HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:23 AM

Why are they "a bad combination for Phoenix"?

I think it looks nice. The colors go with the building, they're very period correct. It also stands out from the sea of brown.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Nov 8, 2019 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMatt View Post
I live in the Stewart, they aren’t even near the 50% mark yet; though there have been several new move-ins over the past few weeks.
I generally takes about one year for any new complex to be over 90 percent.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Man, the Hyatt looks terrible. What were they thinking?!

Not a fan of the Fry Building paint job either. The blue awnings and white paint are a really bad combination for Phoenix.
I hate the color combo more and more each time I look at it. With all the money they are spending, would it have really been much more to paint the remaining brown cobble-stone to something like gray or whatever doesn't clash with white?

Also, are they only doing street landscaping? Any chance of them adding some new retail spots on the 1st St. side? That whole stretch between Monroe and Adams is a complete dead-zone with no retail between both Hyatt and Renaissance.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I hate the color combo more and more each time I look at it. With all the money they are spending, would it have really been much more to paint the remaining brown cobble-stone to something like gray or whatever doesn't clash with white?

Also, are they only doing street landscaping? Any chance of them adding some new retail spots on the 1st St. side? That whole stretch between Monroe and Adams is a complete dead-zone with no retail between both Hyatt and Renaissance.
I'm pretty positive that on the Adams corner, the whole corner of the building is exposed and more than likely retail will be built there. On the Monroe side, that one hair salon already exists there. But the whole 1st St side is also under construction and the whole sidewalk has been torn up as well. I should've taken a picture from Adams, looking North up 1st St.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I'm pretty positive that on the Adams corner, the whole corner of the building is exposed and more than likely retail will be built there. On the Monroe side, that one hair salon already exists there. But the whole 1st St side is also under construction and the whole sidewalk has been torn up as well. I should've taken a picture from Adams, looking North up 1st St as well.
Agree that while the Hilton in general looks terrible I think the street interaction will be a huge improvement.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:10 PM

Phoenix planning commission recommends new midtown high-rise

Quote:
The Phoenix Planning Commission voted 6-0 at its meeting Thursday evening to recommend that City Council approve a planned mixed-use development proposed at Central Avenue and Thomas Road.

The building, proposed by Pederson Group Inc., will include ground-floor restaurants and retail</a>, and the upper floors will either be office, apartments or a mix of the two, said Jim Pederson, founder of Pederson Group. The project likely will be a joint venture between Pederson, which usually specializes in retail construction, and a developer specializing in high-rises.

ederson has owned the land since 2001, but billboard easements limited the property's development potential. Pederson said the company was able to reach an agreement with Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings Inc., which will incorporate the billboards into the parking structure of the building.

“The project will improve safety and aesthetics by developing an underutilized parcel to provide extensive street frontage and relocating the freestanding static billboards,” the development team wrote in a rezoning submittal to the city. “It will also improve the adjacent bus stop on Thomas Road and integrate it into the project’s design.”

The developer is requesting up to 350 feet in height for the building, which is consistent with nearby buildings. That height could allow for between 15 and 18 stories.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-midtown.html

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
350 feet in height for the building, which is consistent with nearby buildings. That height could allow for between 15 and 18 stories
15 and 18 stories? 350' could allow for up to 30 stories . Here's to hoping the developer decides to increase the building height. 350' would be amazing on that corner.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:20 PM
Modulator

Pretty nice YouTube video I found with a very up to date pan of the the craziness that's going on in Downtown Phoenix. Video looks like it was shot about 2 weeks ago just as the second X crane was going up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCe2BHG57Tw

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Pretty nice YouTube video I found with a very up to date pan of the the craziness that's going on in Downtown Phoenix. Video looks like it was shot about 2 weeks ago just as the second X crane was going up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCe2BHG57Tw
That shot with the X cranes and the Akara structures is the money! Really captures the strides downtown has taken. Height is great but the bulk to the skyline as seen from the west will be impressive, fingers crossed for all aspirant projects to break ground!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 10:36 PM

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 10:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Wonder if that's a live cam or not? I commented on the post. Hopefully it is. Good angle!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Wonder if that's a live cam or not? I commented on the post. Hopefully it is. Good angle!
Smart! Hopefully it is.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:16 PM

Also found this:

Block 23 Construction drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvuOQ6Kd-cg

Wish we had more of these for the other projects.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Also found this:

Block 23 Construction drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvuOQ6Kd-cg

Wish we had more of these for the other projects.
That drone footage is awesome

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 6:18 AM

So idk if anyone has noticed, a retail space in the Broadstone Roosevelt has had workers in and out of the space for months now. The concrete floor has been divided up and dirt is being moved inside. The ‘For Lease’ signs have been removed as well. Any idea?

For reference, this is the spot across the street from the future Greenwood Brewery.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 10:49 PM

Just curious about this as I was riding my bike around downtown yesterday. Why do they just let homeless people just congregate in front of that Federal Courthouse building across from 44 Monroe? I understand there is always going to be homeless in and around downtown but they just let them put tents up there like it’s Skid Row.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 1:46 AM

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Just curious about this as I was riding my bike around downtown yesterday. Why do they just let homeless people just congregate in front of that Federal Courthouse building across from 44 Monroe? I understand there is always going to be homeless in and around downtown but they just let them put tents up there like it’s Skid Row.
Hey - I joined just to post this.

I wrote to the GSA (GSA.gov). The Bankruptcy Court itself. I call Phoenix PD.

Nothing happens - full stop.

Phoenix PD says that it is Federal property. The GSA doesn't answer my snail mail and when I call them they take my complaint and don't follow-up.

It's ridiculous that the Federal government is such a bad neighbor.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:31 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativePHX View Post
Hey - I joined just to post this.

I wrote to the GSA (GSA.gov). The Bankruptcy Court itself. I call Phoenix PD.

Nothing happens - full stop.

Phoenix PD says that it is Federal property. The GSA doesn't answer my snail mail and when I call them they take my complaint and don't follow-up.

It's ridiculous that the Federal government is such a bad neighbor.
The ninth circuit has asserted that unless you offer a homeless person shelter, you can’t kick them out of the way. It is not illegal to be homeless.

If it’s any consolation, the federal government doesn’t do anything about the drug users on the federal building in San Francisco.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The ninth circuit has asserted that unless you offer a homeless person shelter, you can’t kick them out of the way. It is not illegal to be homeless.

If it’s any consolation, the federal government doesn’t do anything about the drug users on the federal building in San Francisco.
God I hate homeless people.

'What how can you be so heartless"

I hate them I wish I never had to see them or be around them

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:18 AM

I just don’t understand why it isn’t treated like private property. If you have no business there, a court date or something, why would they allow anyone to just hang out there and even camp? I don’t want to turn this into this huge thing but it’s not like that at any other building, what makes this ok there? I would be a little concerned if I lived at 44 Monroe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest