HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 9:20 PM
BANNED

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1500w

Tin Can Beach.....just raw beachfront land. People would park off the highway and walk down to the sand and surf. Many stayed overnight and unfortunately left trash behind.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
This will be of the minimum of interest, or less . . .
Au contraire. The beach/costal photos shared in this forum have always been among my favorites.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Au contraire. The beach/costal photos shared in this forum have always been among my favorites.
But think what your very kind encouragement might unleash on NLA! Things like

odinthor collection.

or

odinthor collection.

or

odinthor collection.

or

odinthor collection.

Dedicated Noirishers will methinks go . . .

Last edited by odinthor; Jan 14, 2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Forgot attribution...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 12:55 AM

Hermosa, Manhattan, Shakespeare Beach, Moses Sherman, Eli Clark

OK, beach it is.

I saw this 1909 image on ebay:

Reverse:

details:

Shakespeare Beach (a name I never heard as a child) has come up before in regards to this image posted by e_r:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Manhattan Beach, Calif. [1890s]

found back in Sept. 2016 on ebay

Does anyone recognize this area?

__
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
I showed the photo to Steve Meisenholder at the Manhattan Beach Historical Society and he agreed with several thoughts I had. First, the date is probably too early. There were really no buildings to speak of in the area that is now Manhattan Beach in the 1890s. Steve estimates the correct date to be around 1910....

[Steve added:]
"Here are a few more of my thoughts on the old photo. I want to clarify why there were houses along Longfellow Ave. in 1910. Longfellow was one of the streets laid out by Moses Sherman and Eli Clark in 1903 as part of their unsuccessful effort to establish a literary colony in the northern part of Hermosa Beach in 1903 to the east of Shakespeare Beach. Sherman and Clark had put in a trolley stop at Shakespeare Beach on their Los Angeles and Pacific (LAP) electrified railway line which which ran near the beach between Playa del Rey and Redondo Beach (begun in 1902 and completed in 1903)..."
Longfellow is just three or four blocks south of the Manhattan/Hermosa border (red line):

google maps

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Slim View Post
Trippy Sunset Blvd. film. The abandoned Pandora's Box at Sunset and Crescent Heights,
girl selling LA Free Press, coffee house.

Lots of good times on Sunset - Ben Frank's, Whisky, Fifth Estate, Sea Witch, The Trip, underground movies at cinematheque 16,
Harry's Open Pit, sitting on the wall that used to be next to the Whisky watching life stroll by....being hassled once by Kim Fowley
..shows at the Palladium, Kaleidoscope, Ciro's/Hullaballoo....
Slim, your memories led me down a massive rabbit hole yesterday.

via your mention of Kim Fowley, I found out about a place
that I hadn't heard of before (no doubt some of you have)

The Malibu Corral.

www.lsb3.com

"The Malibu Corral was a funky, wooden, one level structure painted green. It lay on the mountain side of the road,
about half way up the highway, and had a large gravel/dirt parking area in front. It had a long bar and small dance floor
and a stage about 8". At any given night the Corral would have hippies on acid and actors enjoying the atmosphere.
Bikers having their beers and musicians sitting in or hanging out in the crowd." What a trip.

The story goes:
Fowley heard an obscure band, St John Green, at the Corral & envisioned a new style of music"—"The Canyon" sound. (referring to Topanga Canyon)

St John Green was to become Fowley's muse as he wove a mystical tale about the 'Dark Shadows of the Canyon'
and the 'Mysterious Canyon' people who had left the world behind to become one with nature."
archive.is

below: Publicity shot of St John Green during its time as Fowley's 'muse'.

archive.is

I'm pretty sure I see a cross through the trees.
...for some reason, this doesn't look like Topanga Canyon to me.
(I'm thinking...maybe..somewhere near that little country church in Hollywood?)

I really dig this 'mystical' photograph.

archive.is

They're in someone's apartment holding up a lamp wrapped in a coat. (not quite what I was expecting )

Alas, St John Green made only ONE album.

rare/ebay
Yicks!

the back cover looks more familiar.
ebay

__

So here's the rub:

There doesn't appear to be many photographs of the Malibu Corral online.
I was hoping one of you might find additional photos of the place.
(I just found that one photograph, twice)

rub number #2

The location:

"The Malibu Corral was on the mountain side of the road,
about half way up the highway."

That's all I got.

I would like to see what's there now; and if any remnants of the place have survived. (I believe it burnt down in 1973)

any HELP would be appreciated...of course.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 14, 2018 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Tin Can Beach

odinthor collection, photo by young master odinthor

"the crossing of which was an interesting feature of the family beach-going"
I didn't know what you were talking about at first.

Are you referring to this elaborate foot bridge?

detail / lol.

And what in Sam Blazes is this??

odinthor collection

OK I'll wager a guess:

Is it a left-over piece of infrastructure at Fort MacArthur?
__

thanks for sharing these photographs odinthor.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Look what's on page 3 of the 1925 Santa Monica CD - a full page advert for the Loamshier Hospital at 1116 Princeton Street.

LAPL
Great find Hoss!

You know me...I just had to have a closer look at the photo.

Is that three pronged 'thingy' a decapitated tree painted white? (why would they paint it white?)

Before I enlarged the photo I thought the prong-thingy was a nurse waving her arms in the air. (although I did wonder about her skinny neck lol

This is a great find as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC

Tree Lined Driveway at Loamshire Hospital, 1941.

santamonica.pastperfectonline.com
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I hope you don't mind Hoss. I enlarged it a bit too. (I love it that much!)
__

PART TWO:

While searching for additional information on Lomshier/Loamshire Hospital, I happened upon another hospital in the vicinity that I wasn't aware of.

lapl / 1915-16 directory

below: the hospital appears to have had an 'outpost' closer to the tourist area. (unless that is an entirely different hosp. )

ditto

I'm unfamiliar with Fredericks Station too.

Here's an aerial of the former site at 2322 Superior Ave.

google earth

If I'm not mistaken, that triangular piece of land used to be an island (surrounded on all sides by canals),
but I haven't found the right map to show if this is true or not.

If true, that would place the hospital on a canal. cool

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 15, 2018 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:44 AM

Quote:
I didn't know what you were talking about at first.

Are you referring to this elaborate foot bridge?

detail / lol.
Of course, I rarely know what I'm talking about either. But I think I was thinking of how precarious it was for me, as a very young lad, to be in bare feet or flip-flops trying to negotiate the intricacies of crossing over the rails, what with all sorts of uneven surfaces to deal with, not to mention tin cans etc., and meantime the distraction of the probably only half-serious entreaties of my parents to make sure no train was coming from either direction. But the bridge would have worried me too. "I will fall," I would have been thinking, "into the deepest crevices of the earth."

Quote:
And what in Sam Blazes is this??

odinthor collection

OK I'll wager a guess:

Is it a left-over piece of infrastructure at Fort MacArthur?
__
Excellent guess; but wrong county. We're just across PCH from Tin Can Beach here, at Bolsa Chica proper (the estuary). Up on the hill, you see a structure which is, I believe, the remains of a gun club which was there long long before. One of our important old L.A. writers--who was actually in old L.A.--he sat boozing it up under the old Aliso once upon a time--Jackson Graves, describes in one of his books a visit to this gun club. All of which brings us to: My understanding was that the tumbledown structure we see close by had been a hunter's blind, to assist in working destruction on ducks 'n' such.

Quote:
thanks for sharing these photographs odinthor.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Here's another...

Manhattan Beach, Calif. [1890s]

found back in Sept. 2016 on ebay

Does anyone recognize this area?
I didn't see this photo until this evening, and I thought I would put in my two cents.

I grew up in Manhattan Beach. I lived and worked in Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo for most of my life. I know the Valley/Ardmore corridor where the railway tracks once were, and the surrounding topography, like I know the back of my own hand.

The one key feature in this photo that caught my attention is the fairly steep grade of the hillside in the upper left corner of the photo.

There simply is no hillside that steep anywhere near the corridor where the tracks once lay. The hills are all very gentle slopes.

"Circa 1912: Looking NE with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe (AT&SF) railroad tracks stretching towards El Camino Real (Sepulveda Blvd.) near the intersection with Rosecrans Blvd." [source: Manhattan Beach Historical Society]

"Circa 1920s: Looking east on Marine Ave. near where Pacific Ave. crossed the Santa Fe railroad tracks. Note the absence of Valley Dr. and Ardmore Ave." [source: Manhattan Beach Historical Society]

"Circa 1927: Aerial photo of the Manhattan Beach from above Looking north from just south of First St." (The Standard Oil Refinery is in the upper right, and the rail lines leading to it are clear as day. No steep hillsides in sight.)
[source: Manhattan Beach Historical Society]

I have no doubt that the photo ER shared does not show Manhattan Beach.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Great find Hoss!

You know me...I just had to have a closer look at the photo.

Is that three pronged 'thingy' a decapitated tree painted white? (why would they paint it white?)

Before I enlarged the photo I thought the prong-thingy was a nurse waving her arms in the air. (although I did wonder about her skinny neck lol

__
The tree trunk is painted with white clay or slow lime. The tree extends above the painted area if you look closely. Trees could be painted with the clay or lime for decoration or to protect the bark from sun scald or cracks. It's usually done to fruit trees, but some paint every tree in their yard. It was very common where I grew up (they had switched to white latex paint by then) and looks very nice in the summertime contrasting with the green grass and tree leaves.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
More browsing at Calisphere led to this picture, captioned "Street Scene in Glendale." I thought I'd take another try at providing a "Then and Now."

Calisphere.org

No date was given, but I would guess mid-20s from the cars. The obvious clue is the hotel name. I found it in the 1923 Glendale City Directory at 1531 S Central.

ancestry.com

Looking at the hotel, its name appears more aspirational than descriptive.

Here is a view from a contemporary Sanborn map showing the location of the camera and its field of view marked:

lapl.org

GSV makes available two views of the Hotel De Luxe corner, one from 2007 showing a cleared lot, and the second showing some Starbucks-containing-post-modernist nightmare that has just been built. I chose to show the earlier one here:

GSV

And finally, an inset:

Calisphere

Given the recent discussion of street lamps, I'm wondering if the experts could weigh in on the items circled in red in this inset. The one on the right looks like a gas pump; there seems to be a hose or tube running down its side. Also, what is the object in front of the hotel/garage? A bird bath?

Some of the buildings on the west side of San Fernando at Central look like survivors.
The buildings on the left side of your streetview were torn down last year, something new is being built. I agree that the new apartment building(it has the Starbucks in it) is really unimaginative. I drive by there when I need to get to the train station for my trips to DTLA.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:11 AM
BANNED

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 15, 2018 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:57 PM

More on the Bolsa Chica Gun Club:

Los Angeles Times 10/19/1899 via ProQuest via CSULB Library

I was going to add that, along with the fixed blind mentioned earlier, I also recall seeing what was evidently a moveable, wooden, one, on the site. If memory serves, it was painted a light, chalky, green.

The article states that the external appearance of the clubhouse was not attractive. Yes, indeed: From a distance, sixty years after it was built, it looked to me just like a barn.

___

Edit add:

The Bolsa Chica Gun Club in 1933; USGS Photo Library (slightly enlarged)

Last edited by odinthor; Jan 14, 2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Add photo; change "mobile" to "moveable."

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:13 PM
Vicious eddy

[IMG][/IMG] (interior shot of the decaying Vermont ave Presbyterian church 2017) old basketball in focus altar /rotting roof rafting in the background

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:26 PM

Originally Posted by Slauson Slim:

Trippy Sunset Blvd. film. The abandoned Pandora's Box at Sunset and Crescent Heights,
girl selling LA Free Press, coffee house.

Lots of good times on Sunset - Ben Frank's, Whisky, Fifth Estate, Sea Witch, The Trip, underground movies at cinematheque 16,
Harry's Open Pit, sitting on the wall that used to be next to the Whisky watching life stroll by....being hassled once by Kim Fowley
..shows at the Palladium, Kaleidoscope, Ciro's/Hullaballoo....

Great memories of the late 1960s and the Sunset Strip. We used to sell the Free (Freep) Press on the old Pandora's Box site for 15 cents, nine cents to the distributor (Mitch) and six cents to the seller. As soon as we got enough money, we went to Harry's Open Pit and got half a chicken with fries for 55 cents.

Saw "Don't Look Back" at the Fifth Estate (or was it the Cinematheque 16
?)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post

I have no doubt that the photo ER shared does not show Manhattan Beach.
I thought maybe south Redondo with the rise on the left being the start of PV, but I never could figure it out for sure.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
We used to sell the Free (Freep) Press on the old Pandora's Box site for 15 cents, nine cents to the distributor (Mitch) and six cents to the seller.
Did you ever happen to go over to the area "behind" Schwab's where there was a parking lot and were there any shops located in the back?

(This query is in reference to recent posts about a photograph that was taken back there.)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Did you ever happen to go over to the area "behind" Schwab's where there was a parking lot and were there any shops located in the back?

(This query is in reference to recent posts about a photograph that was taken back there.)
I'm sorry to say I never went to the parking area. Just inside and out front.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 1:46 AM

Here is Eddy's photograph in a more doable size.

Interior shot of the decaying Vermont Ave Presbyterian Church 2017 (old basketball in focus altar /rotting roof rafting in the background)

This is a really intriguing photograph Eddy
so I take it the sanctuary was being used as a basketball court. (were there hoops?)

If the roof had that much damage in 2007 I'm surprised there is still a roof ten years later!
In a harsher climate (like I'm accustomed to ) only the walls would be left.
__

Eddy has interior photographs of other dilapidated churches in L.A. that he plans to post on nla.
Can anyone give him pointers on how to minimize the size of the photographs
It depends on his web-hosting site, right? (I cheated & just used a screen-grab)

Thanks

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 15, 2018 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:25 AM

from last night:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality

There doesn't appear to be many photographs of the Malibu Corral online.

I just found this one photograph, twice)

The location:

"The Malibu Corral was on the mountain side of the road,
about half way up the highway."

That's all I got.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
I just found out why I was having difficulty.

The name of the bar was 'The Corral', but most people knew it as the 'Topanga Corral' (and not the 'Malibu Corral', like that dude from st john green called it

The snapshot below is from a blog named Topanga Corral (that has only two entries from back in 2011)

looks like a dump

tc.blog (check it out / there's a snapshot of George Harrison inside the place)

As for the location...

utter surprise

topanga messenger

"Topanga Mineral Springs, originally named Horshoe Bend Inn, was located on the plot of land near the big curve
at Santa Maria Road. In the 1960s and ‘70s the site was home to Topanga’s famous rock and roll club, The Corral." from the topanga messenger

Here's a better, and clearer, photograph when it was the Horseshoe Bend Inn.

calisphere

Perhaps we've seen this photograph before. (I remember talking about "Horseshoe Bend" some time ago on nla)
__

side note:
There is another photo of Topanga Mineral Springs that shows some sort of look-out point on the hill to the right (where those ropes are leading to in the pic above )
but it's from the ucla archives and their site appears to be down tonight.

maybe tomorrow.
__nite all

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos