't 100 degrees out, there's no food, games, icons or programming. There "nave been talks" of food trucks, and the firehouse may eventually get renovated into a beer garden.

So, in other words, nothing will change. There are still no obvious entrances to draw pedestrians in. Shade is still lacking. And, lack of consistent food and attractions means that if you want to have a picnic, you'll likely have to share your sandwich with a hobo, because they'll still likely outnumber the residents who use the park.

Unless I'm totally missing something, they should finish up the dog park and use the rest of the money to plant trees around the core. This plan is a joke.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 3:12 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^ Yep, its pretty bad!

The "Cloud" over Central I think could actually be kinda cool. Its somewhat less of a shade thing and more of an iconic eye catcher to get people to realize there's something there. If you see higher quality renderings, there's food stalls down under the bridge, one on the north and one on the south side.

But yes, overall the plan is typical nonsense from landscape architects who are great at drawing, but not great at thinking "what would make a person use this space."

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCArch View Post
That's awesome. I don't understand, though, why you built it. And where. Do you get to keep it or something? Is that your attic space? It looks pretty cool, where is it?

Great job.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Very cool. Thanks WCArch.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Awesome work! And you are only 17?! Glad to see young people taking pride in things like this. I look forward to watching your blog grow with each new project downtown.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Isn't this the model of the city that was at the Phoenix Urban Research Lab that ASU built? The maroon pieces were supposed to be the elements that ASU was taking a part in. It was a fantastic model, really big and great for exploring how the city works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest